Author Topic: Who is keeping an eye on Wikipedia?  (Read 28892 times)

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
Re: Who is keeping an eye on Wikipedia?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 12:13:10 pm »
Guys, this is all it says about Hanny's Voorwerp.
It says that Hanny's Voorwerp is a mix (that's English, mix in Spanish is mezcla) of English and neerlandes, which I don't think is used.  I use holandés for the dutch language.
Hanny, the translation of voorwerp in English is object, right?  Here it was translated as body, so it says it is Hanny's body.
It also says that Hanny's Voorwerp is the name of various objects of gaseous content discovered at the start of 2008.  OMG!
They also translated quasar as cuásar and it's admitted but it is usually written quásar.
Generally it is a disaster, it says that Hanny using a simple telescope discovered the Voorwerp.
Zeus, we better translate the whole thing from zero.  I am so sorry it didn't occur to me to see the Spanish version before.
Guys, I will need some help for that.  I don't know how to embed links yet. And maybe a Skype conference would be best to fix it as soon as possible.

Objeto Hanny
(Redirigido desde Hanny's Voorwerp)
Objeto Hanny o Hanny's Voorwerp (el segundo nombre, dado internacionalmente es un mix de idioma inglés e idioma neerlandés: en el primero de ambos Hanny's = "de Hanny", mientras que en neerlandés voorwerp se traduce como "cuerpo"; en conjunto: "cuerpo de Hanny") es el nombre dado a ciertos objetos astronómicos de aspecto gaseoso descubiertos a inicios del año 2008.
Reseña histórica y características [editar]

Entre fines de 2007 y la primera mitad del año 2008 la astrónoma aficionada neerlandesa Hanny Van Arkel colaborando en el proyecto internacional GalaxyZoo ("Zoológico Galáctico") y utilizando relativamente sencillos telescopios ópticos, observó un objeto que a primera vista parecía ser una nebulosa galáctica aunque, al contrario de las mismas, con un hueco central. Inicialmente fue catalogado como un "objeto fantasma" al no estar dentro de la clasificación ni espectativas de la astronomía.
A mayor resolución en el avistamiento presenta el aspecto de una nube gaseosa poco luminiscente con un área enrarecida o más obscura hacia su centro; se considera que la energía de los objetos Hanny procedería de quásares apagados o que han dejado de ser visibles aunque remanentes de su luz continúan viajando por el espacio (y el tiempo) como una especie de eco de fotones, otra hipótesis probable supone que se trata de la luz y la radiación de un cuásar extinto reflejados por una muy pequeña galaxia.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:15:12 pm by Lovethetropics »

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 02:44:53 pm »
Perhaps the way we should do this is for you all to collaboratively (heh) edit the English pages, and then each of you who speak a particular language (like Half65 and Lovethetropics) can ensure that the translation of the English page is up to date and accurate.

Does that sounds reasonable? Should we have some sort of semi-official `guardians of wiki' team, or would you rather just organise completely organically?

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 03:16:29 pm »
I made a wiki account and it's possible to follow the entry in a special list so it's possible to know about changes made.
I made this with voorwerp. There isn't a GalaxyZoo entry in Italian but I'm working on it.
I can made an eye on wiki.
If there is other entry that it's related to the zoo could be useful to highlight in this thread.

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 03:32:24 pm »
I keep an eye on the pages but don't have an account. I am happy to get involved if necessary - though only in English! The current entries for Galaxy Zoo and HV seem good starting points for translation.

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 03:35:14 pm »
You can made correction even if you're not registered.  ;)

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 03:37:31 pm »
You can made correction even if you're not registered.  ;)
True - but this put me off!
"Editing this way will cause your IP address to be recorded publicly in this page's edit history. If you create an account, you can conceal your IP address."

So if I need to edit I think I'll join up. :)

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 03:38:28 pm »
In the wikipedia entry is written that the original project "... is a collaboration between Oxford University, Portsmouth University, Johns Hopkins University, Yale University and Fingerprint Digital Media, Belfast" (citation from wikipedia).
It's that correct or something is missed ?

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 03:50:28 pm »
Good point half. The list on GZ2 pages includes University of Nottingham too. Best ask Kevin.

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 03:53:38 pm »
And Alabama also.

Lovethetropics

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 03:56:22 pm »
Perhaps the way we should do this is for you all to collaboratively (heh) edit the English pages, and then each of you who speak a particular language (like Half65 and Lovethetropics) can ensure that the translation of the English page is up to date and accurate.

Does that sounds reasonable? Should we have some sort of semi-official `guardians of wiki' team, or would you rather just organise completely organically?

I agree Kevin that we should keep an eye on Wiki and also agree to be part of the semi-official guardians team.  
 I was appalled when I read that they translated Voorwerp as body.  It never occured to me that they would do such a poor job in Spanish.

So, do we get together on Skype to fix the entries or we do it from here or via email?  I vote for Skype because it would be faster, but all of us should agree of course.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:04:09 pm by Lovethetropics »

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 04:03:38 pm »
All sounds good to me (except the Spanish translation indeed, LOL! :D) ;)

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 04:05:15 pm »
For me is good.
I'm reading the galaxyzoo entry and I have some doubt.

Lovethetropics

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 04:10:09 pm »
All sounds good to me (except the Spanish translation indeed, LOL! :D) ;)

I'm so sorry Hanny that you had to find out like this.   I would like to straighten that post today if possible because I know many students rely on Wiki for information and it's not accurate at all.
Everyone will laugh if someone starts talking about Hanny's body.  And don't start me on how they mangled everything.  And they say there are a few Voorwerpen and I'm sure if there were more than one I would know. ::) ::)

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 04:13:58 pm »
Oh that's OK Aida! ;)

I am upset though that now I have registered again, I remember why I gave up the first time. If I say I want to edit this page, then why the **** does it only let me edit the external links, and that also in those stupid codes? :-\ What am I doing wrong? :'( ::)

Rant over. ;)

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 04:16:58 pm »
I'm edited the voorwerp entry now and everything appear to be OK.
Have you the cookie on ?