Author Topic: *Hubble Possible AGNs*Please post galaxies that scream AGN*  (Read 58329 times)

h.kohler

• View Profile
Re: *Hubble Possible AGNs*Please post galaxies that scream AGN*
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2010, 06:16:55 am »
I posted that one in oddities, C_cid suggested that I should post it here.

http://zoo-hst.s3.amazonaws.com/13056934.jpg

swengineer

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2010, 06:27:00 am »
Posting this beauty here with Bruno's advice:
I did not see a good home for this one, so posting here (Newbies, Post your Interesting objects/queries here thread). 
Elliptical or lenticular with a huge dust lane and sprouting an arm or two??
Hi Mark
NED says it's a NLAGN DEEP2 12004450     14h17m04.2s +52d24m54s G      z=0.281337     
So you can post it here
BTW it's lenticular not elliptical   8)

http://zoo-hst.s3.amazonaws.com/12004450.jpg

With the hint to look at NED, I dug deeper and found the same object in SDSS DR7
SDSS J141704.20+522453.6    id=587733412593402398

I was also able to find some spectra at AEGIS. 

http://tkserver.keck.hawaii.edu/egs/dataAccess/notebook/egs_notebook.php?serial=12004450

The HST image has amazing resolution compared to SDSS. I rotated and scaled the HST image to match SDSS.  It overlays reasonably well.
I also zoomed in on the spectra to show the strong N_II, H alpha, S_II and Si_II emission lines. (AEGIS doesn't label the spike at 8920 observed.)

Cheers,

-Mark

Kalebats

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 07:54:59 pm by Kalebats »
- Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll
  believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to  
  touch to be sure
- All great discoveries are made by
  mistake

Murphy

paulrogers

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2010, 07:35:32 am »

I am NOT buying the idea that this is a coincidentally perfectly placed star.  Not until I see some evidence.  Yeah, I agree a galactic core that bright is probably exceptional.  (I classified it a one-armed spiral.)

p.s. note the thin little ring around the other comma-shape at 10 o'clock.

oswego9050

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2010, 09:33:09 am »

I am NOT buying the idea that this is a coincidentally perfectly placed star.  Not until I see some evidence.  Yeah, I agree a galactic core that bright is probably exceptional.  (I classified it a one-armed spiral.)

Hi paulrogers!  According to SIMBAD this one's a Seyfert 2 - don't you just love being right?  ;D   z=1.149.  Here are the SDSS and AEGIS links:
  http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=587733412593468033
AEGIS:  http://tkserver.keck.hawaii.edu/egs/dataAccess/notebook/egs_notebook.php?serial=12007954
 :D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 10:00:11 am by oswego9050 »
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Carl Sagan

Kalebats

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »

Hi paulrogers!  According to SIMBAD this one's a Seyfert 2 - don't you just love being right?  ;D   z=1.149.  Here are the SDSS and AEGIS links:
AEGIS:  http://tkserver.keck.hawaii.edu/egs/dataAccess/notebook/egs_notebook.php?serial=12007954
Hello  :)
Here is another example from the AEGIS site of an AGN and it explains why it look like this in the images . It was posted before in the forum. Looks like the same image but here they say its a mini-quasar ;)
How Hubble/ACS color images are made from two black-and-white images ACS images are taken through color filters that isolate particular wavelengths in the visible/near-infrared region of the spectrum.

These individual images are rendered in black-and-white but can be combined to make color images. The above three-part figure illustrates this process.

Panel a) is a single ACS V-band image of the object CXO-J141741.9, which appears to be a quartet of merging galactic fragments whose interaction has triggered a mini-quasar (bright point-source at upper left) and a starburst. The V filter captures yellow light near the middle of the spectral range that is visible to the human eye.

Panel b) is a similar view through the I filter, which is located redward of V towards the near-infrared.

Panel c) is the color composite made from the two images. If a pixel is brighter in I (red) than in V (yellow), it is colored red in the color composite. If a pixel is brighter in V (yellow) than in I (red), it is colored bluish in the color composite. Pixels that are equally bright are colored gray (neutral). It is obvious that the mini-quasar is quite red, which is thought to be due to dust clouds surrounding it that absorb and redden the light. (Galactic dust grains absorb more blue light than red, and so objects appear reddened when partially screened by dust in much the same way that the setting Sun looks red when its light traverses a long path through the atmosphere.)

Color images like these are extremely valuable---not only do they map the presence of dust, as here, but in more typical galaxies they signal star-formation histories. Recently formed young stellar populations are blue, while old stellar populations are "red-and-dead."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:00:58 pm by Kalebats »
- Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll
  believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to  
  touch to be sure
- All great discoveries are made by
  mistake

Murphy

oswego9050

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2010, 02:12:34 pm »

Hello  :)
Here is another example from the AEGIS site of an AGN and it explains why it look like this in the images . It was posted before in the forum. Looks like the same image but here they say its a mini-quasar ;)
How Hubble/ACS color images are made from two black-and-white images ACS images are taken through color filters that isolate particular wavelengths in the visible/near-infrared region of the spectrum.

