Author Topic: Attachment rules  (Read 4565 times)

Edd

• Admin
    • View Profile
Attachment rules
« on: August 07, 2008, 08:12:32 am »
Hi everybody,

I've changed the rules regarding posting attachments - mainly as a number of people like to post bmp files for their images which are rather inefficient.

From now on, you are only able to post attachments that are
jpg - this is best for most images and what SDSS images come as anyway
gif
png - these two are best for things like screenshots, diagrams and images that are more cartoon-like than photo-like
pdf - for any document needs
txt

Other file types may of course be linked, but you'll not be able to upload and attach them to a forum message.

If there's a particular filetype you think there's a good case for having, let me know by posting in this thread and I'll consider adding it.
When I look up at the night sky and think about the billions of stars out there, I think to myself: I'm amazing. - Peter Serafinowicz

laihro

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: Attachment rules
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:13:02 pm »
Hi Edd,

hope you've had a smooth journey home after our Oxford meeting.

What I miss is ZIP-files. I have to use them in order to keep my object lists within the allowed attachment size limit. I know that ZIPs can be a security issue, but this forum does not handle attachments fool proof anyway. I currently label my files "objectlist.zip.pdf" and tell people to remove the pdf ending.

Another issue are very large files. EigenState produced some pdf documents that I would like to read. I'm talking about the introductions to Electronic Spectroscopy and Spectral Line Profiles. Because of the attachment size limitations he lets jlowe host the files. Jlowe on the otherhand is either not willing or unable to make the files public accessible.
I don't ask to rise the attachment size limit, but would'nt it be possible to host some zoo related big files on the forum server?

Cheers,
laihro
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:14:35 pm by laihro »
IMHO. And I don't have a clue ...

waveney

• Irregular Galaxy Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 06:27:50 pm »
Hi Edd,

hope you've had a smooth journey home after our Oxford meeting.

What I miss is ZIP-files. I have to use them in order to keep my object lists within the allowed attachment size limit. I know that ZIPs can be a security issue, but this forum does not handle attachments fool proof anyway. I currently label my files "objectlist.zip.pdf" and tell people to remove the pdf ending.

Another issue are very large files. EigenState produced some pdf documents that I would like to read. I'm talking about the introductions to Electronic Spectroscopy and Spectral Line Profiles. Because of the attachment size limitations he lets jlowe host the files. Jlowe on the otherhand is either not willing or unable to make the files public accessible.
I don't ask to rise the attachment size limit, but would'nt it be possible to host some zoo related big files on the forum server?

Cheers,
laihro

I am happy to host them (with public access)
Join the Irregular Classifiers
We all help at the cutting edge of ignorance.

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 09:04:06 pm »
Greetings,

The two pdf documents mentioned above are approximately 450KB and 550KB.  If the forum management wants them available to the membership, they should be able to find the space on their servers to host them officially.

Best regards,
EigenState

Edd

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:24:45 pm »
I no longer run the forum servers. I don't know what space we have available and if the limits can be increased.

I think given the rarity with which we are presented with such issues it is most effective to take up other hosting offers as you then will not need to wait for the Zoo admins to get round to dealing with it.

edit: the above was posted a while ago from a mobile phone. The terseness should be taken to be a result of the method of entry and not my opinions on this!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:42:05 pm by Edd »
When I look up at the night sky and think about the billions of stars out there, I think to myself: I'm amazing. - Peter Serafinowicz

laihro

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 03:11:40 am »
I no longer run the forum servers. I don't know what space we have available and if the limits can be increased.

I think given the rarity with which we are presented with such issues it is most effective to take up other hosting offers as you then will not need to wait for the Zoo admins to get round to dealing with it.

OK :) **remember not to ask more than one question per post anymore **

What do you think about allowing ZIP-file attachments?

[..]
[..]
IMHO. And I don't have a clue ...

Edd

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 09:31:48 am »
Seems reasonable to me. :) I'll see if I can fix that up a bit later

Edd

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:06:14 am »
Should be possible now

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:02:48 pm »
Greetings,

The links within my signature should now lead directly to PDF versions of both articles.  Both links are to the same location where either or both articles can be downloaded.

Checksums are provided within the comments to each file.

Best regards,
EigenState

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
Re: Attachment rules: changes or bugs?
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:37 am »
Many attachments are no longer showing up, even if they have been viewed hundreds of times:
example: msg http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=6927.msg619886#msg619886

Is it a bug or any server change (link broken) or whatever else?

How could we mitigate this? thanks for help
c_cld

Arfon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 01:38:54 pm »
OK, looks like I had some permissions set wrongly on the server. This should be fixed now.

Cheers
Arfon