Author Topic: More Information for Hubble Zoo (beta)  (Read 33567 times)

Michael Parrish

• View Profile
Re: More Information for Hubble Zoo (beta)
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »
A link to SIMBAD?
A direct link to NED spectra
I would like to use both of those links actually, but many (most?) of the galaxies we're looking at won't have an object name in NED or SIMBAD.  Short of hammering their query services against our entire dataset, I haven't come up with a great way to match into them.  Of course, that may ultimately be the most practical thing to do, though I'd rather avoid it.

I'm currently working on providing a more direct means to access spectra.
I am curious about what everybody prefers for this.  I'm considering:
  • An interactive "image" (non-downloadable) and links to a data file
  • A non-interactive image (downloadable) and links to a data file
  • Suggest stuff!  :)

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 10:22:55 pm »

What?? I can't seem to get my head around how this redshift thing works! u, g, r, i, z? If those are shortest to longest wavelength, is u blue and z red? What do the numbers actually tell me? I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. Can anyone point me to an idiot's guide to redshift?  ???
try the Zooite Guide to  Spectra
http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=274815.0

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 10:27:42 pm »
Hurray! it converts ra, dec from Hours:min to decimal, and back again.  :) I could weep for joy!

Great job!!. It looks wonderful :) :) :)

Suggestions:
A scale (ruler) on the image. I think the images are sometimes different sizes, because the noise pixels are different sizes.

Red (606 nm) should be written in a red colour, to match Near infrared (775 nm)  which is written in blue.

Is declination written as  as d:m:s  ?

I am not comfortable with using Gyr, which I believe means billion years.

If I found a interesting galaxy described in a paper, can I look it up here? using ra and dec, or if I know the ObjId number. Can I navigate?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:57:03 pm by Budgieye »

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:36 am »
Hurray! it converts ra, dec from Hours:min to decimal, and back again.  :) I could weep for joy!

Great job!!. It looks wonderful :) :) :)
I second this!  :)  :D  ;D

Suggestions:
A scale (ruler) on the image. I think the images are sometimes different sizes, because the noise pixels are different sizes.
You took the words right off my keyboard!

I think this is a marvelous suggestion.

swengineer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 12:42:07 am »
Is there anyway to translate the "old" object IDs into the new ones?

For the sake of all of the information shared using the old ids, I've set it up to also accept those in the url.
For instance, 90023363 can be accessed at http://www.galaxyzoo.org/examine/90023363 which serves up AHZ40003tz.

I'll admit we were hesitant to do this, since we don't really want people feel it's necessary to use extra information for classification.  So just check up on the galaxy after you classify it.  :)

Have no fear.  I don't intend to research before classifying. (I can't anyway that I know of since neither the (i.e.) 90023363 or AHZ40003tz tags are made available until post classifying an object. <edit: oops... I just figured out how to get the 90023363 id 'prematurely'.  None the less, I still promise not to 'cheat'.> 
Here's my modus operandi:  http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=277823.msg470077#msg470077
Your new 'examine' interface has been hugely informative and fun.  Thanks for doing it and working to make it better!

So now that I'm better informed, I can ask for this improvement:
Is there any way for you to link to the GOODS images for the "GEM and GOODS-S" survey like you have been able to do for GOODS-N ??

Regards,

-Mark
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:48:13 am by swengineer »

Michael Parrish

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 03:14:21 am »
Suggestions:

Red (606 nm) should be written in a red colour, to match Near infrared (775 nm)  which is written in blue.

Is declination written as  as d:m:s  ?

I am not comfortable with using Gyr, which I believe means billion years.

If I found a interesting galaxy described in a paper, can I look it up here? using ra and dec, or if I know the ObjId number. Can I navigate?
  • I'll put that on my list.  I sorted out the cutout sizes recently, so we're already storing that information.
  • The wavelength colors are just white and blue at the moment (blue for link).  We could color code though.
  • d:m:s is just an abbreviation for degrees:minutes:seconds.
  • yep.  G for giga.  In retrospect, I agree with you.
  • Right now, we're just referencing individual galaxies.  That's not to say we won't expose a query service in the future

Is there any way for you to link to the GOODS images for the "GEM and GOODS-S" survey like you have been able to do for GOODS-N ??
There is this: http://archive.stsci.edu/prepds/gems/browser.html.  Though, the closest I can get to linking to a galaxy directly is to the tile page like: http://archive.stsci.edu/prepds/gems/goodstile04.html
I'd like to provide more info for them soon.

paulrogers

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 06:29:02 am »
First, count me a one of the joyous that it automagically converts coordinates--or would be if you were using Java functions my Java Runtime Environment would handle without error.

I don't take away a spectrum for my own processing.  My uses were superficial, and sometimes varied, but I did miss them a lot.  I used them in SDSS first to get the distance, z, which you're now giving us directly.  Other than that, I was looking for relative heights of peaks, e.g. OII, and sometimes the width of the Ha suggested QSO's.  With QSO's and the like, sometimes that would be identified with the z at the bottom.  I'd be happy with #1.

oswego9050

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 11:05:15 am »
Hi Michael - please note that the galaxy link in this post takes you to my "My Galaxies" page rather than the information page it should link to. 

Thanks.   :)

NEVER MIND - I just noticed that the semi-colon I was placing between the ID numbers was incorporated in the galaxy link.   :-[ ;D

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:13:40 am by oswego9050 »
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Carl Sagan

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 01:06:20 pm »
Suggestion that is not important, but nice--
Can we have the option to spin the Hubble picture so that north is at the top?
The mental gymnastics of comparing Hubble images with others is sometimes too much for my little mind.

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 07:18:39 pm »
How can we post a spectral chart eg from AEGIS on the forum?

Michael Parrish

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 09:06:06 pm »
Just a few updates:
  • "Gyr" is now "Billion years"
  • I've added a scale tool that will be live whenever the next set of updates goes through.  I still haven't built the data for the SDSS galaxies yet though.
  • I've also put up a rough prototype of the interactive spectrum viewer.  You can check it out at: http://spectral.heroku.com/
(Worth noting: I still haven't figured out AEGIS's negative value notation, but that's what the example came from)

How can we post a spectral chart eg from AEGIS on the forum?
If we did decide to use something like this, it would be built into the examine page.  Of course, this isn't set in stone at all.

Can we have the option to spin the Hubble picture so that north is at the top?
I'll look into it and get back to you.

lpspieler

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 08:02:17 pm »
I've also put up a rough prototype of the interactive spectrum viewer.  You can check it out at: http://spectral.heroku.com/

I like it but a possibility to zoom out again would be nice (like dragging the mouse while pressing Shift)

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 11:12:30 pm »
First of all great work.
Secondly working on the extraction data from overlapping thread I found that some Survey Reference doesn't work
Here a few examples:

Michael Parrish

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 12:41:01 am »
Here a few examples:
Hmm... Where did those IDs come from?  The only one that looks like the IDs in the new data set is the last one (It's the AEGIS format, but not in our set).

paulrogers

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 12:58:12 am »
I've also put up a rough prototype of the interactive spectrum viewer.  You can check it out at: http://spectral.heroku.com/

FWIW, that imaging works for me.  It looks very strange to me, but I can see it.