Author Topic: GalaxyZoo in the news again!  (Read 113751 times)

Capella05

• View Profile
Re: GalaxyZoo in the news again!
« Reply #795 on: June 25, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »
For those who don't know, there is currently an astronomy conference at Portsmouth (UK) , called NAMUK.  Galaxy Zoo and Citizen Science have been mentioned a few times and GZ posters displayed.

Yes; actually it's been going on since Monday. More info here. ;)

;D lol - several zookeepers may also of had a hand in organising it  ;)

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 25, 2014, 05:57:19 pm »
For those who don't know, there is currently an astronomy conference at Portsmouth (UK) , called NAMUK.  Galaxy Zoo and Citizen Science have been mentioned a few times and GZ posters displayed.

Unfortunately, some people (JT) haven't got access to Twitter, but for those who have, this is always worth a look - https://twitter.com/UnofficialNAM
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 25, 2014, 06:11:31 pm »

Unfortunately, some people (JT) haven't got access to Twitter, but for those who have, this is always worth a look - https://twitter.com/UnofficialNAM

Er, John, your link is also to a twitter page, like mine. Only mine went to the OFFICIAL page. ;) And you can read these messages if you don't have an account yourself so...

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Best Partnership Award goes to ... SpaceWarps! :-D
« Reply #798 on: June 28, 2014, 05:19:22 pm »
Copying my post in SW Talk yesterday (Friday, 27 June, 2014):

From yesterday's Daily Zooniverse [now Thursday's]:

Last night at the 2014 Broadcast Digital Awards, BBC Stargazing Live won the ‘Best Content Partnership’ award for its collaboration with the Zooniverse and, more specifically, the SpaceWarps project. They beat off competition from David Attenborough and Hollyoaks among others! You can read more about the award here. Well done to all involved, especially Amit Kapadia, the lead developer of the site, Michael Parrish for keeping the site alive under extreme traffic, David Miller for making it look awesome, and Aprajita Verma, Phil Marshall & Anupreeta More who are the scientists behind the project. Finally, we could not have done it without the overwhelming response from thousands of volunteers. Thanks to everyone who took part and made it such a special event!

After also receiving an award for Operation War Diary earlier this year we are talking about getting a trophy cabinet installed at Zooniverse HQ :P

I just added this comment on the Zooniverse's Google+ site:

Let's also give a shout out to the ordinary zooite members of the Space Warps Science Team, who are also mods on SW Talk, and who kept the floods of excited newbie zooites informed, engaged, and involved. Here's to you, Budgieye, c_cld, Capella05, ElisabethB, ... (sorry I don't have a list of all of you to hand)!

Well done everyone! :D

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Partnership Award goes to ... SpaceWarps! :-D
« Reply #799 on: June 28, 2014, 05:32:27 pm »
Copying my post in SW Talk yesterday (Friday, 27 June, 2014):

From yesterday's Daily Zooniverse [now Thursday's]:

Last night at the 2014 Broadcast Digital Awards, BBC Stargazing Live won the ‘Best Content Partnership’ award for its collaboration with the Zooniverse and, more specifically, the SpaceWarps project. They beat off competition from David Attenborough and Hollyoaks among others! You can read more about the award here. Well done to all involved, especially Amit Kapadia, the lead developer of the site, Michael Parrish for keeping the site alive under extreme traffic, David Miller for making it look awesome, and Aprajita Verma, Phil Marshall & Anupreeta More who are the scientists behind the project. Finally, we could not have done it without the overwhelming response from thousands of volunteers. Thanks to everyone who took part and made it such a special event!

After also receiving an award for Operation War Diary earlier this year we are talking about getting a trophy cabinet installed at Zooniverse HQ :P

(...)

(...)and Aprajita Verma, Phil Marshall & Anupreeta More who are the scientists behind the project.(...)

The astronomer Cecile Faure had been also involved to create Spacewarps! She deserves also credit!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 05:34:01 pm by zutopian »

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 28, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »
Should be some trophies handed out - I say that, as someone who last week, received a 22cm high trophy, for my work on one of my websites.
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 06, 2014, 12:48:45 pm »
We appeared on The Huffington Post site (in German).

My English version can be read here. :)

Infinity

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 07, 2014, 01:11:33 pm »
Nice one HH  ;)

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile