Author Topic: Search first, post afterwards  (Read 14895 times)

gcbosma

• View Profile
Search first, post afterwards
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:36:49 pm »
Hi all!

maybe an idea: now that a lot of objects have already been discussed in the forum, instead of posting them again, it might be an idea to first do a search with your object Id... You might already find your answer! :)
And quicker than waiting for an answer on a new topic, I think...

Not that I mind answering things, but the last days a lot of "I've seen that before" popped up!  ;)

Keep on clicking!!  :D

Edd

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Search first, post afterwards
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:38:37 pm »
Good reason to always post your ObjIDs too, even if you also link an image.

Nice idea gcbosma!
When I look up at the night sky and think about the billions of stars out there, I think to myself: I'm amazing. - Peter Serafinowicz

serpens

• Apathetic robot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 05:30:10 pm »
I have another idea - let's make this a global sticky thread.

Bjarne_Birkbak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 08:02:53 pm »
Now I see where I read the suggestion to search before posting
I read earlier this evening (danish time) a suggestion that you should search the Forum to see, if the galaxy (or other thing) you want to know something about, is already there.
But that - I think - most would not do - especially newbies that don't know the Forum.
How about creating some shortcuts?
I.e.: When I get a special blue blob i 'Galaxy Analysis' and I don't know if it is a blue elliptical, I can go to the Forum and try to find out if it has been posted and commented, but I might not find it.
That might be because I haven't been very good at using the search-function, but it is a little complicated to be sure that you have found it - if it is there.
Therefore: Couldn't you create a shortcut that meant that when I stand on my picture - which I am analysing - just could press i.e. F8 and then the program took a copy of the Galaxy Ref.-number, searched the Forum - and probably FAQ's and so on - and said: 'Here is some information' or 'Not Known'
or something like that.
Another shortcut could be one that took the URL and Galaxy Ref.-number and put it in a post-message, so that you wouldn't have to go all the way through ref-number, right-clicking, inserting and so on.
It might make the Forum a little less complicated to find your way aroun in, so it might be worthwile.

Hrundi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 09:19:04 pm »
I find that this might make the forum less lively though. We've already classified every galaxy on average about 8 times, right?

j_doe

• Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 02:28:54 pm »
Given the large number of photometric objects in some galaxies, it can be
hard to search by ObjID's.  How many digits of the OgjID should one use?

What about also posting the coordinates?  It is easier for me to tell if
it might be the same object.

gcbosma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 04:11:59 pm »
well, of course the whole ObjID would be best... you can just copy it from the analysis page. Anyhow, you should put it in any post you might submit, so you have to copy it anyway! ;)

j_doe

• Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 04:44:26 pm »
I guess I wasn't clear enough.  Some galaxies have multiple
ObjID's.  In order to find all close neighbors of the ObjID you have,
how much of your ObjID should one use in a search? 

gcbosma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 05:57:43 pm »
well, the only thing I suggested is doing a search on the forum with your ObjId to see if someone was presented the same object, and asked the same question as you might have...
when I get an object that is obviously part of a bigger galaxy, I try to navigate to the center of it and do a NED or SIMBAD search...
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do with the multiple photometric objects....

Edd

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 09:31:53 am »
Yeah, for this purpose I would just go with the whole ID. Object IDs aren't quite hierarchical enough to trim the end digits and still be able to search like that. It'd only be good to reduce the number of reposts, and if some still happen it's not a big problem.
When I look up at the night sky and think about the billions of stars out there, I think to myself: I'm amazing. - Peter Serafinowicz

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 09:33:36 am »
need to get everyone to post objID wiht their pics first!

hecate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 09:57:37 am »
Good suggestion, I tried it already for some time now and overall it works fine. When an object might be already posted under a different ID, I usually include that information in a post.

fletcherisimo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 09:33:47 am »
This is a very useful thing to know. As a "newbie" I don't to waste expert's time by asking a question that's already been asked. I only read this forum about 20 mins ago and already have done three searches on interesting galaxies. Two hadn't been mentioned before but one had - the same question I would have asked. So thanks for this tip.

j_doe

• Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 12:40:07 am »
I agree,  please post the ObjID.  Some people are posting
only coordinates, and some are posting only ObjID's.

It makes the search process much longer looking at both
of those and neighbors.

speedymarie

• Just call me Speedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 05:47:02 pm »
Also - note that when searching, the search bar only searches the area you are currently in. if you have opened a thread, the "search" will only search that thread. if you are in one of the sections of the board, the "search" only searches that board section. To search the entire Forum, you have to go to the main page that lists all the boards.