Author Topic: Suggestions for Hubble Zoo tutorials  (Read 12970 times)

PeterD

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Hubble Zoo tutorials
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 07:14:43 pm »
It is my impression that we need to write some help for each other on:
- What to do with very faint/fuzzy images
-
On a very fuzzy images can apply a transform (numerical  fast fourier transform ) for made one clear .
We have an old expression, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."  An FFT or convolution makes presumptions about the nature of the original object.  What we would see is more about the mathematics than the object.

It's absolutely right that you can't make something out of nothing, but it is possible to remove a lot of the crud in an image without doing too much damage. What about straightforward noise filters rather than FFTs; a convolution with a low-pass smoothing filter, some form of anisotropic noise reduction, perhaps chromatic noise reduction might be worthwhile. The base question is how much information are we prepared to loose from the image.

Still, just my 2p,

Peter

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 09:24:06 pm »
It is my impression that we need to write some help for each other on:
- What to do with very faint/fuzzy images
-
On a very fuzzy images can apply a transform (numerical  fast fourier transform ) for made one clear .
We have an old expression, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."  An FFT or convolution makes presumptions about the nature of the original object.  What we would see is more about the mathematics than the object.

It's absolutely right that you can't make something out of nothing, but it is possible to remove a lot of the crud in an image without doing too much damage. What about straightforward noise filters rather than FFTs; a convolution with a low-pass smoothing filter, some form of anisotropic noise reduction, perhaps chromatic noise reduction might be worthwhile. The base question is how much information are we prepared to loose from the image.

Still, just my 2p,

Peter

I can't understand your discussion on Alice question faint/fuzzy images. All the transformations you talked about are not done on color blended images, only for art coloring but not analyzing!
SDSS or HST all have  their process pipeline with a heavy cookbook by each filter.

What would be best for us is to see the gray-scale already corrected images in the two/three/five filters, like we have little thumbnails in GOODS-Spitzer images, or in FITS files (it can't be ante classifying :-[  ).
The human eye is more adaptable to different shows than a median automatic process: that's the GZ project!

Sure the GZ quizz answers will be as "fuzzy" as objects: zookeepers will have to do some sort of PCA if you want to talk  mathematical language.

c_cld

mecurtin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 12:36:58 am »
I think the most important thing is to have a topmost-level folder named "Newbies Report Here", like the one on moonzoo. http://forum.moonzoo.org/index.php?board=2.0
mecurtin

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 05:33:36 pm »
I like this idea, though I'm reluctant to suggest yet another new board in an already pretty big forum! Maybe we need a bit of a reshuffle, which I haven't the tools to do myself . . . What does anyone else think?

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 06:42:32 am »
Sounds great!

And we'll have a tick box, like when you want to use a piece of software.

I agree that I have at least glanced at "Forum Help and Guidelines" and skimmed through "Astronomy at Galaxy Zoo" and that my first post will be on "Newbies, Report Here", and that I will not post a picture of a satellite trail asking "What's this?"

□    Agree
□    Don't Agree

Then the rest of the forum becomes postable.

:D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:49:29 am by Budgieye »

pete 53

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:38 am »
As I am still farily new and have made my fair share of blunders, Might it help us novises, if a Photo gallary were set up in one thred, to show us what things look like (That is if it dose not all redy exist.) For exsample the reson I found this is I am looking for a thread that can tell me weather I have a Nova or not in one of my galaxys, and I do not whant to bother any of the regulers who must get realy hacked off by repetedly replying to the same old questions. And I bet I'v done that a few times as well (Sorry every one) And I agree with Budgeye it should be set up so that we all have to read at least a basic intro telling us where to look, and what NOT to post as a WOW object. (again I have done this, but I don't think I have done a star or satalite, to obveus) ;D So I will take this opertunaty to say Thank for all your Help

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »
Hi Pete, is this the kind of thing you have in mind?

pete 53

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 12:16:06 pm »
Hi Pete, is this the kind of thing you have in mind?
Exactly that, but I bet there's room for more, Its like the one I was trying to find out (its posted now) A bright glare just inside a Galaxy, Nova or not

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 07:07:01 am »
I was thinking of something like that too (and did 30 minutes work on it)
A picture index of everything! starting with the satellite trails
galaxies in the middle
brown dwarfs at the end.

And not located in "Astronomy in Galaxy Zoo" where it gets ignored, and it is hard to edit.

It is probably 100-150 hours of work.
Clickable pictures would be nice.

I'd LOVE to do it! except that really, I am behind with my stuff at work, and the house really needs a re-organizing. An index would be more fun.
Anybody around with a hundred hours to spare?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:25:35 am by Budgieye »

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 07:18:45 am »
10 most common mistakes

satellite trails
star artifacts: rays, overexposed centres of stars
is this a supernova
black holes
cosmic rays (that is what I did as a Newbie)
discontinuity when photos have been stitched together
             umm....
not posting the AHZ..  number
double posting
how to post a picture

Jules's WOW WHAT'S THAT could be used to start with, but it needs updating.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:23:57 am by Budgieye »

pete 53

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »
If I had the computer skills. I would have the time (Retierd) but comperd to the computer I'm a fosail. and a dyslexic one, at that.
 The way I thought it could work is simaler to how we classify, = is it. Red, Green, Blue, Other.
 Is it. Round, Oval, A line....
That type of thing. I think you can see how it would work with out me insulting your intelagence.
 The only other way I can see it working, with out editing every 5 mins, is a click index. Have a list of things that would give a rough example of what you have (coluor or shape ect) click on it and you are sent to a range of pics with all the pos choses. Or is this to much for this systum?