Author Topic: Now live news from Seattle on Hubble & Hanny's Voorwerp!  (Read 28188 times)

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
Re: Hubble & Hanny's Voorwerp!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 07:44:23 am »

randtek

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 02:50:06 pm »
 Hello!

I'm really excited that the voorwerp will be imaged by Hubble. How long will it be before these Hubble images will be available for viewing?

lehensuge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 09:05:29 pm »
Bonsoir,
Dont we have to wait one year ?
I dont know ? Zookeepers ?
Lehensuge

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 09:58:42 pm »
I'm really excited that the voorwerp will be imaged by Hubble. How long will it be before these Hubble images will be available for viewing?

Th whole story on that is here. The images that (as far as I can guess now) might be more spectacular will come from the Advanced Camera for Surveys in 8 more days; it has tunable filters that let us isolate emission lines (O++, H) at the desired redshift. For final image products, when we have results enough for a press release so we can use that to attract more attention to the Zoo. For science results, watch this space and the blog. Sometimes we learn things that are apparent very quickly from inspection of the data; other times, it takes a long trail of analysis.

Meanwhile, the last pair of exposures should be underway now for this visit, and I hope the telemetry will come down and calibration be applied to the data within a few hours after that, so I can get a first look without having to stay up all night. I just checked - the original observation proposal was submitted just over two years ago. No wonder this has seemed like such a long wait. Anyone living within a few hundred km of here, worried on hearing some sort of gleeful cackling noise later tonight - no fear, it's just me.

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:56 pm »
Tx for the update Bill
and for any gleeful cackling, I'd be more than honoured to join in !  ;D

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 10:18:31 pm »
I just checked - the original observation proposal was submitted just over two years ago. No wonder this has seemed like such a long wait.

Yup, we heard it was accepted on my 25th birthday. ;D ;) So maybe we'll have the picture on my 27th? :D ::)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:21:58 pm by Hanny »

Joseph K. H. Cheng

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 06:19:58 am »

Th whole story on that is here. The images that (as far as I can guess now) might be more spectacular will come from the Advanced Camera for Surveys in 8 more days; it has tunable filters that let us isolate emission lines (O++, H) at the desired redshift. For final image products, when we have results enough for a press release so we can use that to attract more attention to the Zoo. For science results, watch this space and the blog. Sometimes we learn things that are apparent very quickly from inspection of the data; other times, it takes a long trail of analysis.

Meanwhile, the last pair of exposures should be underway now for this visit, and I hope the telemetry will come down and calibration be applied to the data within a few hours after that, so I can get a first look without having to stay up all night. I just checked - the original observation proposal was submitted just over two years ago. No wonder this has seemed like such a long wait. Anyone living within a few hundred km of here, worried on hearing some sort of gleeful cackling noise later tonight - no fear, it's just me.

Thank you so much, Bill for the latest update while the Hubble observations are underway at this very moment. All Zooites await eagerly for your first feedback on the preliminary results. Let us all keep our fingers crossed and hope to get some definite answers on the true nature of the Voorwerp and soon. :) :) :)

JKHC.
" Only connect ! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its highest ." - by E.M. FORSTER from his novel -  "HOWARDS END ".

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 06:37:50 am »
 :)

Hope the images turn out well.

(I've never seen Hubble - it stays too close to the equator to be seen in high northern latitudes)

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 02:27:06 pm »
Just a quick update - late last night I finished puling over the new images and supporting files (1.6 Gbytes all together - thank you, cable modem!). Looks like everything worked instrumentally - no loss of guiding or anything. The image products from the standard "pipeline" processing look fairly - unappealing - because they don't do as good a job of rejecting cosmic rays from offset pairs of images as more tailored processing will do, so that's next on the agenda (after talking to some folks to STScI to benefit from their experience with the analysis software). You've all seen how cosmic rays can do bad things to SDSS image in 50-second exposures; Hubble doesn't get shielded by the atmosphere, and we were using individual exposures 20-25 minutes long, so this is a big issue (and the reason for doing multiple exposures al the time).

These images were taken in filters (UV, one close to the i band, and near-IR) chosen to minimize the light from the ionized gas in the Voorwerp, so we could look for stars (actually star clusters) associated with it, as well as peer deeply into the galaxy IC 2497. On a first examination, there seems to be something in IC 2497 which was unexpected and potentially interesting in the UV image. (You know, I don't like it when people tease me that way!)

Back to that software download...

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 02:32:47 pm »
Just a quick update - late last night I finished puling over the new images and supporting files (1.6 Gbytes all together - thank you, cable modem!). Looks like everything worked instrumentally - no loss of guiding or anything. The image products from the standard "pipeline" processing look fairly - unappealing - because they don't do as good a job of rejecting cosmic rays from offset pairs of images as more tailored processing will do, so that's next on the agenda (after talking to some folks to STScI to benefit from their experience with the analysis software). You've all seen how cosmic rays can do bad things to SDSS image in 50-second exposures; Hubble doesn't get shielded by the atmosphere, and we were using individual exposures 20-25 minutes long, so this is a big issue (and the reason for doing multiple exposures al the time).

These images were taken in filters (UV, one close to the i band, and near-IR) chosen to minimize the light from the ionized gas in the Voorwerp, so we could look for stars (actually star clusters) associated with it, as well as peer deeply into the galaxy IC 2497. On a first examination, there seems to be something in IC 2497 which was unexpected and potentially interesting in the UV image. (You know, I don't like it when people tease me that way!)

;D ;D ;D

Joseph K. H. Cheng

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 03:13:13 pm »

Thank you again, Bill for the latest update. It seems that there are still a few technical issues to be overcome. Hope everything goes well.  ;D ;D ;D

JKHC.
" Only connect ! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its highest ." - by E.M. FORSTER from his novel -  "HOWARDS END ".

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 04:22:41 pm »
This data will keep us busy for quite a while....

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 05:41:20 pm »
 Are there any images yet?

garrett_cw

• In this picture I'm the Grandfather.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 06:17:57 pm »
Thanks for the update, Bill.  ;D
Curtis
"To get along in life you must be very clever or very nice. I've been clever. I recomend nice."

lehensuge

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 06:38:30 pm »
Are there any images yet?
Any hope ?
Lehensuge