These individual images are rendered in black-and-white but can be combined to make color images. The above three-part figure illustrates this process.

Panel a) is a single ACS V-band image of the object CXO-J141741.9, which appears to be a quartet of merging galactic fragments whose interaction has triggered a mini-quasar (bright point-source at upper left) and a starburst. The V filter captures yellow light near the middle of the spectral range that is visible to the human eye.

Panel b) is a similar view through the I filter, which is located redward of V towards the near-infrared.

Panel c) is the color composite made from the two images. If a pixel is brighter in I (red) than in V (yellow), it is colored red in the color composite. If a pixel is brighter in V (yellow) than in I (red), it is colored bluish in the color composite. Pixels that are equally bright are colored gray (neutral). It is obvious that the mini-quasar is quite red, which is thought to be due to dust clouds surrounding it that absorb and redden the light. (Galactic dust grains absorb more blue light than red, and so objects appear reddened when partially screened by dust in much the same way that the setting Sun looks red when its light traverses a long path through the atmosphere.)

Color images like these are extremely valuable---not only do they map the presence of dust, as here, but in more typical galaxies they signal star-formation histories. Recently formed young stellar populations are blue, while old stellar populations are "red-and-dead."

Hi Kalebats  :)  I also found this diagram posted on the GZ2 AGN thread which explains (at least for a non-scientist like me) the different AGN labels.   :D

paulrogers

« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2010, 05:50:03 pm »

Hi paulrogers!  According to SIMBAD this one's a Seyfert 2 - don't you just love being right?  ;D   z=1.149.

;)

Here are the SDSS and AEGIS links:
<snipped>

BTW: I never get anything from these AEGIS links but the solid black background.  Does one need a high-speed link?  I'm dialup.

Geez, it took me long enough to learn how to use the SDSS links effectively. :-\  This is brutal! :'(  I tried following various suggestions, but not very successfully.  I'm saving a few things until we get more usable (by me at least) tools to identify things.  They might be stars or QSO's.  e.g.

Mebbe star?

Mebbe QSO? Star?

Gorgeous, but awfully bright core!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 05:55:37 pm by paulrogers »

oswego9050

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2010, 10:45:01 pm »
Hi Paul - I do have hi speed internet, if that makes a difference.  I looked up your last 3 candidates - the middle one is not in AEGIS or VIZIER that I can find; the 1st and 3rd are in the VIZIER catalogue but outside the SDSS footprint.  And I don't know enough to understand what VIZIER tells you except ra and dec.   :-\  It will be nice when the new reference data is incorporated, provided we can all access (and understand) it.   :) 

BTW, if the black screen you're referring to is the AEGIS spectrum, it takes a minute or two to load even with hi-speed, so you may just need to wait a little longer.  If the entire screen is black, then I would guess you're not downloading data fast enough before it times out.  Just a guess - I'm no computer expert either.   ???
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:10:32 pm by oswego9050 »

Oozyzoozy

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2010, 06:52:22 am »
This is one hot potato...   8) Also an overlap.

http://zoo-hst.s3.amazonaws.com/90016170.jpg
AHZ40002tv
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:51:41 pm by Oozyzoozy »

paulrogers

« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2010, 05:57:29 pm »
It will be nice when the new reference data is incorporated, provided we can all access (and understand) it.   :) 

Dickens wrote it well, "Please, Sir, I want more."

BTW, if the black screen you're referring to is the AEGIS spectrum, it takes a minute or two to load even with hi-speed, so you may just need to wait a little longer. ...8<...  Just a guess - I'm no computer expert either.   ???

I should be, began programming in 1966, built my own "kit computer" in 1976, retired from a career in computing.  I can see the AEGIS spectra members sometimes post with their entries.  Can't imagine it should take longer than I have waited.  The browser status line says "Done".

oswego9050

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2010, 06:20:55 pm »
That's too bad...  :'( :'( :'(

Oozyzoozy

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2010, 12:23:12 pm »
I should be, began programming in 1966, built my own "kit computer" in 1976, retired from a career in computing.  I can see the AEGIS spectra members sometimes post with their entries.  Can't imagine it should take longer than I have waited.  The browser status line says "Done".

Interesting to read Paul, we must be from similar vintages, amongst the few remaining who know what ferite core memory was.  I still have a 1966 copy of Scientific American the whole issue of which was devoted to computing, which started me on a long trail of bits and bytes, buying ever more speed, memory and data storage.  You would have programmed on a 'teletype' with punched paper tape, before VDUs?  And then programmed in Fortran using punched cards?  Programmers today have it far too easy  ;D   Cheers, BerniE.

oswego9050

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2010, 12:54:30 pm »
Previously posted here.

Another possibility is that this galaxy may belong here - appears to be very similar to nucleus of NGC 7469 on NGC3314's website:)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:02:24 pm by oswego9050 »

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2010, 04:45:14 pm »

ID: AHZ10005hw