Author Topic: Suggest a target for spectra!  (Read 16122 times)

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
Re: Suggest a target for spectra!
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2010, 07:30:23 am »
The literature points some interesting QSO/ DLA's and among them it seems that one well known QSO enters your specified observing sky but outside the SDSS survey:

Object name PKS 2135-147 resolved by Simbad (via SANTA) to 6dFGS gJ213745.2-143256 (Seyfert_1 )
RA: 21 37 45.24 Dec: -14 32 55.39 (J2000)

I found one spectrum from mastpreview only in the RANGE ~1600 - ~3200 A .
http://archive.stsci.edu/xcorr.php
http://archive.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/mastpreview?mission=hst&dataid=O65631010
http://archive.stsci.edu/load_specview.php?name=stis/o65631010_x1d_vo.fits

Is there an opportunity to complete the spectrum (if not already done ) in your settings range 3300-5700?

Thanks
c_cld

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2010, 09:59:37 am »
We're now on our last object before closing down in morning twilight and heading to the airport. From Zooite suggestions, we have done:

Aida's green wisp.

A bright high-redshift quasar pointed out by c_cld, with prominent absorption in the Lyman-alpha forest. There was a special resonance (at least Eigenstate will laugh at that) in observing the Lyman alpha forest here - this telescope was used by Roger Lynds and Alan Stockton in the late 1960s for key observations in the discovery of this phenomenon.

A red/blue binary star pair suggested by graham d.

The extremely blue companion to Markarian 490, pointed out by Rick Nowell.

(It turned out that an additional favorite mentioned by stellar190 was already on our observing list!)

We'll post the data once we have processing and calibrations complete.

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2010, 11:38:57 am »
Sweet: it does look bigger than the galaxy nearby- except it might not be nearby!

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2010, 01:14:11 pm »
We're now on our last object before closing down in morning twilight and heading to the airport. From Zooite suggestions, we have done:

Aida's green wisp.

A bright high-redshift quasar pointed out by c_cld, with prominent absorption in the Lyman-alpha forest. There was a special resonance (at least Eigenstate will laugh at that) in observing the Lyman alpha forest here - this telescope was used by Roger Lynds and Alan Stockton in the late 1960s for key observations in the discovery of this phenomenon.

A red/blue binary star pair suggested by graham d.

(It turned out that an additional favorite mentioned by stellar190 was already on our observing list!)

We'll post the data once we have processing and calibrations complete.

Thank you from an amateur by my reading idea; With this reading habit, i've the other suggestion for the next edition of your book (sort of resonance between astronomers, not on the spectrum side) to add with Fig5.10 of Roger Lynds (page 139)  a revised one of W.C. Keel in the same Mayall telescope. You'll have I hope more readers.
Thanks
c_cld

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2010, 02:16:09 pm »
A shining example of international cooperation between the professional scientists and their amateur enthusiasts.
Superb diary on Galaxy Blogs-
http://blogs.zooniverse.org/galaxyzoo/2010/06/20/operations-at-kitt-peak/
Congratulations from your enthusiasts :) :) :)

Tsering

• OotD posters
  • Runs on Rooibos
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2010, 05:43:57 pm »
Woohoo! Fantastic  :)
Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2010, 06:44:45 pm »
Greetings,

Please indulge me as I offer a personal sentiment.  It seems appropriate here.

I am well familiar with the academic community.  It is a community that is overly prone to arrogance, self-absorption, a sense of entitlement, and a willingness to exploit subordinates.  Most are but mediocre pedants.  Rarely one encounters an academic who combines scholarship with humility and a true sense of humanity.

Here at this forum, we are fortunate indeed to have one of those rare finds among us.

Ours is the one who has kept the faith with the volunteers as we wander the skies in quest of knowledge and understanding.  Ours is the one who tirelessly answers our questions, be they naïve or complex, with tolerance and grace.  Ours is the one who guides and mentors; who treats us with dignity and respect; who encourages us to strive ahead.

For all of that and more, I thank you Professor K.

Best regards,
EigenState

mitch

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2010, 08:28:04 pm »
Greetings,

Please indulge me as I offer a personal sentiment.  It seems appropriate here.

I am well familiar with the academic community.  It is a community that is overly prone to arrogance, self-absorption, a sense of entitlement, and a willingness to exploit subordinates.  Most are but mediocre pedants.  Rarely one encounters an academic who combines scholarship with humility and a true sense of humanity.

Here at this forum, we are fortunate indeed to have one of those rare finds among us.

Ours is the one who has kept the faith with the volunteers as we wander the skies in quest of knowledge and understanding.  Ours is the one who tirelessly answers our questions, be they naïve or complex, with tolerance and grace.  Ours is the one who guides and mentors; who treats us with dignity and respect; who encourages us to strive ahead.

For all of that and more, I thank you Professor K.

Best regards,
EigenState

Very well said E.S. - Couldn't agree with you more

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2010, 09:59:23 pm »
Hear hear Eigen! :), sounds like a saint, but I think Bill deserves a modest mention too.

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2010, 10:46:03 pm »
Hear hear Eigen! :), sounds like a saint, but I think Bill deserves a modest mention too.
You call him Bill.  Being more formal, I call him Professor K.   8)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2010, 11:15:01 pm »
Very well said ES! We are so fortunate to have Bill here, as well as the other zookeepers who believed in us amateurs in the first place! There can be no better way to really get people into science than this. I just wish I had more time to make contributions myself!

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2010, 09:31:53 am »
 :) :) :) My sarcasm knows no bounds.

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2010, 12:11:43 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree with the thumbs-up for Professor Keel. Having met with him briefly in Greenwich last year,
I can testify as to his genuine enthusiasm for Galaxy Zoo. We are exceptionally lucky to have an astronomer of his
calibre and experience; able to knock out a few spectra from Kitt Peak Observatory for amateurs such as myself.

Besides, he & I have both been banned from the Galaxy Zoo Forum at different times, so we share something in common.

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2010, 07:30:29 pm »
Shock horror - why have I been singled out for never having been banned. I sympathise greatly and have never understood why moderators or administrators never stand for re-election. It's not democratic- whatever that means. It only worked in Athens for 50 years and after Pericles it was downhill for the country ever after.

I've met William too and praised him on the other forum to excess. He must be chortling away. Attaguy Bill :) ROFL. Can we get an even bigger scope? ???