Author Topic: Why do you love Astronomy?  (Read 26785 times)

Zwielicht

• View Profile
Re: Why do you love Astronomy?
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 05:34:04 pm »
I don't know, there's just something so achingly beautiful about the night sky full of stars that makes me want to be as close to it as I can. Every night, even when it's cloudy, the first thing I do when I go outside is look up. I've always wondered who else might be out there (sometimes I didn't even think I was human), and now that I'm older and disillusioned with the world, it's comforting to think that maybe, just maybe, there's another civilization out there that has figured out how to live peacefully with itself.

When I was about as young as I can remember, I wanted to be an astronaut; now I lean more towards being an astronomer, though I'd still dearly love to be able to go aboard the ISS. My mind isn't wired for math--I have to speak long equations out loud to solve them @.@--yet somehow when I get to chemistry, physics, and astronomy, everything clears up. Astronomy is just the only thing that feels completely right for me.

Joseph K. H. Cheng

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 04:55:31 am »
I don't know, there's just something so achingly beautiful about the night sky full of stars that makes me want to be as close to it as I can. Every night, even when it's cloudy, the first thing I do when I go outside is look up. I've always wondered who else might be out there (sometimes I didn't even think I was human), and now that I'm older and disillusioned with the world, it's comforting to think that maybe, just maybe, there's another civilization out there that has figured out how to live peacefully with itself.

When I was about as young as I can remember, I wanted to be an astronaut; now I lean more towards being an astronomer, though I'd still dearly love to be able to go aboard the ISS. My mind isn't wired for math--I have to speak long equations out loud to solve them @.@--yet somehow when I get to chemistry, physics, and astronomy, everything clears up. Astronomy is just the only thing that feels completely right for me.

Hi, Zwielcht, follow your instincts and you may be surprised to find out where it can lead you. ;D ;D ;D

JKHC.
" Only connect ! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its highest ." - by E.M. FORSTER from his novel -  "HOWARDS END ".

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 10:38:55 pm »
Hello everyone!  Hanny posted something very interesting here:   http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=276699.0
Please take a look.

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

*kittykat*

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2009, 05:27:02 am »
I've loved astronomy for as long as I can remember. I remember when I was really young, my dad and I would lay in the backyard and he would point at constellations and tell me the stories behind them. (back then it seemed like my dad knew everything!). We used to stay up every year for the meteor showers in August, and it was always so beautiful :) Also I would hear stuff from my uncle about astronomy, who worked at the palomar observatory (i'm so lucky). Just looking at the building was amazing, so seeing the pictures it took just blew my mind. They were so colorful and (for lack of words) be ee a utiful! ;D

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2009, 08:09:53 am »
I've loved astronomy for as long as I can remember. I remember when I was really young, my dad and I would lay in the backyard and he would point at constellations and tell me the stories behind them. (back then it seemed like my dad knew everything!). We used to stay up every year for the meteor showers in August, and it was always so beautiful :) Also I would hear stuff from my uncle about astronomy, who worked at the palomar observatory (i'm so lucky). Just looking at the building was amazing, so seeing the pictures it took just blew my mind. They were so colorful and (for lack of words) be ee a utiful! ;D
;D ;D Welcome to the zoo ;)

Galactic Penguin SST

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2009, 02:11:28 pm »
I would say my process of felling in love with astronomy is pretty strange: :P
I was always some sort of bookworm (from a very young age), and I always spend my spare time as a kid inside the library. One day (when I was five or six), I was reading books about how the "magical machine" (a.k.a. the computer) works in the public library when I noticed that the shelf next to mine was filled in with books about stars and the universe. I then take one of the books out and started to read and saw all those beautiful pictures of stars and galaxies, and then... well that's what happened :. Astronomy then suddenly became my hobby, and almost immediately I replaced being a doctor with being an astronomer as what I wanted to do in my future. And so throughout the years my interest in it has only become even stronger: I take any chance of star-gazing when I could (and it is a difficult feat from the populated city I live in!) and books about space has always been my companion.
Today, I continue to walk closer to the dream I had drawn up: I am now a freshman in college studying physics (though as a side-note, I COULD have gone to study medicine if I want! ::)), and I still believe in that astronomy is what my life is about, from that insignificant yet important day.
And that is because I love astronomy. :)