Author Topic: More Information for Hubble Zoo (beta)  (Read 33560 times)

djj

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: More Information for Hubble Zoo (beta)
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2011, 01:20:37 pm »
As I understand it, these strange images of asteroids result from their fairly rapid motion across our line of vision, as compared to the apparently stationary view that we have of the vastly more distant stars and galaxies. The SDSS telescope photographs a galaxy through filters of three different colours in turn, which mix to make a suitable image, but between the second and the third 'snaps' any asteroid that happens to be in the same frame has moved on,  resulting in altogether three different images of it,  in three different colours (red, green and blue).

TreeCounter1

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2011, 04:09:49 am »
I want to second aprilfool that it would be very helpful to have the consensus classifications (and the ranges of classifications) on these galaxies on the more info page.  This would help us recognize the areas where we are going astray.  It would also be very cool to know if we've classified some galaxy for the first time.  I find the forum so extensive, and my time limited, such that I would have a hard time sifting through the thousands of posts in here.  On the other hand, I would like to improve my classifications, and some feedback via the more information page would be a good way to provide that.

LizCollegeStudent

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2011, 08:23:21 pm »

My  question is, I recently had a galaxy that was either absorbing a red giant or already had this star in its outer cloud. It also had another red giant just to its upper left. I didn't know whether to classify as a merger or not or just clumpy. The   galaxy itself was round. While I'm on here here asking questions there are a couple more I should ask. I had a couple with a thick green streak which seemed to have black lines cutting it into segments, what could that have been? I immediately thought astroid but never saw a rock or anything. Also when I'm given a picture with several galaxies how am I to know which one they want classified, I have been assuming its the one closest to the middle, am I right?

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2011, 08:48:04 pm »

My  question is, I recently had a galaxy that was either absorbing a red giant or already had this star in its outer cloud. It also had another red giant just to its upper left. I didn't know whether to classify as a merger or not or just clumpy. The   galaxy itself was round. While I'm on here here asking questions there are a couple more I should ask. I had a couple with a thick green streak which seemed to have black lines cutting it into segments, what could that have been? I immediately thought astroid but never saw a rock or anything. Also when I'm given a picture with several galaxies how am I to know which one they want classified, I have been assuming its the one closest to the middle, am I right?
;D Welcome to the zoo. Yes the one in the center have you seen this thread it may help