Author Topic: How to... zoom?  (Read 6695 times)

Fred R

• View Profile
How to... zoom?
« on: July 20, 2008, 07:42:27 pm »
 <<zoom out!>>

Newbie here, be gentle.

Have been trying to find out how to zoom in and out of a picture. Could someone please explain in words of one syllable. Thanks

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:24:02 pm by Hanny »

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
Re: How to... zoom?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 08:28:51 pm »
Hi Fred and welcome to the zoo, don't worry, we are usually gentle. ;)

I moved your post from Alice's topic about the size of images, to it's own topic, as your question is about something else. It's a good question and I think more people have asked this before, (couldn't find where though) so it could be good to have a topic for it. :)

If you click on the ref number on the analyse page, it will take you to the sdss page of the image. There you'll see a smaller version of your picture. If you click on that, it will lead you to another page, with a bigger version of the picture. There, on the left, right under the text "get image", you can zoom in and out.

Hope that helps, if not, let me know. ;)

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 07:19:00 am »
Welcome to the zoo Fred R.

Fred R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:34:14 pm »
Hanny and Half65 many thanks for your response.

Blame the sunny days for my late response!   :D

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:42:33 pm »
Heh, sure, you're welcome. ;)

MartijnGroeneveld

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 02:50:19 pm »
Hey Hanny,

I've got a question about this aswell. I've been stunned by some of the galaxies posted in the "Stunning Sights" section, but I've noticed something. Some of the pics in there almost look like high-definition in comparrisson to the ones I've come across during analysis. I've tried zooming in using sdss but that's not really zooming in, like say the thing you can do in Google Earth. Sdss blows up pixels, you don't get a higher resolution.
Is it just a question of putting in the hours and getting lucky, or is there a way to enhance every picture you want?

Groetjes, ;)
Martijn

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 02:54:13 pm »
Welcome to the zoo, I'm not Hanny but I can answer your question: no, we can't change the resolution. The SDSS telescope has imaged some extremely faraway galaxies (look at a thread in Weird & Wonderful called "Biggest Redshift z"!), and they appear featureless because they're so fuzzy. We have no choice but to click "star/don't know" for these galaxies. If we could change the resolution we would, but they appear so small that they're only a couple of pixels across - they are as far away as the telescope can see. The telescope is imaging so many galaxies, I think that is its priority, not to enhance picture quality. If we really want an enhanced image we need to point a telescope back at it for second look - the overlaps and the Voorwerp being examples of this.

Enjoy the galaxies! :)

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 02:59:05 pm »
Just to add a Welcome to the zoo MartijnGroeneveld

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 03:14:54 pm »
Hey Hanny,

[...]

Is it just a question of putting in the hours and getting lucky, or is there a way to enhance every picture you want?

Groetjes, ;)
Martijn

Hoi Martijn and welcome to the zoo. ;)

So yes, keep clicking for the "better looking ones".

Groetjes,
Hanny. ;D

MartijnGroeneveld

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 05:09:51 pm »
Alice, Half65, Hanny

Thanks for the info and welcome... Nice to see this forum is so alive... Instant answers are the best...

Anyway, Hanny, I guess putting in some elbowgrease shouldn't be a problem... I find myself strangely attracted... :) so eh...

Oh wait... Got another question... Is there a place I can see how much galaxies have been analyzed so far? Or have they all been done already? I read something about 80.000 or more registered users...

Groetjes,
Martijn

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 05:13:49 pm »
Hi again Martijn,

It was 150,000 users last I heard. And all the galaxies have been seen by now, on an average of 50 times. This is fantastic for the database - more and more data! It really irons out mistakes (which all of us make), and shows up which galaxies should be looked at as uncertainties, and much more.

You could look up the SDSS website to find out more about the imaging, and contact them if you are interested . . . The SDSS is the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, the telescope which took all those pictures, for many projects besides ours.

You can read a lot more on the Galaxy Zoo Blog about how we're doing and the galaxy progress. Another good place is Latest News from Galaxy Zoo. And the wonderful Nereid is writing some specific threads on this forum specially to organise our news.

MartijnGroeneveld

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:17:11 pm »
Thanks a bunch, Alice... :)

Pagon_Heart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 01:04:43 am »
Hello everyone,
   Hanny: thank You that will help, up till now the two images i have tried i used the pix res & zoom in win xp.  not much help but kept me looking for longer than i would have i hope your suggestion  help will try soon.
   Alice: i learned something today i did not know that thank you that will help with understanding when i get red eye,ed from stubbornly over focusing for to long, also ty for hte info on galaxy views.
the heart wants what it wants

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 09:32:23 am »
You're welcome and welcome to the zoo. ;)

astroboyOW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »
As I look at an analyze page, the only number I see is the copyright date at the bottom.  Where is this reference number that will take me to the SDSS page so I can zoom out?  Did I miss this in the tutorial?

Thanks,
Jeff