Author Topic: Children's Book Corner  (Read 3970 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Children's Book Corner
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:07:05 pm »

Yes - I confess. I love children's books. And it was a series of children's books, the Uncle Albert series, which taught me the basic ideas of general and special relativity and quantum mechanics when I was only 9 or 10. I'll be reviewing them soon, unless anyone else would like to?

Some children's books are really one story for the child and another for the adult - John Rowe Townsend is a great example. And some are just a lovely break. Of course, it works both ways - I loved reading Marion Zimmer Bradley when I was little.

Anyone have any favourites? ;D

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
Re: Children's Book Corner
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:02:11 pm »
"Delarah" by Demetra Vaka.  It was my favorite book for years when I was a little girl.  As a matter of fact I've been looking for a copy for 40 years.  When I was born, in 56 she had been dead for 10 years.  It is an old children's book.  But it is lovely...it's about the friendship between a Greek girl and a Turkish girl and how things were in Turkey and Greece when that was happening.

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
  • Cheers to those beauties out there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 03:24:28 am »
I didn't really read when I was a kid, I was more towards art books.  At that time I was always bugging my sis to buy me books with pictures to paint, that was my favourite hobby: painting.  I remember one, not the name but, there was a pic of a ship, it's something that after all this time keeps on popping up.  I also remember one of animals and some classic tales (all of them painting books, I guess that's the best description I can give).  I'd stay up late with my colour pencils and my books.  Those are memories of the good old times, good old times.
"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step"
Lao Tzu, Ancient Chinese Philosopher.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 03:08:46 pm »
I loved Roald Dahl when I was little, it wasn't until I was older that I saw all the political remarks in them! ;D One of my favourite books was "Top of the World" by John Rowe Townsend - about a 10-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy who live in a small basement flat with a huge company building above them. Their mother is a cleaner and their slightly-disabled dad the caretaker. The family knows they're very lucky to live there and daren't cause any trouble. On a day when both parents have to be out, during the summer holiday, the kids have to stay at home - but Donald, the 7-year-old, nicks the key to the lovely garden on the roof. Unfortunately a) someone has left the ladder down to the next roof up, b) the President of the company is visiting, and c) the only worker available to help is Mr Hurst who is hated and feared by the children. Kathy, the 10-year-old, has to try and rescue him. They both nearly end up falling to their deaths. It was a thrilling story when I was little. When I re-read it as an adult I nearly died of a heart attack!

I love John Rowe Townsend's writing, there is both story and the immense caring of a family man: whenever I read his children's books now I sense that he looks on his child characters with the love and concern of a devoted parent. More than that, though: I wanted to keep "Top of the World" when I was little - I'd got it from the library - but discovered it was out of print. I drew a picture of the children in the garden and the surrounding view for him, and wrote to him asking if he had any spares. He wrote a lovely letter back saying he didn't, but he got an American copy specially for me! He wrote, "I don't really like the American illustrations myself and feel I'd have liked them better if you'd done them!" I remember going through the book with a pencil correcting all the edits back into the original version. Probably about 15 years later, I did manage to get an English copy again (which had nicer pictures) through Amazon.

echo-lily-mai

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 03:54:28 pm »
Lovely story Alice of how you wrote to him, and so sweet that he wrote back.  :)

Art does not reproduce the visible....  Paul Klee

echo-lily-mai

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:01:11 pm »
My little ones really love this story. “Eliza and the Moonchild” by Emma Chichester Clark.

It’s a sweet little story of how a Moonchild visits earth, makes friends with a little girl and is amazed by all the beautiful colours.

It’s a favourite alongside classic stories like “The Giant Jam Sandwich” by John Vernon Lord and Janet Burroway and “We’re going on a Bear Hunt” by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury.

They are all great books to read with young children.  :) ;D

Art does not reproduce the visible....  Paul Klee

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
  • Cheers to those beauties out there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 04:05:06 am »
I just remember one of the very first books I read, well actually the first one: The Old Man and The Sea, forgot who it's by.  It talks about the sea, an old man, a boat, a youngster, people who thought the old man was a fool, the old man's determination and strong will, the young guy's compasionate soul, and the beauty of life by the sea.  That book taught me to love the sea, especially a night out under the stars.  The first time I read it took me a month (I wasn't that much into book when I was younger), the second time took me a day (after much practice for I've read probably over 70 books in the last five years).

I also remember reading a book about a tree who pretty much gave everything it had to a boy.  As the boy grew up, he kept coming back to the tree and the tree kept of giving the boy something to make him happy: First apples, then branches, then the trunk, some more and finally when both were old, the boy, now an old man came back for the last time and since the tree was nothing but a chunk of a trunk, the once-young character just sat there in the company of his old friend.
"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step"
Lao Tzu, Ancient Chinese Philosopher.

alborjoven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 05:09:59 pm »
I love science fiction movies. anyone here knows a good movie of fiction that i can watch. thanks