Author Topic: Heart shape galaxy  (Read 2348 times)

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
Heart shape galaxy
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:18:32 am »
Its very easy and quick to get a “similar” effect to the love heart by making two rings and then changing the view. When you reset the view it no longer looks like its target. Here are two screen shots of the same merger without any changes. (This is not a good match, i’m sure if i gave it a bit more time i could make a better match)

Here is the same sim when you press reset view.

How important is it that we match the Sim on the set /reset view?
It has been mentioned before, but is this an overlap?  ::)

Edit – i’ve just done this one the view has not been changed

The red and blue image looks interesting almost like there’s another galaxy – what is it? It wasn't like that in the sim?

(usually i am very neat, my mergers page is now open with lots of messy looking rings, i'll try for better examples another time)  :D

Art does not reproduce the visible....  Paul Klee

zookeeperChris

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Heart shape galaxy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:40:06 pm »
Thanks for all the hard work. I asked John about saving rotations, and this is what he had to say (it's going up on the FAQ page shortly).

Chris

When we set up the simulations for a collision, we measure the locations of the centers of the two galaxies directly from the original image.  We align our simulations to these points in order to ensure that the final positions of the simulations are exactly aligned to the real positions of the galaxies.  When you rotated the simulation to a different angle, you are misaligning the location of the simulation relative to the image.  Although the outer tidal features might look better, the locations of the galaxies has been altered making the match you found less valid.  The rotation features were included to let you get a three dimensional sense of the simulation.  We don't allow you to save these rotations since they aren't really matches to the original system.

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:12:40 pm »
Thanks for the reply Chris.  :)

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:01:58 pm »
It's still here so I persevere yet one more time. I get the feel the rings are formed as a consequence of the merger; not that one or two of the galaxies were ringed before the merger. The outcome of the mergers is so rare, ie. the final heart shaped ensemble is so improbable that it is very difficult to simulate with up to two passes.

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:57:42 pm »
It's still here so I persevere yet one more time. I get the feel the rings are formed as a consequence of the merger; not that one or two of the galaxies were ringed before the merger. The outcome of the mergers is so rare, ie. the final heart shaped ensemble is so improbable that it is very difficult to simulate with up to two passes.

Hmmm interesting, i read this earlier and it prompted me to try again! I'm still not sure - it's tricky.   :D

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »
I don't think i can do much better than this really, this time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:23:47 pm by echo-lily-mai »

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:14 pm »
WOW !   :o :o :o Very nice  :D

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:10:01 pm »
Hi Els and Graham and all, do you think one is a one arm spiral rather than a ring? I've not tried to sim that. I don't know, just an idea. I might try for fun to see what happens. Tomorrow.

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:03:33 pm »
I don't know Lily :-\

If it's so rare, and it apparently is, ie. one of a kind, it's like searching for a missing link. In this case it's not an end stage, nor a beginning, but a time slice in the dynamics of an interaction between the dynamics of two galaxies in the process of eventual complete merging.
If you can understand that I'm probably misleading you :)

If you look at the ""Hoag's Object(s)"-Like" objects that we have listed in the abyss of the archives, then the more I look at it the more I feel that we should pigeon hole it there. It looks stunning, stunningly beautiful doesn't it, like that idyllic view down some verdant valley in Spring, Summer's short lease ahead. Forget it-look closer - in the struggle for life and existence the survivors after that bleak winter are faced with scarce resources; survival of the fittest. I wouldn't want to live in the heart of that maelstrom, the  "The Scream" is more appropriate.

Eventually, John will give us more detail and put us out of our misery. If it's so rare, effectively a one off, then a simulation capable of predicting the dynamics of the merger would be so prophetic that it would be capable of providing time slices of the total merger, which in effect we would never see in nature, even though we observe countless millions of interactions as instantaneous interactions. We would have to hang around for hundreds(thousands) of millions of years for those secrets (was that 42 again). Does it matter? :)
We need another merger posted asap. I'll vote for that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:10:28 pm by graham d »

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:09 am »
It is amazing how far apart some of the galaxies are when I rotate the angle.
I just wish I could do it for the one in the middle of the "Explore" page.

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:52 am »
Me too !  ;D