Author Topic: Has Galaxy Zoo inspired you to do anything new?  (Read 9073 times)

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Has Galaxy Zoo inspired you to do anything new?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 03:36:13 am »
Come to think of it, Bill, Galaxy Zoo has inspired you to do new things as well if I understand correctly ;D

You mean in some way other than blogging, doing podcasts, working on the comic book, furnishing grist for my most successful Hubble proposal in about 5 years, an additional research grant, starting points for three additional student projects so far, four observing trips, months when I had at least an hour a day of joy looking at what new odd galaxies people have posted, and heading to Greenwich to meet a large crowd consisting of 0.03% of Zooites and having the new experience of people actually lined up to buy me a drink? Other than those, I have trouble thinking of ways...

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 08:46:01 pm »
You mean in some way other than blogging, doing podcasts, working on the comic book, furnishing grist for my most successful Hubble proposal in about 5 years, an additional research grant, starting points for three additional student projects so far, four observing trips, months when I had at least an hour a day of joy looking at what new odd galaxies people have posted, and heading to Greenwich to meet a large crowd consisting of 0.03% of Zooites and having the new experience of people actually lined up to buy me a drink? Other than those, I have trouble thinking of ways...

:D

stargazingmommy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 09:25:25 am »
I'm hooked. One night I got bored at work and started googling random astronomy related things. the zoo came up. I fell into the blackhole of the zoo, and though not as active, still here.
Thanks to the Zoo inflaming my interest in galaxies, space and all that jazz, I searched out the local astronomical society. Went to a few minutes, got dragged onto the board, and 2 yrs later I'm still on the board of directors.
One meeting the speaker mentioned the Zoo and SDSS, he and I discussed it after the meeting, the next month I got an email saying hey Jen will you write an article on GalaxyZoo for the news letter. No is hard to say sometimes.
Two months ago the clubs president started trying to track down someone to come speak on SDSS and/or the Zoo. I sent him a bunch of email addresses. He emailed back and said how about you do it. No is still hard to say.
So Aprils meeting I get to speak to our little club on citizen science and its impact and the Zoo.
I'm open for ideas and suggestions.
Pluto is still a planet!

rymix

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 09:47:53 am »
Hi all,

I think this is my first post here, but I do spend hours on Galaxy Zoo categorising galaxies. It's addictive and amazing.

I was directed to this forum from a Tweet sent to me by one of your members. I thought you might be interested in a project I'm working on, inspired in part by Galaxy Zoo and all the other cool and interesting astronomy web sites out there.

I'm building a human-gesture-controlled 3D cosmos viewer using Celestia (which I'm sure most of you have heard of - it's an open-source 3D model of, well, the universe). It's aimed at enthusing junior school children to take an interest in astronomy and science in general. It's still early days, but if you're interested you can keep up with progress on my blog. Here's a link to my rationale, but of course updates will be posted as new blog entries.

http://rymixxx.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/think/

Also, Galaxy Zoo inspired half the people in my office to spend an entire lunchtime categorising stuff. So you're directly responsible both for increasing human knowledge of the universe and wasting my employer's time!

Kind regards,
Steve

klmasters

• Astronomers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 12:09:09 pm »
Hi Steve. It was me on Twitter. :) How lovely to hear that your whole office is joining in. As an scientist using the classifications I do sometimes feel a bit funny that people are skiving off from their jobs to help me with mine! At least you were all doing it at lunchtime.

Good luck with your project, Karen.

JLConawayII

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »
Yeah, it's inspired me to stop slacking and finish my physics degree.  What is this now, 2011?  Oh god... *facepalm*  Better late than never I guess.

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 02:46:20 am »
I've had the occasional extra espresso....

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 03:31:23 pm »
I've had the occasional extra espresso....

:D

uwiiii

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 02:42:11 pm »
Well, I left science for industry 13 years ago. But I'm still very interested in all the new things going on in science. I did not start anything new (yet  ;)) but now that I have met so many "spare-time scientists" here, I feel much more comfortable being one myself. Greetings to all fellow Zooites :D

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »
Greetings! :)

StephanieC

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 01:04:11 am »
I'm sure there are a lot more stories to be told on here. I love reading them so I guess it's only fair that I share what I've been up to. As far as direct inspiration to take action goes, after I'd been classifying for a while I decided that "going outside and looking up" seemed like a good idea, so I've joined our local amateur astronomy section and am learning the night sky and how to use the telescopes. I read more about astronomy, watch more about astronomy, and scan the web for information about astronomy far more than I did before I found Galaxy Zoo. Although not directly attributable to Galaxy Zoo (I'd been thinking about it before I found the Zoo), my decision to take classes part time and earn a degree in imaging science has been fortified by reading about the scholarly activities of Zooites. (Wow, Waveney!)  When I am taking classes I don't have as much free time, but I still hang around here whenever I can.

Anyone else have a story to share?