Author Topic: Current and Planned Enhancements  (Read 2916 times)

Quialiss

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: Current and Planned Enhancements
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 03:48:25 am »
I did a few experiments to try and figure out what's going on.  I love poking at problems, especially inexplicable ones. :D 

Short version.  No matter which adjustment system I'm using, the first time I view a sim from explore, the values change slightly, which will change the appearance of the sim if it happens to be close to one of those 'sweet spots' where the sim changes drastically with minute changes.  Values changed in the 2d slider mode also change slightly when reloaded, values changed using the two independent sliders do NOT. 

Possible cause for you, Anthony... Is the sensitivity on the new controls the same as the old one?  I think the results I found make sense if the 2 sliders have a decimal place or two less accuracy than the simulations Explore creates, and the 2d slider adjusts.

Long version, how I came to my conclusions.

The 2 separate sliders do not move.  However, when using the single slider, the hollow cross that indicates the original position is often not aligned with the solid cross that indicates current position. 

I ran a few tests to see how often the value changes, clicking the six variables in order, mass, speed, depth, size, angles 1, angles 2, for 7 different sims, all selected from explore. The vast majority the crosses were misaligned the first time viewing the tab and then did not shift again if I went back to it, with a few weird exceptions.  Numbers, if they matter.  Out of the 42 tests, only 4 were always in the same position, 2 started in the 'original' position, but then changed position the second time they were clicked on.  The other 36 were all in slightly different positions, and 5 of those were in a different position again the second time I clicked on them. 

I also found out while doing this that depth is not the only one that produces visible changes, I think it's simply because the majority of sims are sensitive to slight changes in depth.  This sim is extremely sensitive to depth and mass, the sequence of events here: sim selected with speed tab active, 1, click depth, 2, click mass, 3

Second experiment, seeing how sims saved from Enhance behave.  If I take a sim, change something on one tab, and don't view the rest, save it, and then switch between all the variables in the new saved sim, the cross shifts about like it does in the parent sim.  However, if I take a sim, click through all the variables until the cross indicator stops being misaligned, change one of the variables at random, and then look at the new saved sim, the only variables that demonstrate the misaligned cross are the variable I changed, and depth.  If I change depth, only depth is misaligned. 

--That was using the 2d slider.  After my third experiment, I redid this one with the two independent sliders, the difference was that the changed variable didn't change when switching away from and back to the variable.. and neither did depth.  Depth changing at all there is another unexplained oddity, which I am not going to explore right now.--

Third experiment, seeing how/if values change inside a given sim.. And here, we start to see something interesting.  Differences in how the two methods of adjustment behave! 

Change something in single slider mode, switch away from and then back to the changed variable, the value has changed.
Change something in single slider mode, change to 2 sliders, switch away from and then back to the changed variable, the value has changed.
Change something in 2 slider mode, switch away from and then back to the changed variable, the value is the same.
Change something in 2 slider mode, change to single slider mode, switch away from and then back to the changed variable, the value is the same.

I also briefly tested it out on IE instead of Firefox, no changes in behavior. 

thaumielx72

• My daughter's next book cover: FireWalker (Nov 2, 2010)
    • View Profile
Re: Current and Planned Enhancements
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 10:37:20 pm »
Excellent upgrade!

It's great to see that GZ Mergers is moving along nicely.

It's always good to have feedback from the programmers of the apps you use all the time.  (Hmmm - BOINC could learn something here ...)