Author Topic: Student Science Fair Project  (Read 2845 times)

stargazer1296

• View Profile
Student Science Fair Project
« on: November 06, 2010, 10:34:34 pm »
Hi,

I am mentoring a student for a local science fair (high school/middle school).  The student has classified over 400 galaxies thus far for Galaxy Zoo.  Would there be any way to use this for a science fair project?   The student would need to come up with a hypothesis about galaxies and then test the hypothesis/ analyze the data from the 400 galaxies they've studied.  Would this be possible?  Or, can anyone suggest other science fair project ideas with publicly available Hubble or SLDS images?

Thank you!   

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: Student Science Fair Project
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:43:13 pm »
Greetings,

Hi,

I am mentoring a student for a local science fair (high school/middle school).  The student has classified over 400 galaxies thus far for Galaxy Zoo.  Would there be any way to use this for a science fair project?   The student would need to come up with a hypothesis about galaxies and then test the hypothesis/ analyze the data from the 400 galaxies they've studied.  Would this be possible?  Or, can anyone suggest other science fair project ideas with publicly available Hubble or SLDS images?

Thank you!   

Having been a judge of such science fairs, I would say, without reservation I might add, that it is the sole responsibility of the student entrant to come up with their own idea for a project.  After all, that is the point.  The idea first, and then the execution of that idea--both by the student without assistance.

Best regards,
EigenState

stargazer1296

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:56:55 am »
Excellent point, thanks for clarifying that.

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:15:02 pm »
Greetings,

Were I to be mentoring such a student, I would focus my contributions on challenging the student's thinking.  Push the student to carefully examine questions such as "What is the significance of your idea?  What does it contribute to the existing body of knowledge?  What theory does it test?"   There are many others depending upon the individual student and their specific idea for a project.  But the objective remains the same in all cases:  induce the student to objectively scrutinize their own thinking.

Stimulating the student to critically analyze their own thinking is a major contribution, and one that may--indeed should--have long term benefits well beyond one science fair.

Best regards,
EigenState

OrionDobsonian101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:17:06 pm »
Hi,

Thank you!   

If you need any help with your child's project, contact me. (Orion101) Send me a message.