Author Topic: "Odd features" suggestion  (Read 6050 times)

Merkosh

• View Profile
"Odd features" suggestion
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:20:12 am »
Hi there,

while classifying, I sometimes stumble into a problem with the "Odd features" part of the questionaire ...

While the other questions are definitely of the "this or that or that" type, where a galaxy falls definitely into a group, I think the "oddities" might be additive.

A certain object might (i.e.)

- be a merger,
- show lens effects,
- express signs of a ring and
- show signs of s dust lane and
- show some strange things recommending the "other" choice

in combination. Currently I have to decide for one of them, while multiple features beg for attention.

Therefore that part IMHO should be a list of check boxes or on/off switches combined with a "finish" button.

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
Re: "Odd features" suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:44:03 am »
Hi Merkosh

Sounds reasonable imho

But I'm afraid that won't be changed this time around..

Thanks though, and did I say welcome to the Zoo? :)

Merkosh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:10:53 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome ...   :D

Even if it doesn't make it into the current Zoo - which I could understand from a scientific point of view - I would at least suggest to put it into Zoo3.
Anyhow I can think of ways to merge it into the current database ... but that's a decision of the project team.

But there's another idea:
Maybe the oddities section should be extended with an extra check box "needs expert review" along with some short comment. That might be used to draw attention of an experienced expert to the object (or maybe something in the optical neighborhood). I know, that's part of the forum, but I would suggest to involve some kind of automated posting to a special forum, where such objects can be reviewed in depth, and further can be sorted out.

Merkosh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:55:42 pm »
Since I've stumbled upon such a candidate, I would like to spice up my suggestion with a sample:

SDSS 587736542019518549

That one shows (IMHO) definitely more than one of the "oddities" options:

- it could be a merger (very late state),
- it looks disturbed
- I see signs of a ring structure
(... maybe others see even more things ....)

By now, I have to choose the most interesting option, thereby neglecting the others.

chadwick2424

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 06:04:32 pm »
I agree, there are many galaxies that have more than one oddity about them. They should change it so the oddities are listed using a check box.

In addition they should change the merger catagory to include the number of galaxies found in the merger. I have found two cases where there appears to be 3 or more galaxies merging together.

SDSS 8647474691957522568
This one is either 2 large galaxies and one or two small galaxies, or it's two merging galaxies close and two merging galaxies close farther away in the background.

SDSS 587736542565761233
this one looks like 3 elliptical galaxies, two red stars and a possible fourth small galaxy to the right.

Victor.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:03:04 pm »

I´m most sure that this galaxie shows a jet, this feature sould be included in the odd chart for further classification.

this one im not so sure couse it might be a line from the star next to it but it might also be a big jet

lpreinl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:47 pm »
While I agree that it would be good being able to select multiple oddities, I can see why it would take some time to do this.
1) I assume the database collecting this is currently set up to handle just one choice (i.e. a single field holding a ref to the choice), this would need to be changed (probably best to create a seperate table for the choices)
2) The website code will need to be changed to allow this change.
3) The above two then need to be tested before the change can be released to the public.
4) The question what do we do with the galaxies that have been classified already needs to be addressed. It's easy enough to mark the answers already given into a new db table, but what about the possible missing bits? If a galaxy has more than one oddity and half way through the run multiples are allowed the "secondary" oddities would be weighted too little making them look like they are more questionable... It's something that needs to be thought about carefully.

That's enough geek-speak from me for now.

Just to let GZ tech boys and girls know- they are doing a brill job and it's come soooo far since GZ 1 (which I loved also).

Linda
Everything in moderation, especially moderation. - Oscar Wilde

Merkosh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:04:28 am »
While I agree that it would be good being able to select multiple oddities, I can see why it would take some time to do this.

I agree that this is not a cosmetic measure "on the fly". Definitely. But it would be a worthy improvement anyhow.

