Author Topic: The Fiction Shelf  (Read 3579 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Fiction Shelf
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:43:35 pm »

What are your favourite novels? What sort do you like? What would you like to put in the Galaxy Zoo Library, perhaps the Reviews?

If you like sci-fi best, please wander along to the sci-fi section, a few shelves along ;D

I must admit I've a weakness for the Harry Potter books, though I think JK Rowling got a bit too much into the habit of "telling not showing" and trying to teach people how to think and live a bit too blatantly. Such a great complex plot, though. And wonderful little what-it's-like-to-be-a-teenager bits mixed in with the magic spells! I refused to see the films after the first one; I didn't want the books spoiled. My favourite characters were Hermione and the twins ;D

When I was younger I really enjoyed Gillian Cross. ;D

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
  • Cheers to those beauties out there!
    • View Profile
Re: The Fiction Shelf
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:35:57 am »
God, I'm itchy to say something about my next set of books.  I've read the first one and am on the second.  Question though: Is this the place to leave the name of the books and author, or is a review required also? Well actually the real issue here is: Is this the place to leave my suggestions?
"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step"
Lao Tzu, Ancient Chinese Philosopher.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 03:02:09 pm »
Do let us know the title of the book you're reading and the author, but this is more informal than the book reviews! You're more than welcome to submit a review, or to just say what you feel like about the book here. Sorry I've been neglecting this place a little. Does anyone else find that fantasy books such as Harry Potter are the ideal thing to eat in the dead of night with Christmas pudding? ;D

(Having thoroughly lowered the tone, rushes to escape :D)

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 03:53:25 am »
Sorry, dear Alice.  I'm not really into Harry Potter, I've seen a movie or two, but was never too interested.  I'll gather my thoughts and see what I can built with them.  Until then, farewell my friend.  Ciao.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:01:09 am »
Don't worry, that was a throwaway comment; you are not required to be interested in Harry Potter ;D (Not that the movies are a thousandth the work of the books though I thought.) I'd love to hear more about the fiction you're reading. I seem to be ploughing my way through George R R Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" again at the moment. Wasn't his latest book supposed to come out nearly a year ago?

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 04:09:37 am »
No idea, he sounds totally new to me.  I'm afraid there's not much I know about books in Europe, I only read the ones I borrow from my manager, we go back awhile and we pretty much share books.  One thing is for sure, once he gave me a 400+ paged-book and it was so good that I finished it in two days.  I think I broke some records there, then the next one, same thing! I know I broke at least of my personal records: Most pages read in an hour and the fastest to finish.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 04:11:46 am »
Wow, that must have been an amazing book! What was it? ;D And the even nicer thing about reading fast is that then you have a great excuse to read it again, savouring every detail.

George R R Martin is American and I believe has been writing since the late 60's, but mostly short stories in his early years, and turned to mega-long fantasy more recently. Ask Fluffy about him, she'll enthuse :D ;D

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 04:19:34 am »
It dealt with a lady in jury duty...I think it's called Jury or The Jury...I have it written down somewhere, I'll find it.  There was a bus that blew up, many people died, including a police officer (if my memory serves me well) and there was a guy who liked the lady in jury duty and they got together....well...I'll promise to find the book and write a review.  My time's almost up and I gotta hurry up, have a thing or two to finish.

padawangussin

• What Was..What is...What might be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:35:36 pm »
Right now I am reading the "Fate of the Jedi" novels as well as the "world War" saga by Harry Turtledove

Dan

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 02:44:16 pm »
George R R Martin is American and I believe has been writing since the late 60's, but mostly short stories in his early years, and turned to mega-long fantasy more recently. Ask Fluffy about him, she'll enthuse :D ;D
that i can indeedy! george is great, and even better is HBO are filming the pilot episode for the series right now. I just hope he will have finished writing the series before the filming gets that far! His latest installment is overdue, but i would prefer to read something overdue that he is happy with than something rushed.

I have just finished reading pride and prejudice and zombies, twas most amusing! i think i even prefer it to the original :D can also recomend Peter F Hamilton (sci fi), Brian Lumley,Steven Erikson, Scott Lynch and Robin Hobb, tho i'm not much a fan of her latest offering, the farseer stuff is great.

LynnSeguin

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 08:34:44 pm »
Since Christmas is just around the corner; may I recommend one of my favorite authors of historical fiction, Colleen McCullough.  Anyone who has read the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (abridged version) by Edward Gibbon and found it a bit dry and windy; will find her Masters of Rome series vibrant and colorful.   Her writing is a wonderful blend of scholarship, intuition and imagination.  She re-creates the period of Roman history beginning with Gaius Marius in 110 BC and concluding with the death of Mark Antony and Cleopatra and the ascension of Octavian Caesar in 30 BC in seven novels.  She brings Roman society, politics. historical figures and events to life in a way that I found completely surprising on first read.   It's a very thorough treatment, completely believable and utterly enjoyable.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:59:39 pm by LynnSeguin »