Author Topic: Questions & Suggestions about the Library  (Read 2726 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Questions & Suggestions about the Library
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:50:42 pm »
Welcome to the Library . . . ;D

This has only just started at time of writing, so I don't know yet what you will all need, and what works and doesn't. Please put your questions and suggestions here!

GNB 080

• View Profile
Re: Questions & Suggestions about the Library
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 03:29:43 pm »
I think many readers would find a primer on how to decipher scientific references helpful.

For example, the main GZ paper is, according to the GZ Published Papers webpage:

Lintott C.J., et al., 2008, "Galaxy Zoo: Morphologies derived from visual inspection of galaxies from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey", MNRAS, 389, 1179. (available here: astro-ph/UKADS)

And in a later GZ paper, this might appear as "Lintott et al. (2008)" in the text, and as "Lintott, C. J., et al. 2008, MNRAS, 389, 1179" in the References section.

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
  • Cheers to those beauties out there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 04:02:12 am »
I'm brand new in this board, many threads are locked.  There's a lot of reading to do, so before I say anything I should educate myself on the subjects otherwise I'd sound like an out-of-place curiosity.
"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step"
Lao Tzu, Ancient Chinese Philosopher.

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:00:12 am »
Greetings,

I think many readers would find a primer on how to decipher scientific references helpful.

Different journals use different citation standards, and thus there is no single answer to decipher any specific reference.  Some generalities can be stated however and should prove useful.  

All journal citations include a list of the authors, which in some cases is truncated beyond the first author using et. al. which is the abbreviation for et alia, Latin for and others.  The institutional affiliation of each author is also given by means of footnotes, and in many cases the principal author, or the author to whom correspondence should be addressed will be designated by some additional superscript label, for example ยง.  The title of the paper is also given.  Both of these items of information should be intuitively obvious to any reader.

EDIT:  Titles of papers cited are very often not given. 

In addition, all citations provide the journal name--often in some abbreviated form that may be far from obvious to readers outside of the field.  The numerical entries specify:  the volume (and sometimes the sub-volume number) of the journal typically in bold font; the first page number of the article as it appears in print; and the year in which the article was published in the printed journal.  Exactly how these pieces of information are presented depends strongly on the standards adopted by the given journal.  Sometimes one will also encounter a citation containing in press which indicates that an accepted paper has yet to appear in print.

If I may also be so bold, I would like to offer a suggestion as to how the publications emanating from the Galaxy Zoo project and its related collaborations are presented here in the Library.  I would suggest that some means be put in place to rigorously distinguish papers from manuscripts.  Here I use the functional definitions that a paper has successfully progressed through the peer review and editorial review processes such that it has been formally accepted for publication.  By comparison, a manuscript has only been submitted for consideration for publication and remains in some phase of the peer review and editorial review processes.  As unpleasant as it might be to contemplate, particularly for the authors themselves, a manuscript may never see the light of day.

Thus, a paper constitutes a real contribution to the original scientific literature while a manuscript as yet does not.

Best regards,
EigenState

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 05:57:07 pm »
In addition, all citations provide the journal name--often in some abbreviated form that may be far from obvious to readers outside of the field.
As regards journal names - the major journals, of which there are rather few in astronomy and astrophysics, decided some years ago on a common set of abbreviations for journal names, to save typing and a lot of setting of italcis, boldface, and so on. These are:

MNRAS - Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (UK)

A&A - Astronomy and Astrophysics (Europe)

ApJ - Astrophysical Journal (USA)
ApJS - Astrophysical Journal Supplement (USA) - for major data collections of greater reference value
AJ - Astronomical Journal (USA)
PASP - Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (USA)

Less frequently, one will encounter
PASJ - Publications of the Astronomical Society of Japan
Astrophysics (Russia)
Astronomy Reports (Russia)
Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy (India)
Astronomische Nachrichten (Germany)
Chinese Astronomy and Astrophysics (superseded Acta Astronomica Sinica (China)

Spanning the whole range of science, and thought by some to be especially prestigious, are
Nature (UK)
Science (USA)

Countries represent site of publication - there is a great deal of cross-submission, particularly to the major English-language journals for visibility.

(Edited to add journal links)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:50:39 pm by NGC3314 »

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:09:05 pm »
Greetings,

Another suggestion for consideration--launch what would in effect be a Reference Help Desk.

It would be a thread where a member who is interested in learning about some phenomenon can come to ask for suggested reading materials on that specific topic.

Best regards,
EigenState

laihro

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 07:28:32 am »
Hi everyone,

The paper lists at Wikipedia and the Master Index of Publications urgently need to be updated. The papers are the one and only publicly perceived benchmark for the effectiveness of citizen science.

This is one of those "why don't you do it yourself" suggestions but I fear I have no overview over the publications of the past two years. To make a start I'll add the voorverpje roundup paper.
IMHO. And I don't have a clue ...