Author Topic: HubbleZoo discussion  (Read 35090 times)

LankyYankee

• View Profile
Re: HubbleZoo discussion
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »
The Forum's NGC catalog LIST thread has reached a milestone.

It now includes an SDSS image of 4,290 NGC objects -- every NGC object within the SDSS footprint. In addition to all those SDSS images, the thread includes non-SDSS images of about ten percent of the 3,550 NGC objects that are outside the SDSS footprint.

Plus it includes two (or more) images of 21 objects, one an SDSS image that the other a non-SDSS image.

I gather that the thread is frequently visited by many folks who are not already involved in the Zoo, because the thread has received more than one hundred thousand hits since it was initiated nine months ago. Hopefully, at least some folks who first encounter the Zoo that way are intrigued and get involved in classifying galaxies.

I plan to continue expanding and refining the NGC LIST thread, and I would welcome any advice and assistance. Please send me a personal message about any aspect of the thread -- I would be particularly glad to receive messages about errors and omissions  (I'm pretty sure that there are not many of them, but even Homer nods  ;))

I'm also eager to add more links to the LIST thread from other Forum threads, such as Object of the Day threads about particular NGC objects, more SDSS images of NGC objects, such as images from Stripe 82, and non-SDSS images of objects outside the SDSS footprint. Please send me links to anything that would be a useful addition to the thread.

And I'd encourage anyone to post a description of the LIST thread plus a link on other astronomy websites.

-- Lanky Yankee

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2013, 03:49:51 pm »
That's great news LankyYankee! Well done!  ;D  :-*

It is especially pleasing to read of the enormous number of hits the list has received.  8)

Rather than PM you, I thought I'd put some comments and suggestions here; maybe they'll spark others to think of yet other things ...

I don't know if there are any NGC objects in the Kepler footprint, but if there are you may like to consider working out how to get Kepler images of them (and so provide yet another incentive for our PH zooite cousins to return to the one, the true Zoo!  :D ;) ). The Kepler footprint is outside the SDSS one.

As you have probably discovered, any NGC objects in, or near, M31 won't be given their own SDSS IDs, even though SDSS did image the whole of M31. Have these all already been included?

Perhaps a nice complement to SDSS images of NGC objects might be ones in quite different wavebands; the appearance of galaxies can vary dramatically, as you go from the far-UV to the reddest of the WISE filters, for example. And 2- or 3-color images may be available, produced in a uniform way (so comparisons would be 'valid', in some sense). Three surveys spring to mind: GALEX (2-band UV, though I don't think it's covered the whole sky uniformly yet), 2MASS (3-band, ground-based IR), and WISE (like 2MASS only more bands, space-based, and deeper). A huge amount of work, to be sure, but it may raise the hit rate by a factor a few to a dozen (uniformity and wavelength coverage are really big pluses).

When I have time, I'll go through at least my OOTDs, and add links to LIST NGCs (if they're not already there) ...

LankyYankee

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2013, 04:21:33 pm »
Thank you, Jean -- as time allows I'll follow up on all your  excellent suggestions. If anyone reading this feels so inclined, they could do the same and let me know when they find something to add to the LIST thread.

Of course, anyone who has any additional suggestions for or comments about the NGC LIST can post them here and I will follow up on them, too.

And just to make it clearer about the LIST and Objects of the Day, my particular mission is to post links to OOTD threads in the LIST thread -- so when you do make a link from an OOTD to the LIST, also let me know so I can add the reverse link to the LIST.

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2013, 08:35:29 pm »
 :o WOW wonderful work LankyYankee.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2013, 09:08:36 pm »
More thoughts:

Why not contact the people who run (ran?) the NGC/IC project? They might consider providing a link to the NGC catalog LIST thread here; if they have enough resources, they may offer you a way to host 3-band images you may create; etc.

In any case, the NGC/IC project's entries on each object provide valuable historical context; perhaps you could consider adding a link from each NGC catalog LIST post to the relevant entry on that website?

In many respects, what ended up in the NGC and what didn't was pretty arbitrary; the more complete and consistent catalog is NGC+IC (which was, historically, three separate catalogs). Lots of work to be sure, but maybe consider adding the IC objects too?

I would strongly recommend that you write a Letter (PM me if you'd like more on this).