Author Topic: IPhone / Android app  (Read 3851 times)

MadViper

• View Profile
IPhone / Android app
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:13:32 am »
Has anyone thought about creating a mobile app for this. I know the screens are MUCH smaller but I think it would allow for more data processing. Just an idea, can I can some other peoples thoughts on this?

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
Re: IPhone / Android app
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:02:03 am »
Hi MadViper and welcome to the Zoo.

There is a Galaxy Zoo app (free) available for the iPhone - go to the App store in iTunes and search for Galaxy Zoo!

Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:08:10 am »
Ha thanks for the reminder - shall look it up too (when I have my new but broken iPhone4 back in 2-3 weeks that is..) ;)

mogli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »
hi

and android apps?

Arfon

• Administrator
    • View Profile

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:49:04 am »
I am unable to log on to the zoo using the android app. Any suggestions?
Counting stars by candlelight, some are dim but one is bright.

leeroychang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:08:51 pm »
Hello, Karma,

I guess you are using a phone that automatically puts capital letters to start text boxes?  The passwords are case sensitive so make sure you don't put a capital letter at the beginning of your password.  I hope this helps, if this was very obvious to you then you are smarter that I!! took me a good couple of hours to work it out!!

All the best

JLConawayII

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 11:51:16 pm »
I have the android app on my phone.  I would not recommend using it, unless you aren't going to have access to a computer for an extended period.  You lose a lot of detail with the small screen, and can easily miss important things.  I doubt Hanny would have ever found her voorwerp if she were analyzing on a smartphone.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:54:23 pm by JLConawayII »

mogli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 03:48:48 pm »
android app
hello

I missing a zoom funktion
can be seen often not much on display

pluk

• serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:03:30 am »
Playing around with a shiny new smartphone, I found and installed this app. Does anyone know what the "fit" button is supposed to do? I expected it to zoom the image to fullscreen size as it is rather small as-is, but that does not happen. Any other effect for it I haven't noticed either. If it matters, this is android 4.0.4.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:01:56 pm by pluk »
We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run. - Roy Amara, engineer, futurist (b. 1925)

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 01:02:57 pm »
I was given a new Toshiba Thrive tablet by Bristol City Council as part of an E.U. funded environmental project.
It runs Android v3.1 (Honeycomb) using a 10-inch (25cm) capacitive screen, much like a smart phone. GZ Hubble
seemed to work ok, but the colours are somewhat dull. The Green Peas look more blanched than on a similar
laptop. At some point this becomes a product review rather than feedback, but it is a novel experience using such
a big touchscreen. I keep starting to touch my laptop screen, only to realise its not the tablet!

I remember putting together a NASA APOD on a laptop bought around 2005 for GZ, convinced that all the joins
were invisible. Seeing that picture half-a-decade later on the latest Mac desktop, the joins were very noticeable!

How are GZ classifications effected by screen technology? Would an experienced individual classify each galaxy
the same whichever screen they used? Probably not! Is there a 'technology bias' that makes some classifications
more reliable than others?

Anyway, the tablet is a very nice freebie...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:26:20 pm by Rick Nowell »