Author Topic: I missed being actively involved in astronomy  (Read 2932 times)

Capt. John

• View Profile
I missed being actively involved in astronomy
« on: May 19, 2010, 08:23:03 pm »
I used to work at the McLaughlin Planetarium in Toronto, Canada. (For a more detailed personal history see this thread http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=277736.0) I loved being part of the astronomical community, if only in an interpretive way. The Planetarium closed (insert long ranting story here). There's been something missing in my life since then. I'm completely new to Galaxy Zoo, but sometimes you can tell right away that someting is a good fit. I think the Zoo will allow me to persue, as avocation, that which used to be my vocation. I always loved the fact that astronomy, the oldest science, is one of the few that still has ample room for citizen scientists. We can't all build particle accelerators or experiment with gene splicing, but anyone can participate here. Kudo's to the pioneers who created such a welcoming and user friendly environment. I love seeing people in the forums doing this with their grandkids. I look forward to getting to know the site, the related projects, and getting to know the Zooites.
Stupidity kills, but not nearly fast enough.

weezerd

• View Profile
Re: I missed being actively involved in astronomy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:00:41 pm »
Welcome John, hope you'll like it here...I know you will!
Oh let me just a moment stay
where time is not and angels play the paeans of the galaxies;
then speed the stardust on its flight
to change dread darkness into light, cold chaos into ecstasy!

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:13:13 pm »
A new recruit? Welcome to the Zooniverse Capt John - glad you found us! :)

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:48:00 am »
As a very part-time mobile planetarium presenter, welcome from me too. I used to live in Ontario and enjoyed my trips to the planetarium in McMaster University.

I give simple red-pointer tours of the night sky.
But the forum widens my horizons as to what is out there.