Author Topic: Hubble and Voorwerpjes!  (Read 26797 times)

ElisabethB

• View Profile
Re: Hubble and Voorwerpjes!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 09:39:04 pm »
and an other little happy dance from Belgium too !  ;D

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 03:42:19 pm »
and an other little happy dance from Belgium too !  ;D

:D

[offtopic] and what a lovely pic you have Els [/offtopic]

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 10:37:24 pm »
More information, including which galaxies we plan to observe, now on the blog. It runs to less than 900 words, rather than my frequent 2000+, so I must have been feeling a bit terse today.

paulrogers

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 04:57:53 pm »
Excuse me, I can't read it! :'( :'( :'(  Black type on a dark and splotchy background? ::) ::) ::)

Kiske

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 05:04:14 pm »
Excuse me, I can't read it! :'( :'( :'(  Black type on a dark and splotchy background? ::) ::) ::)

Nothing wrong on this side of the water.

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »
That's odd - I see it with black font on a scrollable cream background, both using Mac/Safari and WinXP/Firefox. Anyone else having this issue?

mitch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »
No problem here (Firefox) - clear as day (and excellent too  8) 8))

waveney

• Irregular Galaxy Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 06:49:02 pm »
Its fine to me, but as Paul is using dial up (see OOTD), I suspect he may be using a low spec browser - the new blog format relies on CSS - this could be the reason.
Join the Irregular Classifiers
We all help at the cutting edge of ignorance.

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 10:24:21 am »
Should anyone contact Laihro (Christian M.), as he was deeply involved with the web interface? I guess he'd like to know his work has been central to this. Nice guy from eastern Germany who has helped GZ on more than one occasion. He even came over for the film about GZ and the Peas.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 03:08:37 pm »
What a great idea, Rick. I can e-mail him if you don't have his e-mail address.

I still remember you two meeting at Oxford railway station, and both obviously expecting the other to look totally different ;D

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 04:34:26 pm »
Good idea - I just emailed him (not having seen his ID here for a while).

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 04:49:00 pm »
Good idea - I just emailed him (not having seen his ID here for a while).
Tah.

I still remember you two meeting at Oxford railway station, and both obviously expecting the other to look totally different ;D
I remember being in Oxford wearing a fedora with a purple band (highly fashionable) and then wondering if I should have
dressed down somewhat. It's good to be able to put a face to an avatar/name and Christian turned out younger than I had
thought. His programming helped a lot in finding the Green Peas.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:09:57 pm by Rick Nowell »

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:56 am »
There is a very interesting news at "Universetoday": It is about the new discovery, that NGC 3758 aka Markarian 739 has binary AGN.
However, it isn't one of the discovered GZ Voorwerpjes, but I hope, that the HubbleST will look at it also soon.
PS: MRK 739 looks like MRK 463 (GZ Voorwerpje). I wonder, if MRK 463 might also have a binary AGN.

http://www.universetoday.com/86485/neaby-galaxy-has-two-monster-black-holes/

http://cas.sdss.org/dr7/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=587742013279502427

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 03:29:23 am »
There is a very interesting news at "Universetoday": It is about the new discovery, that NGC 3758 aka Markarian 739 has binary AGN.
However, it isn't one of the discovered GZ Voorwerpjes, but I hope, that the HubbleST will look at it also soon.

Actually, Mkn 739 is one of the 19 confirmed GZ Voorwerpje systems, but its energy balance makes it pretty clear that the AGN we see is responsible for the ionized gas clouds on its rim, so there wasn't enough of a question of luminosity changes to include in the Hubble proposal. Unusually among the GZ Voorwepje nuclei, it has a type 1 Seyfert nucleus where we have a fairly direct view of the area around the central black hole, so we see the very broad emission lines from its inner regions.

paulrogers

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 03:59:55 am »
Its fine to me, but as Paul is using dial up (see OOTD), I suspect he may be using a low spec browser - the new blog format relies on CSS - this could be the reason.
Indeed.  I don't trust being on the web with most systems--especially those that try to provide anything and everything.  More to the point, I don't trust the developers' appreciation of appropriate computer security.  So I have built my own Linux system using "Linux from Scratch", selected all the packages and compiled them all locally, including Firefox/Thunderbird-2.0.0.16.  (Being compiled on my own system, they are using all the shared libraries on my system, making them smaller and faster.  But it takes about 3hrs of grinding (12hrs on my old 233MHz Pentium) so I haven't updated it.  Your packaged downloads are statically linked using all the libraries of the developer's system so there will be no incompatibility, which duplicates a huge amount of code.)  I don't use any add-ons, and my internal firewall has something like 150 rules.  (I wouldn't say "it's so tight it squeaks", but it is strictly by the book--doesn't allow any "funny business".)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:03:19 am by paulrogers »