Author Topic: Hubble: how to tell if an image has been posted already?  (Read 635 times)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Hubble: how to tell if an image has been posted already?
« on: May 20, 2010, 02:04:43 pm »
If the ID is in a post, in thread X say, then searching for that ID starting in that thread will find it.

But when I tried doing that one level up - Galaxy Zoo: Hubble - the search didn't find it.

UPDATE: I tried it again, and it works OK (maybe a timing thing?)

And what to do if only the image is posted, without the ID?

And how can you tell if the really-great-bestest-ever Hubble galaxy you've just found hasn't already been posted somewhere else entirely, like somewhere in Stunning sights! ?

UPDATE: I found the answer, right here in this section  :-[

(sadly, no, I haven't come across such a galaxy, but hope springs eternal ...)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:10:39 pm by JeanTate »

oswego9050

• View Profile
Re: Hubble: how to tell if an image has been posted already?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 12:14:15 pm »
FYI - my experience for optimum use of the search tools (thanks to Blackprojects  ;D)

Using the Search box on the upper right of the screen will search and yield results only for the thread you're currently in.

Using the Search link on the upper left of the screen will search the entire forum for an object if you check the "Check all" box on the lower left of the Search screen.  I always use this Search - saves a lot of time since you can see all of the threads where your target object has already been posted.  I also search only the ID or pic number, rather than the entire picture link.  Searching for the entire link will sometimes produce false results. 

In the case of the Hubble pics, if you right click on any Hubble pic and click on View the Image Info (on a Mac) or look at the Properties, you'll see the image number or link address. 

Hope this helps.  :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:11:29 pm by oswego9050 »
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Carl Sagan