Author Topic: Galaxy Zoo Papers  (Read 7818 times)

Nereid

• View Profile
Galaxy Zoo Papers
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:34:47 pm »
In this thread I intend to keep a complete list of all papers arising from the Galaxy Zoo (GZ) project.

By 'papers', I mean those published in a relevant, peer-reviewed astronomy journal; this excellent blog entry by Kevin, on 28 March 2008, gives a summary of how scientific research goes from discovery to publication, and includes a link to a blog entry by Steven, dated 15 February 2008, on how a paper is actually written.

For each I intend to list its title, authors, and the ADS reference.

I will also include links to GZ Forum posts and blog entries directly relevant to each paper.

That list will be the second post in this thread; I intend to update it, by editing it, as more GZ papers are published.

Originally I had intended to include the abstract of each paper too; I now realise that this will be unwieldy, even for five papers, and much worse as the number of published papers grows.

The third post in this thread will comprise papers whose preprints are publicly available but which are not yet published; the content of the post will be the same (i.e. title, authors, ADS reference, links to GZ Forum posts and blog entries).  I intend to update it, by editing it, as papers become published, and as new preprints become available.

The fourth post will be less formal: a list of papers announced but not even a preprint yet available publicly.

In the fifth post I will briefly mention papers which reference, or cite, published GZ papers, unless they are already included in the second post.  These papers will, I expect, generally use results from GZ projects indirectly; how many there are and how quickly the list grows will be a measure of the impact of the GZ project in the astronomy community.

In preparing this thread, I came across several GZ Forum posts and blog entries which mention future papers in a general sense; I intend to collect these hints together in the sixth post.

As this thread is, of necessity, written within the framework of the internet forum software in which it resides, change control is weak.  The seventh post will attempt to keep track of major content changes to this post.

In a separate thread I would like to present the same sort of one-stop shopping set of posts for GZ projects that have been announced but for which there are not even hints that papers have been, or are being, written.

I hope zooites and guests will find this new thread useful and helpful. 

I welcome comments, suggestions, etc!  :)  But please, if I may, could I ask you to send them to me in a Private Message, or put them in a different thread?  I'd like to keep this thread as clean and short as possible.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:49:31 pm by Nereid »
Here is a wonderful astronomy discussion forum, and PhysicsForums is great for discussing physics (and for homework help)

Nereid

• View Profile
Papers published
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:39:33 pm »
The first paper:

Galaxy Zoo: the large-scale spin statistics of spiral galaxies in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

Land, Kate; Slosar, Anže; Lintott, Chris; Andreescu, Dan; Bamford, Steven; Murray, Phil; Nichol, Robert; Raddick, M. Jordan; Schawinski, Kevin; Szalay, Alex; Thomas, Daniel; Vandenberg, Jan

ADS reference: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2966.2008.13490.x

This link, from the 22 May blog entry below, takes you to the astro-ph abstract of the version of this paper that was accepted for publication; click on one of the links in the Download section (top right) to get the paper itself.  The three earlier versions of the paper are also available from this astro-ph webpage.

Blog entry (27 Dec 2007): introduction to the first four papers
Blog entry (31 Dec 2007): summary of the bias study
Blog entry (25 Mar 2008): paper submitted
Blog entry (22 May 2008): paper accepted
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:32:07 pm by Nereid »
Here is a wonderful astronomy discussion forum, and PhysicsForums is great for discussing physics (and for homework help)

Nereid

• View Profile
Preprints of papers publicly available
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:45:24 pm »
The second paper:

Galaxy Zoo : Morphologies derived from visual inspection of galaxies from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

Lintott, Chris J.; Schawinski, Kevin; Slosar, Anze; Land, Kate; Bamford, Steven; Thomas, Daniel; Raddick, M. Jordan; Nichol, Robert C.; Szalay, Alex; Andreescu, Dan; Murray, Phil; van den Berg, Jan

ADS reference (ArXiv preprint): http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008arXiv0804.4483L
ADS reference (MNRAS paper): http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/abs/2008MNRAS.389.1179L

Blog entry (30 Apr 2008): preprint now online
Blog entry (6 Jul 2008): paper accepted

2007 AAS Meeting ("Preliminary Results from Galaxy Zoo: The Sloan by Eye")

The third paper:

Galaxy Zoo: the independence of morphology and colour

Bamford, Steven P.; Nichol, Robert C.; Baldry, Ivan K.; Land, Kate; Lintott, Chris J.; Schawinski, Kevin; Slosar, Anze; Szalay, Alexander S.; Thomas, Daniel; Torki, Mehri; Andreescu, Dan; Edmondson, Edward M.; Miller, Christopher J.; Murray, Phil; Raddick, M. Jordan; Vandenberg, Jan

ADS reference: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008arXiv0805.2612B

Blog entry (17 May 2008): paper submitted; with update "now available"
Blog entry (6 Aug 2008): a referee's response received

The sixth paper:

Galaxy Zoo: Chiral correlation function of galaxy spins

Slosar, Anze; Land, Kate; Bamford, Steven; Lintott, Chris; Andreescu, Dan; Murray, Phil; Nichol, Robert; Raddick, M. Jordan; Schawinski, Kevin; Szalay, Alex; Thomas, Daniel; Vandenberg, Jan

ADS reference: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008arXiv0809.0717S

Mentioned in a poster at the Extragalactic Workshop on "Semi-analytic models - are we kidding ourselves?" (24-25 Jun 2008)
Blog entry (16 Aug 2008): link to workshop and poster
Forum thread (5 Sep 2008): "Slosar et al. (in prep.)"
Blog entry (5 Sep 2008): Paper number 6 online
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:17:06 pm by Nereid »

Nereid

• View Profile
Papers announced but not even the preprint yet available publicly
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:27:59 pm »
The fourth paper:

Galaxy Zoo: A sample of blue early-type galaxies at low redshift

Kevin, Chris, Daniel, Marc, Dan, Steven, Sugata, Sadegh, Kate, Phil, Robert, Jordan, Anže, Alex, Jan, Sukyoung

Blog entry (25 Jun 2008): paper submitted

The "fifth" paper:

Galaxy Zoo: 'Hanny's Voorwerp', a quasar light echo?

