Author Topic: (GZ1) When I go into SDSS, the galaxy is the other way round! What's going on?  (Read 12277 times)

snowstargazer

• View Profile
Re: When I go into SDSS, the galaxy is the other way round! What's going on?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »
My thought is that Hi! and Goodbyes are only sweet when they are fresh, old ones are done. But interesting ideas live forever, and I'm still paying attention to clockwise and anticlockwise. By the way I'm unclear what the conclusion was that "eliminated" the bias. 

Alice, I'm sure this is a question for you!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thought for now I'd just modify the title . . .

We don't need to worry about space; text doesn't take up much bandwidth.

Originally, people were clicking ACW more often than CW, which was a tad worrying as it suggested that - from our point of view - there was a bias across the Universe. It was too many galaxies to write this off as coincidence. If the bias was real, people would have clicked CW more often with flipped images. They didn't - they continued to click ACW more, exactly the same amount! Hope that helps ;D

snowstargazer

• View Profile
Thought for now I'd just modify the title . . .

Originally, people were clicking ACW more often than CW, which was a tad worrying as it suggested that - from our point of view - there was a bias across the Universe. It was too many galaxies to write this off as coincidence. If the bias was real, people would have clicked CW more often with flipped images. They didn't - they continued to click ACW more, exactly the same amount! Hope that helps ;D

Yes, that helps tremendously. Very clear, compact explanation. It sounds like the bias is within us, not "out there". Brilliant way to test, hats off to the person that thought of such a simple and clear way to find out.

edit: this post is scientifically accurate, and is not a joke. See following posts for the humor section.

Recently I went to sleep after being up most of the night. Just as I entered sleep I seemed to twirl my way into sleep. I immediately engaged my scientific mind and thought, must observe whether I'm spinning clockwise, or anti-clockwise (I knew Alice was interested in these things). I was spinning anti-clockwise.

I thought about it for a bit and realized that during the time I'd spent looking at the sky through my telescope, the earth where I'd been standing was spinning anti-clockwise, making the sky appear to be moving "clockwise", which we got, (clockwise), from the sun's apparent motion, both the sun, and the shadows, (think sundial).

So every time we lay down and sleep; helpless in our dreams; we twirl anti-clockwise through the night.

And all day awake, twirling, twirling anti-clockwise.

Perhaps we are simply so anti-clockwise dizzy that we get mixed up, and mark a few extra anti-clockwise.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:34:30 am by snowstargazer »

weezerd

• View Profile
That's an interesting observation from Gazer!  Here's another one...

I have recently developed a balance problem, which is my problem.
However, I have noticed that when I am progressing across the room
I will feel as though the top half of my body is twisting to the right,
in other words a clockwise trend.  ::)
At the same time my whole body leans out and back to the left
creating another orbit which is also clockwise.
Ever tried saying Orrery with a mouthful of toast?
...No,  neither have I but I can imagine!! :o

So if Gazer's thesis is the norm, does that make me anti-norm or uncle-frank?
I think we need to know before I come to another meet in case Gazer gets snowed under! :D
Oh let me just a moment stay
where time is not and angels play the paeans of the galaxies;
then speed the stardust on its flight
to change dread darkness into light, cold chaos into ecstasy!

snowstargazer

• View Profile
That's an interesting observation from Gazer!  Here's another one...

I have recently developed a balance problem, which is my problem.
However, I have noticed that when I am progressing across the room
I will feel as though the top half of my body is twisting to the right,
in other words a clockwise trend.  ::)
At the same time my whole body leans out and back to the left
creating another orbit which is also clockwise.

I once saw the word "chiropractor" written in a newspaper. I feel that this makes me qualified to diagnose your balance problem without the need to examine you - or even meet you.

Clearly your balance is disturbed because, while constantly twirling, twirling anti-clockwise, your upper body is twisting clockwise, thus totally disrupting your equilibrium. The "lean" you refer to is simply a secondary characteristic of the displacement, a natural attempt to balance the clockwise twist of the upper body.

The treatment is to reach up and put your left hand horizontally on your forehead, fingers to the right. Put your right hand in the mirrored position on the back of your head.

You will use your hands to twist your head to the left, thus imparting an anti-clockwise motion to the fluid in the cochlea of the inner ear, while at the same time breaking free the stress which has accumulated in the tiny muscles that link the vertebrae. This will instantly rectify your balancing difficulties.

Of course, this will only work if you suddenly twist your head, and here is the important part, you must do it when you least expect it, so that you will be relaxed. Tension will only aggravate the problem.

Dr. Snowy

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:28:39 am by snowstargazer »

weezerd

• View Profile

!

I feel better already. Thank you, thank you, thank you...
Oh let me just a moment stay
where time is not and angels play the paeans of the galaxies;
then speed the stardust on its flight
to change dread darkness into light, cold chaos into ecstasy!