Author Topic: Using GZ Education Subjects in a TEFL Classroom  (Read 1940 times)

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
Using GZ Education Subjects in a TEFL Classroom
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:47:52 pm »
Any ideas about how to bring GZ educational ideas into a classroom where the learners there have differing levels of
English, as it is a foreign language to them?  All are above 18 and many of my particular classes have employment in
Aviation. Below is an example I have used, but is not GZ-orientated.

I have used a 'Webquest' involving this:
"Saving the International Space Station" by Brenda Patterson.
http://zunal.com/webquest.php?user=22680
You need to click on 'Process' to see the list of websites the lesson is based around.

After suitably adapting it, some Air Traffic Controllers from across Africa where given this as a presentation task.
Two goups of around 4 or 5, Scientists or Astronauts, were given the task of preparing to argue the case for
why government should spend taxpayers' money on Space and more exactly on the ISS. The links given on the
Webquest page are quite child-orientated, which meant that the level of English was about right for these ATCs,
given that English is their third or fourth language.

They had a week to get their task together, and while 1 or 2 dropped out, we did eventually get half-an-hour to
debate this- I was the politician with the money! No increase or decrease in funding was the outcome I decided
upon (even though the ISS could do with a lot more funding): There is a recession! Surprisingly, the learners
showed real interest in this and the presentation made them think about issues they would not normally be exposed to,
as well as getting them speak aloud about science issues. Some had never heard of the ISS, so this was at least one
thing they learnt.

This of course has nothing to do with Galaxy Zoo, which is why I'm looking for ideas...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:00:44 pm by Rick Nowell »