Author Topic: Seeking good merger-fit samples  (Read 1601 times)

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Seeking good merger-fit samples
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:26:53 pm »
I have a public talk on galaxy interactions coming up in a couple of weeks. To illustrate Merger Zoo, I'd like to feature Zoo applications (surprise!). I would be interested in getting some screenshots of nice image/simulation comparisons to give concrete examples, so if people would like to post good examples, here, I'll gleefully grab them. (Thinking back, it's shocking how much effort a student of ours put in the early 1990s into an application that would do that comparison interactively simply from flat-disk simulations. Computing marches on!)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking good merger-fit samples
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:32:46 am »
;D ;D

By screenshots, you mean stuff grabbed while classifying? And by comparisons, you mean Galaxy Wars? I'm hoping not the latter . . .

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:44:54 am »
No, the Merger Zoo comparisons between real and computed galaxies.

Quialiss

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:42:14 am »
Have you checked out the gallery that was recently put up on Merger Zoo?  Some very nice examples there, but if you need more...  ;D

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:54:08 am »
Have you checked out the gallery that was recently put up on Merger Zoo?  Some very nice examples there, but if you need more...  ;D

That was just what I was thinking Quialiss. It's a fab gallery, there are great examples there. Hope your talk goes well. It would be great to watch/listen to it, please will you let us know if it gets posted

:)

Art does not reproduce the visible....  Paul Klee

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:05:27 pm »

Oohh! Bingo, just the kind of thing I was looking for. Cancel the emergency call...

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:09:14 am »
I think I read on twitter that you had done your talk. How did it go? Has it been posted anywhere?
Hope it went well.  :)

Art does not reproduce the visible....  Paul Klee