Author Topic: My first day in galaxy zoo  (Read 4162 times)

*kittykat*

• View Profile
My first day in galaxy zoo
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:33:08 pm »
Hi people!

I'm writing a 16 pg paper on why spiral galaxies flatten out onto a single plane, and a friend told me that I should try this website. So I'm trying it, and I'm finding it really interesting! ^_^

I've also looked on the forum a little, and it's so cool that people are so nice to each other here. I can't wait to continue my research here!! :D

Oh, and before I forget, I should also ask if anyone could give me any information on my topic. ;P

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
Re: My first day in galaxy zoo
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:23:09 pm »
Hello Kittykat and welcome to the Zoo.  :D  I guess that would be a question for the Zookeepers, they are the astronomers from Galaxy Zoo.  I think Dr. Karen Masters did something involving spirals...Let me ask her if she can point you on the right direction.  ;D
Happy hunting!  ;D ;D

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

waveney

• Irregular Galaxy Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:26:14 pm »
Hello Kitty and welcome to the Zoo, the friendliest place on the web.

We have everyone here from novices to professors, I am sure there are people here who might know.

Join the Irregular Classifiers
We all help at the cutting edge of ignorance.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:18:30 pm »
Welcome Kittykat, purrrrrr, purrrrr - you won't keep your long name long, meow, etc :D ;D so let us know what you'd like us to call you ;D

I'm assuming that it's for the same reason as anything flattens out into a disk, the Solar System included - that's the way they're going round, like a whirlpool, all trying to head in roughly the same direction - but why they should be like that in the first place I have no idea! :D ;D I'd love to know what you conclude in your paper. ;D I'll put someone clever onto this. ;D

Edd

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:32:10 pm »
Hi there!

It's down to the conservation of angular momentum. I'll let you go and research the details but that phrase should help you find useful stuff I hope ;)
Basically, angular momentum has to stay in the same total amount, just like energy and ordinary momentum. Broadly speaking, you can flatten something spinning and preserve its angular momentum, but you can't change the radius of their orbit. This means gravity can pull something together in one direction but in others the angular momentum stops things falling in.
When I look up at the night sky and think about the billions of stars out there, I think to myself: I'm amazing. - Peter Serafinowicz

*kittykat*

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 02:13:54 am »
Okay, I'll check that out. Thanks Edd :)

And I shortened my name, hope its better Miss Alice ;D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 03:50:41 am »
I didn't mean you had to shorten your name, I only meant you were likely to acquire a nickname here . . . ;D

AlexandredOr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 05:53:25 am »
Kittykat is so the nickname of your nickname ! Just tell us, do you like cats  ;D ?
And welcome to the Zoo from me too !
 :D

Baby star opening its eyes on the Universe.

*kittykat*

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 10:00:43 pm »
I like cats, yes (though i actually have a dog), but that isn't the reason for my nickname. just that some of my friends call me that because they think i'm cat-like :)

lol meow

stargazingmommy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 11:09:42 pm »
My oldest kids nickname is kiwi flavoured puppy dog in some places. and she's a cat person.
welcome to the Zoo Kitty.
I'm watching young Einstein. He just told his dad he wants to be a physicists. His dad says what do they grow, kid says nothing, dad says whats the use of them then.
 It's a funny movie, pretty pointless and a good time waster when i should be cleaning house.
Pluto is still a planet!

*kittykat*

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 10:30:10 pm »
Hey friends!

I finally wrote wrote that huge paper, but I think I need more raw data for me to work with. As my advisor said, "you need to crunch some numbers"

Any ideas of where I could find some data on my topic??

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 06:56:44 am »
I think that you start a new topic, and call it

Why do spiral galaxies flatten out onto a single plane?

and say what you are needing, ie numbers to crunch?

Quote the post from Edd, so he doesn't have to reply again.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:59:08 am by Budgieye »

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 11:37:51 pm »
Greetings,

Hey friends!

I finally wrote wrote that huge paper, but I think I need more raw data for me to work with. As my advisor said, "you need to crunch some numbers"

Any ideas of where I could find some data on my topic??

If you have the equations of motion, then all you need do is create one or more synthetic data sets.  In the coordinate frame of your choice, randomly place three mass points about the origin and set the system to rotate about one axis. 

If you do not have the equations of motion, you need not bother trying to find a data set.

Best regards,
EigenState