Author Topic: Science Fiction Chat  (Read 4401 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Science Fiction Chat
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:26:22 pm »

"Science fiction," wrote Marcus Chown, "has a peculiar habit of coming true." Do you agree? Have you got any science books you'd like to review? Or do you see any reviews you agree or disagree with?

I know that a lot of Zooites enjoy science fiction; tell us about your favourites. My current favourite is "The Left hand of Darkness" by Ursula LeGuin. I haven't put a review of it up in this library yet but I wrote about it on my blog a while ago. It's wonderful how there is true humanness and true alienness at the same time.

padawangussin

• What Was..What is...What might be...
    • View Profile
Re: Science Fiction Chat
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:33:16 pm »

"Science fiction," wrote Marcus Chown, "has a peculiar habit of coming true." Do you agree? Have you got any science books you'd like to review? Or do you see any reviews you agree or disagree with?

I know that a lot of Zooites enjoy science fiction; tell us about your favourites. My current favourite is "The Left hand of Darkness" by Ursula LeGuin. I haven't put a review of it up in this library yet but I wrote about it on my blog a while ago. It's wonderful how there is true humanness and true alienness at the same time.

Dr. who has always been a big draw for me. I tend to like alot of Sci Fi stuff, and am starting to like vampire stuff.

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 02:14:31 am »

;D "The Left hand of Darkness" by Ursula LeGuin. Oh my I read that one a long time ago I wonder if I still have. Alice what is the copyright date on that?........................ Oh alas no I must of loan it out. I do have "The wind's Twelve Quarters" by Ursula K. LeGuin. It is a book of Short Stories Copyright 1975 ( :-\ not a first edition though) she writes a good tale. I will have to reread it.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:12:17 pm »
Is copyright date when it was first published? It was first published in 1969 . . .

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 05:04:51 am »
Is copyright date when it was first published? It was first published in 1969 . . .
;D ;D Yes that is correct. I do not think I read it before 1980 though. It is a classic IMHO. She wrote other stories as well........I have to check into that. I am so pleased to see that her book is still being read and enjoyed. 1969 did you say! That would make the story she wrote 40 years old!! Oh my time flies. :)

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
  • Cheers to those beauties out there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 08:02:18 am »
A great tale never grows old, neither time nor nature will yellow their pages and deem it obsolote, for within the long-ago words a heart still beats, and its warmth still heats up the imagination in today's stresful way of living.
"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step"
Lao Tzu, Ancient Chinese Philosopher.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 05:57:04 pm »
Too right, I don't think the Left Hand of Darkness will ever go out of date - when I read it I was amazed it was so old, because so much of it might as well have been written yesterday! ;D The characters also are absolutely wonderful, they walk out of the page. One of my favourite lines is "I had my eyes on the stars, and didn't watch the mud I walked in".

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:03:30 am »
That is indeed a great line, Alice.  A book is a companion for life, when all has gone, their words would be the reminder of our existence and their breath shall bring us all back to life again.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:55:08 pm »
I agree, there are some books I just really miss if I can't find them. I have a few favourites which I read every few months or years, even if I've already read them 20 or 30 times. As you say, they're friends.

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 10:52:04 pm »
Hello everyone!  Hanny posted something very interesting here:   http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=276699.0
Please take a look.

I love the Star Trek and Star Wars books and movies (well, most of them) ;D

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

padawangussin

• What Was..What is...What might be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 11:07:21 pm »
Hello everyone!  Hanny posted something very interesting here:   http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=276699.0
Please take a look.

I love the Star Trek and Star Wars books and movies (well, most of them) ;D

Thanks for the Link

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 04:06:55 am »
Roger, Aida.  Info acknowledged.  Molto grazie.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:54:03 pm »
I must admit I did admire the cool ideas in "Ender's Game" and "Speaker for the Dead", but I seriously hated all the subsequent ones :(

I loved picturing the zero gravity battleroom. And I liked the thought of just changing something in the laws of chemistry or biology to allow things to take place - having a field where electrons can't be shared, to create a weapon, and having DNA which binds with totally foreign DNA, is just the kind of thing that a serious scientist would never think of, but actually has very imaginative results! :D

LynnSeguin

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 08:28:56 pm »
I am a long time fan of sci-fi.  I've read most of Frank Herbert's work, Arthur Clarke (all of the Rama series); Isaac Asimov Robot and Foundation series.  Many other classic sci-fi authors Frederik Pohl, Larry Niven to name a few.  I enjoy Orson Scott Card; Dan Simmons Hyperion series was fantastic.  I also enjoy historical fiction Colleen McCoullogh's First Man in Rome series was stand out fantastic.  I'm not a big fan of fantasy although I do have a second edition LOTR with the dust covers and maps!  LOL.  I also have a first edition paperback of Ringworld (with the errors).  Hah!  I'm a big fan of sci-fi movies as well.