Author Topic: Galaxy Zoo Lectures!  (Read 31472 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Zoo Lectures!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 12:23:13 pm »
I decline to listen - I have a childish hatred of my voice - but glad you all liked it! ;D

Thanks very much for podcasting it, Rick. He's too modest to say so here, but judging by the weird equipment he brought in he's an expert on the technicalities of recording, and he went to a lot of trouble to produce it properly, i.e. do whatever these mysterious magicians do with the original recording to make it sound better.

I am going to be stingy and not upload all my slides. The reason for that is that I want to continue to be asked for as a lecturer, so I don't want to release the entire "product" (even though I change the PPT according to the audience anyway!). But I'll upload a few in due course.

As you'll have guessed, this was to an audience of astronomers. For Winchester I spent some time explaining what galaxies are, showing beautiful Milky Way pics, and talking about light years and how we look back into the past when we look at the skies. And also what stars are etc. With this one I dived straight in. And I failed to explain the obvious about a few things, such as what NGC 3314 is and how you classify, i.e. you press the button ::) . . . But I shall try to be graceful and not put you off too much. :D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 12:38:15 pm »
Oh, it occurs to me to ask. Which bits of the lecture would you particularly like to see?

I began it with some pictures of our beloved SDSS telescope, and the map of the sky that it's covered, as I described here. Then we gradually zoom into M51. Then it's a few shots of completely different looking galaxies, a comparison between spiral and elliptical, and some screenshots of classifying. I spent a weekend classifying 3000 galaxies to get those, and by Sunday night I still hadn't got any mergers! :o Pat came to the rescue with that, so her name every so often gets into the credits slide.

Then . . . well . . . galaxies, and some notes about them. Are there any favourite bits of the lecture, or unclear bits, where you'd really like to see a slide? :)

weezerd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 01:40:41 pm »
Oh, it occurs to me to ask. Which bits of the lecture would you particularly like to see?
<snip>
 Are there any favourite bits of the lecture, or unclear bits, where you'd really like to see a slide? :)

Well now, you caught me on the hop, and for me these days that's very risky! ;)
I can't pinpoint anything off-hand, but give me time to find another spare 40 mins and I'll re-run it and see if there's anything in particular. But I feel I was probably just imagining the overall impression...
Oh let me just a moment stay
where time is not and angels play the paeans of the galaxies;
then speed the stardust on its flight
to change dread darkness into light, cold chaos into ecstasy!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 03:51:47 pm »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

For the record . . .

. . . I somehow got the idea that Chris was in charge of Kevin's PhD, probably because they were working on the same problem, and because of a comment Chris made about "your PhD student will do xyz" in a lecture he gave once . . . anyway, apologies for that - Kevin was NOT Chris's student, but they just got together to work on the blue ellipticals business.

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 03:57:07 pm »
Podcast of Alice's talk to the BAS available here. It is a big file, so it will take 3-4mins to download. Enjoy!
Alice's Podcast 23rd January 2009
Bristol astronomical Society - www.bristolastrosoc.org.uk

Guys, I need some help...I downloaded it but now I can't find it! ???   Thank you :D

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

snowstargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 04:07:13 pm »

the map of the sky that it's covered, as I described here. Then we gradually zoom into M51.

That map of the covered sky is the one slide I really wanted to see, especially with the "Plow" or "Plough" or "Big Dipper" being such a readily recognizable constellation, which quickly orients you. I don't much care about things when I don't know where they are.

If I may ask, how did you zoom in to M51 ?

Overall a very interesting lecture. Although I classified over a period of time, I hadn't heard much discussion of what the information was being used for. Enjoyed having it summarized so nicely.

Thank you for sharing your talk, well done!

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 04:58:06 pm »
Podcast of Alice's talk to the BAS available here. It is a big file, so it will take 3-4mins to download. Enjoy!

Guys, I need some help...I downloaded it but now I can't find it! ???   Thank you :D

Aida

Look in your browser's preferences, you should find an option for defining a folder to put downloaded files. I call mine "Downloads" and everything simply ends up in there.
  Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 05:29:23 pm »

Aida

Look in your browser's preferences, you should find an option for defining a folder to put downloaded files. I call mine "Downloads" and everything simply ends up in there.

Thank you Geoff, I found it and listened to it!  It was a wonderful lecture and Alice sounds like Princess Diana...I don't know why she wouldn't want to hear herself talking... ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 05:42:34 pm »
Check the blog...

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 05:44:11 pm »
Nice one Kevin !
Spread the word !  :D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 11:04:34 pm »
For those of you who want to see slides, I've put up a selection of them here.

snowstargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 11:26:56 pm »
Thanks, I enjoyed going back over some of the highlights with the illustrating slides.

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 12:32:12 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Wonderful job Alice and Rick wonderful. ;D ;D

Pat

• Curiosity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 10:01:01 am »
Well done Alice, :) I like how you have designed the slides. :)

I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe  

ZookeeperGeorgia

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 01:17:14 pm »
Thank you Geoff, I found it and listened to it!  It was a wonderful lecture and Alice sounds like Princess Diana...I don't know why she wouldn't want to hear herself talking... ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You're right--she does sound like Diana!  :D