Author Topic: Paper with overlapping-galaxy catalog submitted!  (Read 10681 times)

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Paper with overlapping-galaxy catalog submitted!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 01:13:15 pm »
It's all my fault at the moment - still awaiting the time to do the revisions (or adequately explain to the editor why some suggested ones don't make much sense). This must be done by the end of July due to journal deadlines, and my summer class finishes up at the end of June.

I am also pleased to say that, on June 14, Anna Manning will be defending her master's thesis on using the GZ overlap sample to not only map dust in more galaxies, but extend the results to ultraviolet extinction using the GALEX satellite survey. This is a key step toward a long-term goal of comparing dust measures from GZ-classic and Hubble Zoo overlapping samples, to trace dust across cosmic time with a single technique.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 03:02:18 pm »
Ooooooh. All the best to you with the paper, to Anna in her thesis defence (that wording makes it sound SO scary :o), and to the science of overlapping galaxies ;D

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 05:02:21 pm »
Ooooooh. All the best to you with the paper, to Anna in her thesis defence (that wording makes it sound SO scary :o),

Not nearly as intimidating as it is in Leiden, where admission to the event is by ticket, the committee members sit at a table in academic regalia and male candidates not only are in formal wear (tie and tails), but have a "second" similarly attired. (I keep wondering whether it's like a duel and they have to keep going if the candidate is felled by a question). They do it in a hall in the 17th-century Academiegebouw, filled with oil portraits of famous former Leiden faculty (these tend to be people that laws and principles are named for - Boerhaave, Snellius, de Sitter... probably Oort and van de Hulst by now as well).

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 01:20:39 pm »
Some posts which belong here:

* has this been up for long?

Yes...
Actually, though, the list of  of Zooites  was added only at the revised submission, since the journal editor thought it was too long for an ordinary acknowledgement paragraph.

Perhaps this might be a good time to make the acknowledgement a bit more public?

As far I could tell, from doing a quick search, there's nothing in the forum announcing either the paper (still not public, of course) nor the online catalog.  :o In fact, the most recent thing I could find is Bill's Dust in the Zoo – chapters opening, continuing, and closing blog, dated 4 May, 2010:o :o

Quote from: from the blog
Our working list now contains about 2187 pairs (there may still be a few double entries to weed out before giving an exact value). We’re well into preparation of this catalog for publication, after refining it to remove pairs with evidence of interaction, or where the background galaxy is so small or distant as to backlight only a tiny region of the foreground galaxy. (We’ll retain these in a complete electronic version with appropriate codes).
Quote from: from the data page
The resulting catalog of 1991 galaxy pairs is available ...
There is a similar file for candidate pairs which were rejected for the final list, because of evidence for interaction, unfavorable overlap geometry, or for having redshifts the wrong way around for dust backlighting: OverlapRejects.pdf and a matching Javascript catalog for them: discard.html
This reject list has 239 entries, making 2130 pairs in all.  8)

I wonder how many of these are triple (or more) overlaps? Like SDSS J081937.05+160107.9 (DR7 ObjId 587741532766208411), for example:

Actually, there was an announcement on the forum:
"Paper with overlapping-galaxy catalog submitted!", January 26, 2011: 
http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=278849.0
Actually, there was an announcement on the forum:
"Paper with overlapping-galaxy catalog submitted!", January 26, 2011: 
http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=278849.0
Thanks!

I too must have seen it, but for some reason I'd completely forgotten about it (and couldn't find it using Search).  :'(

Anyway, now that specific zooites have been named - some 250 of them! - I think it's appropriate that we acknowledge them more publicly than just in a list on a page that's mostly intended as a place to download (or view) data.

Oops!  :-[

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10:33 am »
OOTD, Saturday, 14th January, 2012: "A Toast to the Overlap Zooites":
http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=279829.0

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 06:18:06 pm »
I wonder, what is given in the catalog as the biggest redshift difference between an overlapping GPair?

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »
I wonder, what is given in the catalog as the biggest redshift difference between an overlapping GPair?