BTW: You've mentioned a "Im unsure about that" tick box for every answer in another thread of mine. I strongly support that idea.

1) I assume the database collecting this is currently set up to handle just one choice (i.e. a single field holding a ref to the choice), this would need to be changed (probably best to create a seperate table for the choices)

That depends on database design. Could be changed with at most 1 hr of SQL mangling (less for SQL experts) and some hrs of hard disc scrubbing.

2) The website code will need to be changed to allow this change.

Definitely  ;D

3) The above two then need to be tested before the change can be released to the public.

Surely agreed, too. But that's the way of web site evolution.  ;D

4) The question what do we do with the galaxies that have been classified already needs to be addressed. It's easy enough to mark the answers already given into a new db table, but what about the possible missing bits? If a galaxy has more than one oddity and half way through the run multiples are allowed the "secondary" oddities would be weighted too little making them look like they are more questionable... It's something that needs to be thought about carefully.

This is IMHO the most worthy point of all.

I thing the "old" data needs to be marked as "biased in that aspect" and that has to be considered in scientific evaluation of the data.  Additionally the "old" galaxies (or a subset) could surely be rescheduled into the new GZ to evaluate the impact of the improvement and to evaluate the bias.

Merkosh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:25:49 am »
Hmmm - I've just been on the hubble site - seems that my suggestion didn't fell on fertile grounds.

- too late ?
- too stupid ?
- not seen by the developers ?

Hope it make it in a future version - should at least be not too late for the zoo beyond hubble ...

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 10:31:00 am »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
This topic was started on October 13, 2009.

Now there is the new Zoo and it is possible to select multiple "Is there anything odd?" options!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:27:36 pm by zutopian »

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 05:37:49 pm »

Now there is the new Zoo and it is possible to select multiple "Is there anything odd?" options!
;D Yes this is a nice feature of the new zoo. My only questions why is there now odd feature for the Hubble pictures or have I just missed it?

Merkosh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 07:01:58 pm »

As far as I see my feature request is full implemented - in the "is there anything odd" part at the end of the questionaire any number of choices could be activated. Thanks !

Merkosh

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 06:04:06 am »
"Galaxy Zoo: Quantifying Morphological Indicators of Galaxy Interaction"
Furthermore, the way in which the question for these Odd features was arranged, allowing only one of the available options to be selected, results in cross-talk between the Odd categories, in terms of both true signal and projection bias, which complicates their interpretation. We find that this projection bias is also present for the GZ1 Merger classification, and shows a behaviour very similar to its GZ2 equivalent. Previous studies which used the GZ1 Merger class to identify merger candidates (Darg et al. 2010a,b) will have suffered to some degree from this issue, but the effect is probably relatively small due to their use of vote fraction thresholds and the fact that the low-V galaxy pairs have a larger mean Merger vote fraction at most projected separations relative to the control sample pairs. In future iterations of Galaxy Zoo, and other visual classification efforts, it would be preferable to keep questions regarding different types of features distinct, or allow multiple answers to be selected for a single question when the relevant features are not mutually exclusive.
Authors: Kevin R. V. Casteels, Steven P. Bamford, Ramin A. Skibba, Karen L. Masters, Chris J. Lintott, William C. Keel, Kevin Schawinski, Robert C. Nichol, Arfon M. Smith
(Submitted on 21 Jun 2012 (v1), last revised 16 Nov 2012 (this version, v2))
http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.5020

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:12 am »

As far as I see my feature request is full implemented - in the "is there anything odd" part at the end of the questionaire any number of choices could be activated. Thanks !

Merkosh

I am pleased, that it is now possible, but I wonder, why it took 3 years before realizing it? It should have been possible at least since the previous GZ (Hubble Zoo).

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 07:40:18 am »

;D Yes this is a nice feature of the new zoo. My only questions why is there now odd feature for the Hubble pictures or have I just missed it?

There is following discussion about it in Talk.:
http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/discussions/DGZ1005mfd