Author Topic: Happy Birthday Merger Zoo!  (Read 1321 times)

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
Happy Birthday Merger Zoo!
« on: November 24, 2010, 11:03:23 am »
Happy Birthday Merger Zoo. 1 Year Today!

This message was tweeted today by @GalaxyZooMerger

Merger Zoo

Have a cosmic day!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:08:02 am by echo-lily-mai »

Art does not reproduce the visible....  Paul Klee

aholinch

• View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday Merger Zoo!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 02:09:42 pm »
Just to follow up on the tweet, and all of my typos aside ;), YOUR help is much appreciated. 

In the first year you, the Citizen Scientists, have viewed more than 2.37 million merger simulations.  Out of those, over 36 000 were selected as potential matches to their respective targets.  You have spent a cumulative total of 12.5 million seconds running the Merger Applet.

We expect to start publishing the results soon (yes, you've heard that before).  There will be some more changes to the site as well (I promise this is not a broken record). 

One recurring theme across the Zooniverse projects is that, despite the best plans, the tremendous response from the volunteers always exceeds expectations.  So what may start out as an adequate approach for digesting the science results often turns out to be insufficient.  In order to adapt on this project, we added the Merger Wars activity.  Since its introduction, there have been more than 250 000 head-to-head match ups between simulation results.  Each comparison helps us to decide which result is possibly closer to the ideal match to the target image. 

These results in particular have caused us to shift the priority of some of our research goals.  We started with the assumption that Citizen Scientists are better at evaluating merger simulation results than current automated methods.  People do better than machines.  The work done so far seems to show this to be true, again for current methods.  However, with the quarter million comparisons generated so far, we feel we may be able to train an algorithm that can compete with all of us.  We had hoped to gain an insight like this, but the timing of it was somewhat unexpected.

Just one of many directions our research has taken in response to all of your wonderful work.

Again, thank you, thank you!   ;D

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 05:34:08 pm »
Happy birthday Merger Zoo !  ;D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:40:05 pm »
Happy birthday Mergers! So happy that the wonderful Echo Lily Mai is the Mergers Mod and can keep everything here up to date ;D

Quialiss

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:09:51 am »
Those are some pretty crazy numbers!  They're so big I had some trouble wrapping my head around them, so I went to go see how many hours we'd spent, instead of seconds.  Well, that's 3,472, still a huge number that my brain can't quite figure out how long that REALLY is.  How about days? 

We have spent, collectively, 145 days running merger simulations.  145 days, 24 hours a day.  Putting it another way, we've put over one and a half years of work into the simulator, based on 40 hour work weeks, 52 weeks a year.  Looking at the other numbers, we select roughly one out of every 66 simulations as being a match, and we spend an average of 42 seconds looking at each 8 simulations.  Okay, that last one doesn't seem right.  We probably spend much less time on average looking through simulations in explore, and much more fiddling away in enhance.  I know I do.  ;D

Those are some pretty amazing numbers,  thank you aholinch!  I'm going to go add to that to those and see if I can't figure out Arp 146 :D

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:16:40 pm »
Put like that the numbers are even more amazing !
Thanks Quia  :D

lpspieler

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:27:41 pm »
Happy Birthday from me too! ;D :o ;D

And thanks for the numbers! And looking forward to the next developments and the results!

cheers