Chris, Kevin, Bill, Hanny, Edward, Daniel (Thomas), Nicola, Daniel (Smith), Peter, Matt, Dan, Steven, Kate, Phil, Robert, Jordan, Anže, Alex, Jan

Blog entry (11 Jul 2008): first blog entry that I could find referencing this paper (!)
Blog entry (6 Aug 2008): paper submitted

The (first?) "Citzen Science" paper

Galaxy Zoo: Motivations of Citizen Scientists (abstract title)

Raddick, Jordan; Lintott, C.; Bamford, S.; Land, K.; Locksmith, D.; Murray, P.; Nichol, B.; Schawinski, K.; Slosar, A.; Szalay, A.; Thomas, D.; Vandenberg, J.; Andreescu, D.

2008 AAS meeting: "Galaxy Zoo: Motivations of Citizen Scientists"
Forum thread (15 Jan 2008): "Galaxy Zoo Meets Social Science"
2007 AAS meeting: "Galaxy Zoo: An Experiment in Public Science Participation"

The "Mergers" paper

Why, where and how the beautiful galaxy mergers occur (not the actual title!)

Daniel Darg

Blog entry (15 Apr 2008): "Merger Hunters needed"
Forum post (27 Jul 2008): draft paper being written

Another 2007 AAS meeting abstract:

Analysis of a Restricted Sample of Specimens from the Galaxy Zoo

Hayes-Gehrke, Melissa N.; Shores, S.

ADS reference: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2007AAS...211.1320H
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:15:50 pm by Nereid »

Nereid

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:32:17 pm by Nereid »

Nereid

• View Profile
General references to future GZ papers
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:27:54 pm »
{very much a WIP!  ;)}

zookeeperChris (10 Jan 2008): a post in the NEW! Galaxy Zoo Science Blog! thread "[...] and another exciting result which we'll be announcing on the blog later. I would be very surprised if we didn't publish ten Galaxy Zoo papers this year (that's a lot). [...]" (I need to check if the exciting result is already covered in this thread)

zookeeper_Kate (11 Jan 2008): a post in the NEW! Galaxy Zoo Science Blog! thread ([...] we still have lots of other cosmology (this strange excess thing was never part of our original cosmology motivation, see here for example). We can still look for an 'axis' about which galaxies rotate, as well as examine structure formation theories by looking at neighbour-neighbour correlations (as mentioned here). [...]" (I need to add the URLs, in the original, to the "here"s)

zookeeper_Kate (13 Jan 2008): a post in the NEW! Galaxy Zoo Science Blog! thread "Well - the papers aren't written yet! But as soon as they are then we will let you know (end of Jan we hope). [...]" (I need to check with zkKate that I've captured them all in this thread)

ZookeeperChris (20 Mar 2008): a post in the Chris Linnott’s talk at the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) (14/3/08) thread "[...] The latest is that one paper is done, and the other three of the first round are done. At least three others aren't far behind..." (I need to check with zkChris that I've captured them all in this thread)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:45:43 pm by Nereid »

Nereid

• View Profile
Major edits to the OP
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 04:28:05 pm »
19 Aug 2008:

* Title change ("Publications" -> "Papers")
* Para 2 added, to clarify the scope
* Intent of fifth, sixth, and seventh posts added
* Note about comments etc added
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:36:44 pm by Nereid »

Nereid

• View Profile
Tracking papers, from first mention to publication
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 04:28:21 pm »
5 Sep 2008:

"Slosar et al. (in prep.)" (mentioned but not even a preprint) -> The sixth paper (preprint available)

12 Sep 2008:

The "Mergers" paper {null} -> (mentioned but not even a preprint)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:13:44 pm by Nereid »

Nereid

• View Profile
Re: Galaxy Zoo Publications
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 04:36:20 pm »
Thanks to everyone who sent me PMs about this thread.

Based on the feedback, and some further ideas of my own, I'll be making I've made some changes later today; some points:

* content of this thread to be more clearly, and narrowly, defined: GZ papers published in relevant peer-reviewed journals; i.e. not all "publications" [DONE]

* link to ZookeeperKevin's excellent blog entry on peer review [DONE]

* new category: papers referencing GZ papers [DONE]

* clearer, more explicit instructions on how to access/obtain any of the published papers [DONE]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:40:04 pm by Nereid »

Nereid

• View Profile
Status updates
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 04:58:40 pm »
12 Sep 2008:

I've finished checking the GZ Forum for references to papers (content, status, authors, etc); next I'll be doing the same for the GZ Blog and the temporary forum.

The second paper has now been published, but I don't have a URL to the version that actually appears in MNRAS yet.

Things on my "To Do" list include:
* editing the OP to include the public commitment(s) to making all GZ papers available
* contacting the zookeepers to ask for feedback, comments, etc, esp re the items in the sixth post
* working out a better way to keep track of "papers which reference, or cite, published GZ papers" - I'm sure this will grow to be the biggest post before too long
* adding details of how the GZ data can be accessed, and the history of references to it - not, strictly speaking, papers, but a vital part of the GZ project

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Zoo Papers
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 10:42:51 am »
ADS Search Results on title "Galaxy Zoo"