Author Topic: Suggestions for the User Interface  (Read 1632 times)

Hofi

• VISIT: http://hidden-space.at.tf
    • View Profile
Suggestions for the User Interface
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:23:50 pm »
Hi!

I start this thread because I sometimes have suggestions how to change the user interface for the galaxy classification in a certain way. This thread is to provide space to make such suggestions.

• It would be great to add a button to skip an object if you don't know how to classify it.
  • If the galaxy is an irregular one, I have to go through all other options before I can mention the irregularity.
  • I recently had a conversation with Alice about a user interface for profis where you only have to input numbers instead of clicking onto the buttons.

So please post your suggestions here to make classifying more comfortable!
Regards!
Hofi

!NEW UPDATES!   VISIT: http://hidden-space.at.tf and subscribe to the newsletter!   !NEW UPDATES!

Musicmac

• Tiny bit of info: network design, consultancy, test etc. Primary focus satcomms and internet (s/w platform testing etc). 30 Yrs exp Blue Chip Consultancy.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for the User Interface
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:52:38 am »
I think this topic should really be picked up.

I feel the star or artifact option should perhaps be changed to 'abnormal' with a submenu to say how it is abnormal (like go straight to anything odd but with more options?). There are many images I see which I know are not classifiable using the options presented. Usually I will go away and come back later and get a different image - don't want to classify something as an artifact if it clearly is not.

The options presented for 'anything odd' at the end of the classification process really need looking at. The graphics icons representing the options don't really mean a lot apart from the obvious ones (ring/lens etc).

There are a few of those options I have never used (Disturbed? never seen anything like the Icon but plenty I would call disturbed, Merger? Plenty of internal wrangles but not like the icon, 'Dust Lane' yes but not passing through so much, outside a lot!), but many more I would like! Things like bent-out spirals, curved lenticular galaxies, galaxies stretched out in one direction, pronounced colour differentials in a single galaxy and quite a lot more just are not obvious in your current options list. I am fairly sure most classifiers would welcome the ability to tell you more. I do wonder if you have the infrastucture in place to handle more explicit data. The amount of data you have to handle must already be rather large lol.

Thanks Hofi for starting this one. Very valid I feel.

Kindest Dave.

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:11:50 pm »
Hi Musicmac
I'm not going to answer al your questions, but I hope you do realize that the icons are just that : little pictures. You are not supposed to look for exact images of these pics.  I'd suggest you take a good look again at the tutorial as to what you are supposed to be looking for.
And if you truthfully answer the questions, you'll see that almost everything will get a valid classification.
I still hope you are having fun with this.
All the best
E.

Musicmac

• Tiny bit of info: network design, consultancy, test etc. Primary focus satcomms and internet (s/w platform testing etc). 30 Yrs exp Blue Chip Consultancy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:45:20 am »
Thanks for that Elizabeth. I totally appreciate what you say and the reasoning behind.

I do enjoy it. I am certain I get it right most of the time. I really feel very strongly that there should be a 'Skip This One' option for those (including me) who really don't know how to answer. If it goes into an 'other' classification or gets loaded onto someone else who may have more of an idea then fine.

I do come across ones sometimes I don't want discarded, but can't personally classify. No-one wants to go through loads of questions when they know they are not going to give a safe answer. The fact that the same is presented again and again to me does not help. There should be a 'Move on' kind of thing, save it for someone else, and let me continue! I am sure many others will feel this way.

You probably read profile. I am internet software test guy to an extent, and have been paid to fix holes. I do feel this is a hole that needs plugging. Honestly no disrespect to anyone. Anything I say I hope is constructive.

Kindest Dave.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:44:02 pm »
There is a reason why not to have a "skip" button, and that is that there are no right answers in the back of a textbook that we're aiming for. :)

The more people classify an image, the more accurate the overall answer is. To have a "skip" button would mean that only a few people classify the same image again and again - the most confident people, who might not actually be the best at it! This would definitely bias several images a great deal. It also might encourage people to feel that they really should use the skip button, and focus on what they consider to be their own accuracy rather than what they can see.

What you can see is what the zookeepers want to know. It doesn't matter if the image is unclear. If you think you see a bar, that's worth pointing out. If you really don't know and click no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, nothing, etc, then that is data. A lack of an answer so far is data, just as much as an answer is.

Hope this makes sense!

Musicmac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 12:25:12 am »
It does in a strange way. I've always hated stats as a subject but can understand the reasoning. Thanks for that anyway. I would still like the opt-out though as I do find a murky faded patchy pretty-much nothing image hard to classify. I would prefer not to call it an artifact - better just dump into 'odd' so it is not missed.

Such images I don't find too often but when I do I logoff and come back later. That of course begs the question - what do you do with 'star or artifact' answers? If that option is selected by all classifiers is the object ignored? If not then I'd be a lot happier with selecting it  :)

Kindest Dave.

waveney

• Irregular Galaxy Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 09:26:53 am »
There is science in clean everybody agrees with images (good classifications for statistical studies), there is also science in the hard to classify cases with a wide variation in opinions (why are they different?).   

The person whose classifications are not the same as the herd might be playing around, however they may be the most astute spotting the unusual and worth following up. 

All these cases can be handled in the post processing of your clicks.
Join the Irregular Classifiers
We all help at the cutting edge of ignorance.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 05:31:56 pm »
I'm not sure "star or artifact" is generally the best option for you in the cases you describe, Dave. They don't sound like stars or artifacts. Better to just click yes it has features, but no, not this, nor this, nor this, nor this . . . The "yes" aren't a "YES! We've got an answer!" but simply: yes it has that. A fuzzy blob is not an elliptical or lenticular (i.e. the "featureless" galaxies), but neither is it a star or artifact.

Musicmac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 01:55:54 am »
 :) Thanks 4 that. Didn't really have any appreciation of how these results may b interpreted. Accurate and unanimous results are good for an object. Confusing and different results from classifiers - good for another object - probably more important and interesting than the former.

Thanx 4 the comments. All appreciated. Have a good new year - almost there and I'm offline till after. Rgds Dave.
 :) :)