Author Topic: Waveneys PhD Blog  (Read 20852 times)

nilium

• View Profile
Re: Waveneys PhD Blog
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 05:19:44 pm »

Hi waveney,

It is a pleasure to help you in your search....
 :)

waveney

• Irregular Galaxy Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 12:21:46 pm »
4 Days to the interview.

700 clicks needed...
Join the Irregular Classifiers
We all help at the cutting edge of ignorance.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 02:58:23 pm »
Ooooh, I am in a desperately boring community meeting all day on Friday 4th. I'll be having some news to look forward to then! ;D

waveney

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 10:28:08 pm »
Well I have been to the OU for the formal meetings.

I had one meeting with Andy Norton who is the lead tutor of the unit I am doing, we spent some time talking about cloud sourcing and methods to extract data from large data sets.  He commented on the glowing reference I had from Bill.  Thanks Bill.

Then I had another meeting with Stephen Serjeant (and one of his post docs and a silent proffessor) which could have lasted 6 hours but after 30 minutes the next candidate had an interview.  I talked lots, gave sensible answers to questions (I hope).  I should here from them again in a few weeks.

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 11:18:34 pm »
Thanks for the update - keeping everything crossed!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 03:17:12 pm »
It will be a long few weeks waiting for the answer! :o It sounds like an amazing day though ;D

waveney

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 07:42:43 pm »
One other thing came up during the meetings - Supervisors.

For part time PhDs they normally try and have two supervisors per student.   One at the OU itself and one "near" the student, normally from the nearest appropriate University.  This gives you access to two sets of ears and helps continuity should either move on.  The one at the OU is Stephen.   Andy Norton thought it might be best for my other one to be linked to the Zoo, rather than the nearest appropriate University (Southampton).    Which is means either Oxford (90 minutes driving) or more likely Portsmouth (An Hour(ish)).   I wonder who...  ;)

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 06:03:48 am »
Hmmm....

klmasters

• Astronomers
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 10:58:42 am »
Waveney,
 I just wanted to say that I can't promise anything at this stage, but if you'd like to come to Portsmouth and talk to Bob, Edd and me about your project we'd love to have you visit. Send me a direct message (or get Alice to tell you my email) and we'll set it up.

Do you have a formal proposal or anything we could see? I presume you must have sent something to OU?

Have you heard back from Steve etc at OU yet? Might be worth prodding them if not.

Karen.

waveney

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 11:32:37 am »
Waveney,
 I just wanted to say that I can't promise anything at this stage, but if you'd like to come to Portsmouth and talk to Bob, Edd and me about your project we'd love to have you visit. Send me a direct message (or get Alice to tell you my email) and we'll set it up.

Do you have a formal proposal or anything we could see? I presume you must have sent something to OU?

Have you heard back from Steve etc at OU yet? Might be worth prodding them if not.

Karen.

I will send you a PM.

Yes I have a formal proposal, and quite a few results awaiting formatting into a paper or two.

I haven't heard back yet - the timetable for the formal offer is a little vague, but I am not worried at the moment.

waveney

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 03:08:27 pm »
Lets bring this blog up to date (I can take a hint).  I am now at the half way point in the OU third year unit called "The Relativistic Universe", I have to pass this as a prerequisit for the PhD.

So far I have covered Special and General Relativity, Black Holes and Accretion discs (around stars), I am about go on the SMBHs and GRBs.  This so far has been stretching me, but I don't mind.  There are some bits of maths I haven't touched for a long time, matracies - I did these a little in my first year at university, but not since (used more in the last 4 months than I have ever done).   Vectors - again not touched since my first year at university - but not as important or as rusty.  Calculus - I have done a little (integration) over the last 20 years but not a lot again its rusty.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 01:38:55 pm »
Hi Waveney, I've suggested to a fellow press person here at the AAS meeting that she should talk to you about citizen science. I'm presuming that's all right ;D ;D

waveney

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 03:10:05 pm »
Of course.   

(That is the second request in a week - the other came from Kevin...)

(( The furthest supernova are not going away as fast as they would today - to follow up on another posting in the cafe))

waveney

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »
I have just recieved the email saying the formal registration documents are in the post to me.  In the way the OU operates it is months since I heard anything, but they want the registration documents back signed next week...

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 07:51:11 pm »
I have just recieved the email saying the formal registration documents are in the post to me.  In the way the OU operates it is months since I heard anything, but they want the registration documents back signed next week...

Awesome, congrats!