It seems to be delta z = 0.376 for SDSS J125525.88+265647.5. I found that quickly by using Anna Manning's JavaScript version of the catalog, sorting on second redshift, and looking at the entries at the bottom of the list. Such large redshift differences aren't always useful - if the foreground galaxy appears too large, the background galaxy will run the risk of being completely hidden by a dust lane or accidentally shining through a gap in the dust. Single background galaxies at such high z only get into the catalog if they are in a location behind the foreground galaxy which is especially interesting (right at the edge of the disk or halfway behind an arm), or if the foreground galaxy is fairly small in angular size. Otherwise, such distant background objects are best treated statistically according to the whole population seen behind a nearby galaxy (as Benne Holwerda and colleagues have worked on).

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 10:09:47 pm »

It seems to be delta z = 0.376 for SDSS J125525.88+265647.5. I found that quickly by using Anna Manning's JavaScript version of the catalog, sorting on second redshift, and looking at the entries at the bottom of the list. Such large redshift differences aren't always useful - if the foreground galaxy appears too large, the background galaxy will run the risk of being completely hidden by a dust lane or accidentally shining through a gap in the dust. Single background galaxies at such high z only get into the catalog if they are in a location behind the foreground galaxy which is especially interesting (right at the edge of the disk or halfway behind an arm), or if the foreground galaxy is fairly small in angular size. Otherwise, such distant background objects are best treated statistically according to the whole population seen behind a nearby galaxy (as Benne Holwerda and colleagues have worked on).

Here's the background galaxy, SDSS J125525.61+265648.2 DR7 ObjId 587741601498661009:

The DR7 spectroscopic pipeline gives its z (0.4457) a confidence of 0.98, but the spectrum seems rather odd to my untrained, thoroughly unprofessional eye:

However, there are several other yellowish-red blobs about, at least one of which has a photo-z (0.447) consistent with the spectroscopic z of this galaxy; perhaps the foreground galaxy (fg) lies over the center of a distant, rich cluster of galaxies? If so, it might be a good target for deeper investigation (a substantial portion of the fg is backlit by, collectively, several giant ellipticals, each of which can be modeled cleanly).  :)

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 03:08:40 pm »

Thank you for your reply.
Here is a related question:
I wonder, if it was selected for the observation, about which you had informed in the below post in another thread?

This just in: we have 7 nights on the Kitt Peak 2.1m telescope doing imaging for overlapping galaxies. In particular, we want to concentrate on small dwarfish galaxies, since there is a case from Hubble data of such a galaxy with tendrils of dust well beyond the bright inner regions with lots of stars, and if such things are common it would explain some recent Herschel far-infrared measurements which combine lots of cold dust with very little extinction toward the bright parts of the galaxies.

(This is personally gratifying because there seemed to be a near-global conspiracy to prevent me from finishing this proposal; apologies to my SARA colleagues for any zoning out I did during that meeting the day of the deadline while trying to get the graphics insertion to work properly...)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:37:07 pm by zutopian »

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:23 pm »
Next round: the MNRAS reviews were both rather insistent that the lengthy catalog (albeit in digital form) should be submitted to another journal, despite our having an explicit confirmation from the editor that MNRAS is willing to publish papers with extensive online material. So, we've taken the introductory material and figures, plus the accompanying digital catalog, and submitted to the Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (PASP). I took the opportunity to tidy up the catalog file a lot - pairs are now listed consistently by the brighter member, both SDSS r magnitudes are given along with reasons not to take them to seriously for blended images, new redshifts from NED added along with all the DR8 redshifts found by c_cld, and, just in time, some typos fixed that JeanTate found. This file update should be reflected soon in data.galaxyzoo.org.

Now to get back to analysis of the dust properties in individual galaxies. Now we have the new Kitt Peak images to work with, as well as finishing off the ultraviolet complementary analysis with GALEX data (plus the small UV/optical "monitor" telescopes on Swift and XMM-Newton)

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 11:45:25 pm »
 :D :D :D

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:12 am »

Besides I wonder, what is given in the catalog as the smallest redshift difference between 2 overlapping galaxies?