Author Topic: 500 potentials viewed but nothing even remotely like.  (Read 1500 times)

Musicmac

• Tiny bit of info: network design, consultancy, test etc. Primary focus satcomms and internet (s/w platform testing etc). 30 Yrs exp Blue Chip Consultancy.
    • View Profile
500 potentials viewed but nothing even remotely like.
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:31:51 am »
I'm sure I am not expected to keep going on page by page all night to find something that resembles a hollow doughnut with a two arm galaxy below and to the left? - I suspect this is either a test or just not normal. I don't seem to have any way of identifying it either by name/number or anything else.  I can't select and cut or save the image onscreen.

I suspect you'll have to find out what it is.

Is worth noting that a lot of XP systems [IE 8] will not work with recent java - or rather they will, but as long as the installation check is bypassed. Java is there, but not recognised as being installed (even though up to date eg now 6.22).

I have to do this from windows 7 although I don't like it.

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
Re: 500 potentials viewed but nothing even remotely like.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 10:16:54 am »
Hi Musicmac  :)

I know what you mean there is no way of easily posting the image/sim to the forum without doing a screen grab. Also there is no way to copy and paste the galaxy ref at present. These would be nice features.

Are you working on SDSS ID: 587747120521216156 ?

Some mergers definitely seem easier to merge than others. I just checked out 587747120521216156 this morning to see if there were any problems. I looked at/explored 150 sims before I saw one that looked like it would be a good one to enhance.

How are you finding the other merger options? The icons in the top left will give you an option to select another target.

For all the technical stuff really you need to talk to aholinch I’m sure he will help.

Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

Art does not reproduce the visible....  Paul Klee

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 06:57:34 pm »
Hi musicman,
yes, this is not an easy one. I get a reasonable one for this merger every 200 (give or take a few sims).
Keep up the good work though !   :D

Musicmac

• Tiny bit of info: network design, consultancy, test etc. Primary focus satcomms and internet (s/w platform testing etc). 30 Yrs exp Blue Chip Consultancy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 02:35:24 am »
Thanks for that lily... Yes it was that one. Couldn't see even reasonable fit in the images presented. Never mind - will give another go. I don't get to this often as it won't work with usual boot. Thanks for the following comment as well, glad to know I wasn't the only one having to take time with that one lol. Perhaps it was a shame that was my first potential merger lol :-)

Just a thought. Why do you not use CUDA?

Kindest, Dave.

aholinch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 03:51:20 am »

Just a thought. Why do you not use CUDA?

Kindest, Dave.

Dave, thank you for your persistence.

I'm sorry the rate of interesting results is a little low for this target.  I know in the past when that happens for me, I look for a simulation that matches only one or two key features of the image.  For example, the disk sizes are approximately correct, but nothing else might match.  From there though, I'll give it a go in Enhance to see if I can then make a good match.  Also, if any particular target gets to feel tedious, you can click the target button in the upper left and try out some of the previous options.

As far as CUDA, we've used it within our research group, where we can guarantee the appropriate graphics cards and drivers are installed.  This particular simulation code hasn't been ported to a CUDA implementation yet (though we can run it in C, Fortran, and Java).  For now the applet is a bit easier to get working on a wider variety of platforms.  Java is by no means on 100% of computers, but more platforms support it than CUDA right now.  It's a great toolkit and we plan to use it for other projects and possibly at a later stage in this research.

Musicmac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 01:02:16 am »
Thanx 4 that. reply appreciated.

Not that it of any real interest 2 anyone, but my heating broke, and CUDA at least is doing something useful while generating a nice bit of heat lol  :) I use two SLI cuda enabled cards and although they are running in 13 degrees C ambient, will warm up to 60+ when busy. The electric cost is nothing compared to the warmth lol :-) - at least they are productive.

Regards, Dave.