Author Topic: HubbleZoo discussion  (Read 33598 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HubbleZoo discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 11:43:13 am »
We have already been told that some of the images we are given to classify in Hubble Zoo are actually SDSS images. For some of them it is evident even without checking it in any way :). So, suppose we have one of these SDSSes. Can we find its "real" reference number?
yes: classify as favourite , then make an RSS feed and there you'll get the SDSS address  ;D

Oooooh! How do you make an RSS feed? I didn't know this ;D ;D ;D

katastrofa_nadfioletu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 02:38:07 pm »
We have already been told that some of the images we are given to classify in Hubble Zoo are actually SDSS images. For some of them it is evident even without checking it in any way :). So, suppose we have one of these SDSSes. Can we find its "real" reference number?
yes: classify as favourite , then make an RSS feed and there you'll get the SDSS address  ;D

Thanks Bruno! I'll have a lot to search...

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 10:23:06 pm »
Does anyone know whether the galaxies from Hubble (not the SDSS ones) are representative, of the galaxies in the GEMS, EGS, and GOODS fields?

Of all the objects in those fields, how were the ~200,000 we will be shown (and asked to classify) chosen?

How did the zookeepers decide what to select (and what not to select)?

Myself, I'm amazed at just how unlike the SDSS galaxies most of the Hubble ones are!

zookeeperChris

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 10:43:30 pm »
Hi all

A couple of quick answers :

1. For galaxies drawn from the Sloan, you'll now find the old link to 'more information' and the SDSS ID in My Galaxies. Sorry for taking this away temporarily (and thanks to Arfon, who fixed it while running for a plane).

2. The galaxies chosen for the zoo from the Hubble surveys are all those above a particular brightness in each survey, which was chosen to maximize both the science and the number of interesting galaxies.

Thanks for all your clicks!

Chris

oswego9050

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 10:57:24 pm »
MERCI BEAUCOUP to all involved for restoring the My Galaxies page to its normal format!!!  :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-*
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Carl Sagan

paulrogers

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 05:36:19 am »
MERCI BEAUCOUP to all involved for restoring the My Galaxies page to its normal format!!!  :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-*

Que?  My My Galaxies doesn't give me any means to make one of my recents a Favorite. :'( :'( :'(

h.kohler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 07:02:55 am »

YES I also would like to thank every one for that  :) :) :) :)

Kalebats

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010, 10:02:51 am »

Thank you very much indeed :)
Because we couldn't see our recently classified galaxies i have added much to favorites (even not favorites), a remove from favorites option would be nice too  ;D
- Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll
  believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to  
  touch to be sure
- All great discoveries are made by
  mistake

Murphy

katastrofa_nadfioletu

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 11:15:22 am »
Yes, thanks ZookeeperChris (and other Zookeepers of course). My my Galaxies are greeting you all :)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »
Where should LSB galaxies we find in the Hubble collection go - in a new thread here in GZ:H, or in the 'old' LSB thread (Low Surface Brightness (LSB) galaxies.. distant, dark and mysterious...)?

oswego9050

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »

Que?  My My Galaxies doesn't give me any means to make one of my recents a Favorite. :'( :'( :'(

You're right - I was so excited when I saw my lost 1700 or so Recent and Favorites I didn't notice the Add and Delete Favorite buttons were still missing -  I'm sure Arfon will eventually fix it - he seems to work wonders - even at 30K feet!   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:13:04 pm by oswego9050 »
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Carl Sagan

stargatetraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 04:19:46 am »
well I come back to the zoo and it's zoo-hubble - "Clumpy"? who came up with that ? I'm having a hard time figuring whats what on a lot of them. and no sdss number ? to further explore at the DR7 site, so do we refer to these hubble images by their 8 diget numbers ? how would you classify the below 3 ? the top one looks like an irregular cloud of gases, my next example down looks like the edge of a galaxy and the third down looks like vapor trail of gases ?  I'll miss the SDSS images (and I thought a lot of them were fuzzy) . . . . I love the Hubble space telescope and support it but now they got us workin'..... and wondering and guessing more 'cause the images seem to be vaguer. . . . so back to my top 3 posted how would one correctly classify them ?
True adventure requires the sense of encountering danger and living through it to carry back the tale.

katastrofa_nadfioletu

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:21 am »
well I come back to the zoo and it's zoo-hubble - "Clumpy"? who came up with that ? I'm having a hard time figuring whats what on a lot of them. and no sdss number ? to further explore at the DR7 site, so do we refer to these hubble images by their 8 diget numbers ? how would you classify the below 3 ? the top one looks like an irregular cloud of gases, my next example down looks like the edge of a galaxy and the third down looks like vapor trail of gases ?  I'll miss the SDSS images (and I thought a lot of them were fuzzy) . . . . I love the Hubble space telescope and support it but now they got us workin'..... and wondering and guessing more 'cause the images seem to be vaguer. . . . so back to my top 3 posted how would one correctly classify them ?
I believe that we can give no sharp meaning to what is "correct classification" -  according to Alice our task is to judge the apparent shape of the objects. Now, standing on the safe ground of just giving personal opinions :), I would classify all these three images using the clumpy category.  The second picture I consider the most tricky as part of the galaxy is out of frame.

I wonder what are others' opinions.

stargatetraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 04:59:25 am »
thank you katastrofa_nadfioletu for your opinion - as usual I get little response, Am I posting these questions in the right place ? the topic is "Hubble zoo discussion". thank you, I guess I'll just keep guessing untill someone answers me aye.
True adventure requires the sense of encountering danger and living through it to carry back the tale.

katastrofa_nadfioletu

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 04:03:41 pm »
thank you katastrofa_nadfioletu for your opinion - as usual I get little response, Am I posting these questions in the right place ? the topic is "Hubble zoo discussion". thank you, I guess I'll just keep guessing untill someone answers me aye.
Hi stargatetraveler!
Be patient and do not worry. You may try to post your questions in Newbies, Post your Interesting objects/queries here or directly in the threads, where you think the galaxies would feat (which not the case with the three guys above I guess...).