Author Topic: Galaxy Zoo Lectures!  (Read 28563 times)

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
Galaxy Zoo Lectures!
« on: January 23, 2009, 04:41:15 pm »
As mentioned on the blog (and in different topics here), Alice and Rick are giving lectures today in Bristol, UK.

I'm giving another lecture tomorrow in Heerlen en next Friday in Heesch (NL).

Anyone else? ;D The more the better...

And looking forward to seeing podcasts from todays. 8)

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Zoo Lectures!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 05:38:08 pm »
Hey! Alice is in town! Amazingly the train was on time, so all is set to go. Why am I nervous?

Infinity

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:38:35 pm »
Great stuff, good luck to all and have fun :)

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:55:13 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Go get them guys ;D

waveney

• Irregular Galaxy Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »
I am giving one on the 20th of Feb in Coventry.

I have a small blog entry on it that should appear next week (i.e. after Alice's one today)
Join the Irregular Classifiers
We all help at the cutting edge of ignorance.

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 07:13:40 pm »
Great! ;D

weezerd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:47:01 pm »
Well I hope it's going/gone well.... Any feedback yet?
Oh let me just a moment stay
where time is not and angels play the paeans of the galaxies;
then speed the stardust on its flight
to change dread darkness into light, cold chaos into ecstasy!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:31 pm »
Cool topic, thanks! ;D It could have gone a lot worse thank you! ;D ;D ;D Thanks so much Rick for getting me along to Bristol. It's a cool place, and the Bristol Astronomical Society is fantastic. :)

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:13:32 pm »
Cool topic, thanks! ;D It could have gone a lot worse thank you! ;D ;D ;D Thanks so much Rick for getting me along to Bristol. It's a cool place, and the Bristol Astronomical Society is fantastic. :)

We want details!!

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:26 pm »
Details huh? Oh all right . . . :D ;D

Apparently it is "interesting" (i.e. unusual) for a speaker to help set the chairs out. :o (In the unlikely event that I become a world famous lecturer and a household name, I shall continue to help set the chairs out.)

Rick turned up carrying a lot of scary equipment - e.g. a massive silver suitcasey thing and a mike which required tying together with rainbow shoelacey things - shortly after I arrived.

Two of Weezerd's mates arrived to hear. ;D

There are a lot of weird codes to get into the building. But tea, coffee and biscuits are available. They seem to do a "club night" - with several speakers and lots of fun - every two weeks, and this was one of them.

I was the first speaker, thank goodness - I hate waiting! Unfortunately, I was just trying to open my slideshow when the laptop crashed. It moved the picture but not the text. >:( ::) And then it only showed the desktop background, which was a picture of a NASA plane over some clouds. I began my talk with "Welcome to a very interesting evening all about an aeroplane which says NASA on its tail". Eventually we had to use a different laptop. I re-began my talk by announcing that I was talking about the Internet, and my tendency to destroy technology just by coming near it made me the perfect person to do that. (Someone told me that Wolfgang Pauli had that tendency too.)

I was trying a slightly different order from the way I usually go - I began with the SDSS telescope, and I did the CW/ACW before I talked about the forum. I wanted the discoveries to lead into one another. I had a slide of hilarious galactic animals, at least I thought so but nobody laughed. :(

Nevertheless, I think they enjoyed it. ;D ;D ;D I mentioned quite a few of you, not all of you by name. I could have talked about the Zoo forever . . .

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 11:33:26 pm »
And Rick gave a cool talk about the Markarian peas, quite a bit of which I didn't know.

And good luck for tomorrow, Hanny.

ZookeeperGeorgia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 12:25:42 am »
There are ALWAYS technology problems!  I had to laugh (quietly to myself) at some workshops I've attended where the whole point was to show teachers how wonderful technology is and what you can do with it in your classroom...and then there is a 15 min. delay while someone runs off to find the correct cable/adaptor/plug...whatever.   :-\  But it sounds like you handled the technology glitches perfectly!! Any pictures? Did anyone record it?

Infinity

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 02:32:42 am »
Good to hear it went well :)

Pat

• Curiosity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 08:23:54 am »
Glad your talk went well Alice. :)

I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe  

Joseph K. H. Cheng

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 10:16:18 am »
Hey! Alice is in town! Amazingly the train was on time, so all is set to go. Why am I nervous?

Dear Rick,

There isn't anything to be nervous about. After all we Zooites have seen almost a quarter of the visible universe via the SDSS database. Everyone & everything has his or her or its proper place and time in the grand scheme of the universe. Good luck and just be yourself.

Regards,

JKHC.
" Only connect ! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its highest ." - by E.M. FORSTER from his novel -  "HOWARDS END ".