Author Topic: Video lecture resources of interest  (Read 3600 times)

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Video lecture resources of interest
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:20:47 pm »
Academic Earth:  free online video courses from leading universities.

Subjects include:

AP Test Prep, Architecture, Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Entrepreneurship, Environmental Studies, History, International Relations, Law, Literature, Mathematics, Media Studies, Medicine, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Pre-Med, Psychology, and Religious Studies.

Universities represented include:

Berkeley, Columbia, Harvard, Michigan, MIT, NYU, Princeton, Stanford, UCLA, and Yale.

TED:  Ideas worth spreading.

Subjects include:

Science, Technology, Global Issues, and more.

A wide variety of languages are supported.  The TED Open Translation Project brings TEDTalks beyond the English-speaking world by offering subtitles, interactive transcripts and the ability for any talk to be translated by volunteers worldwide.

rotar

• CINE MERGE NU STA...
    • View Profile
Re: Video lecture resources of interest
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:57:50 pm »
A rely galaxy
VIRGULARIZAREA FRAZARILOR EXPRIMATIUNII IN CONOTATII ADIACENTE..

osemarvin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:12:48 pm »
Everyone who’s interested about astronomy and cosmology, and are eager to learn more, there’s a free online video course (50 hours or so) @ University of California, Berkeley, called: Introduction to General Astronomy (instructor Dr. Alex Filippenko).

Dr. Alex Filippenko is very famous astrophysicist and he has received numerous honors for his undergraduate teaching, including the Carl Sagan Prize for Science Popularization in 2004. In 2006 Filippenko was awarded the US Professor of the Year Award.

Filippenko was a member of the Supernova Cosmology Project and the High-z Supernova Search Team that used observations of extragalactic supernovae to discover the accelerating universe. This universal acceleration implies the existence of dark energy and was voted the top science breakthrough of 1998 by Science magazine.

Link to lecture videos.
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978460

I have watched this lecture series many, many times, and I must say that Alex is absolutely amazing lecturer. These lectures are highly educational, informative, entertaining, great fun and yet sometimes really touching. Best of all, these lectures are free for everyone to watch. Highly recommended!

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:10:47 pm »
Everyone who’s interested about astronomy and cosmology, and are eager to learn more, there’s a free online video course (50 hours or so) @ University of California, Berkeley, called: Introduction to General Astronomy (instructor Dr. Alex Filippenko).

Dr. Alex Filippenko is very famous astrophysicist and he has received numerous honors for his undergraduate teaching, including the Carl Sagan Prize for Science Popularization in 2004. In 2006 Filippenko was awarded the US Professor of the Year Award.

Filippenko was a member of the Supernova Cosmology Project and the High-z Supernova Search Team that used observations of extragalactic supernovae to discover the accelerating universe. This universal acceleration implies the existence of dark energy and was voted the top science breakthrough of 1998 by Science magazine.

Link to lecture videos.
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978460

I have watched this lecture series many, many times, and I must say that Alex is absolutely amazing lecturer. These lectures are highly educational, informative, entertaining, great fun and yet sometimes really touching. Best of all, these lectures are free for everyone to watch. Highly recommended!
;D ;D Welcome to the zoo and thanks for the link will check it out :D

Kelly LeTourneau D.O.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:35:57 pm »
I second Alex's class for someone who has not had any astrophysics instruction or just brushing up.  There is a bit more science in Charles Bailyn's course at Yale(also free and online.)

Other classes I have watched, learned and greatly enjoyed are Walter Lewin's course(classical mechanics) and David Jerison's course(18.01 single variable calculus.)  Both are on MIT opencourseware.