« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »
Bingo!  I won't ask how you found that equation.   :D

Edd

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: LaTex
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 01:05:11 am »
Split the science and sent it to the Star Space
When I look up at the night sky and think about the billions of stars out there, I think to myself: I'm amazing. - Peter Serafinowicz

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 01:06:47 am »
Ta Edd ;D

pluk

• serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 10:54:22 pm »

I see there's a problem fixing the bg colour...

... ideally we'd change the background of a table in these posts to white and keep the black typeface, but I can't seem to get that to happen!

How about this:

||

Accomplished as follows:

[size=37px][glow=white,299][size=37px]|[img width=185 height=37]http://mathurl.com/?img=p6eqjm[/img]|[/size][/glow][/size]

The bbcode, with two [size] spans - one around- and one within the [glow] span - is cumbersome and ugly, but this seems to be the only way to get both Firefox and IE to produce comparable, moderately decent results.

The [size]'s have been chosen to match the height of the image in pixels: 37px.

The two '|' characters around the [img] span are simply there to provide an extra bit of background around the image, leave them off or change them to something narrower or wider as you see fit.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:11:03 pm by pluk »
We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run. - Roy Amara, engineer, futurist (b. 1925)

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 11:06:07 pm »
Well done!!

Now what are the chances that Arfon et. al. can make that entire process into an automated single mouse click for we lazy posters?

pluk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 11:18:47 pm »
Now what are the chances that Arfon et. al. can make that entire process into an automated single mouse click for we lazy posters?

If you've got Greasemonkey, I'm sure that something could be cooked-up ::)

Greasemonkey is a Firefox plug-in that can do just about whatever you want it to do to just about any webpage anywhere.

For example it could be taught to change the background whenever it recognises one of those mathurl images in zooforum context... but that would only help you yourself, everyone else would still mainly see a collection of anti-aliasing noise.

But on the posting end, I suspect that something that will automatically include that horrid tag-ensemble, should be possible as well.

If anyone's interested I could have a go at cooking up a script or two...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:12:36 pm by pluk »
We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run. - Roy Amara, engineer, futurist (b. 1925)

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 11:28:48 pm »
By all means--go for it!  The current inability of this forum to handle anything beyond the most elementary mathematics is a terrible limitation.

pluk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 11:35:48 pm »
By all means--go for it!  The current inability of this forum to handle anything beyond the most elementary mathematics is a terrible limitation.

Allright ;D  I'll see what I can do; might have some time during the weekend... but don't hold your breath...

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 01:26:42 am »
Ooooohh! Great tip! Straight into some of my course material, where I've previously had to use TeX, display the output, and make a screensnap.

pluk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 06:15:47 pm »
Well, I guess the color issue has gone moot; mathurl supports colors natively, and that includes setting a backgroundcolor:

To see how this was done, see: http://mathurl.com/l252pm and click "edit this equation".

The important bit is this:

\usepackage{color}
\pagecolor[rgb]{0.199,0.199,0.199} % that's the lighter of the two shades of background used here in the forum
\color{white}
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 06:23:38 pm by pluk »

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 08:09:15 pm »
Greetings pluk,

That certainly works.  But it would still be very helpful for it to be incorporated directly into some active element right here so that all we would have to do would be to create the equation of interest without having to worry about formatting.

Thanks for the good work!

Best regards,
EigenState

pluk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 08:33:17 pm »
That certainly works.  But it would still be very helpful for it to be incorporated directly into some active element right here so that all we would have to do would be to create the equation of interest without having to worry about formatting.

hey, don't rush me  8)

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 08:48:42 pm »
Hi pluk,

I wasn't rushing you--I was pressuring management.  ;)

Best regards,
EigenState

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 05:22:00 pm »
One possible approach that has not been considered: 

The addition of a modified "insert table" function in which the table background is white rather than this terrible black background.  Embed the image tags within the new function--that could also be done manually--and rename it "insert equation".  Paste the mathurl link location between the tags and that is it.

But all of this is really nothing more than a work-around.  The forum software platform does support direct incorporation of LaTex capabilities and that is the approach that should be taken by whomever now is responsible for the forum platform.

pluk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2009, 01:02:34 am »
One possible approach that has not been considered:  

The addition of a modified "insert table" function in which the table background is white rather than this terrible black background.  Embed the image tags within the new function--that could also be done manually--and rename it "insert equation".  Paste the mathurl link location between the tags and that is it.

I thought that that's what Edd suggested too...

... ideally we'd change the background of a table in these posts to white and keep the black typeface, but I can't seem to get that to happen!

--

Anyway, here's yet another interesting alternative: http://www.gold-saucer.org/mathml/greasemonkey/
I've tested it (aplogies for all the test-postst to those who noticed and wondered what all the gibberish was about ;D) and it works!

That is, for a pretty limited definition of "works": Works, if you've got: a) Firefox, b) with Greasemonkey add-on enabled,  c) fitted with this LaTeX-to-MathML translator user script, and d) configured to do it's work within galaxyzooforum.org context.  Everyone else will probably see something not entirely unlike line-noise:

$1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} \left( \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\frac{1}{2\sigma^2} (x-\mu)^2} \, dx \right)$

$\frac{1}{1-x} = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + \dotsb = \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n$

$x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}$

$df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^1} \, dx^1 + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^2} \, dx^2 + \dotsb + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^n} \, dx^n$

$\sin \pi z = \pi z \prod_{n=1}^\infty \left( 1 - \frac{z^2}{n^2} \right)$

$\lVert y \rVert = \left( y_1^2 + y_2^2 + \dotsb + y_k^2 \right)^{1/2}$
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:55:52 am by pluk »