Author Topic: Blue Dots???  (Read 3814 times)

B. Askew

• View Profile
Blue Dots???
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:06:47 pm »
Hi All
Does anyone know what the little blue dots around the edge of this galaxy are?
   Thanks Billy

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Dots???
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:25:09 pm »
Welcome to the zoo wtaskew! They're probably cosmic rays - very fast, high energy particles that zoom pretty randomly through space and hit the camera just while it was looking at those galaxies. (Beautiful overlapping galaxy pair by the way ;D)

laihro

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:44:39 am »
It's a bit late but I'm not convinced by the cosmic ray theory. I'm counting at least 8 blue dots of varying size and colour, that seem restricted to the galaxy disc. So far I've seen only single occurences of cosmic rays that are much larger and are randomly distributed over the image. But maybe someone has a good example of confirmed cosmic rays that look similar. Meanwhile, can someone give hints on the source of that image (Hubble or SDSS, ID, coordinates) maybe from the name 90018623? I will PM B. Askew about that.
IMHO. And I don't have a clue ...

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:33:54 am »
It's a bit late but I'm not convinced by the cosmic ray theory. I'm counting at least 8 blue dots of varying size and colour, that seem restricted to the galaxy disc. So far I've seen only single occurences of cosmic rays that are much larger and are randomly distributed over the image. But maybe someone has a good example of confirmed cosmic rays that look similar. Meanwhile, can someone give hints on the source of that image (Hubble or SDSS, ID, coordinates) maybe from the name 90018623? I will PM B. Askew about that.
Hi laihro,
You can see this AHZ40002tp at "Hubble Legacy Archive", but in the same look-up you have
other images with less cosmic rays (it's by no way a theory  :-[ )

HLA: RA = 53.303100  Dec = -27.762500 

Aether01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 04:21:04 pm »
*Frowns and stares* I'm more than happy to accept cosmic rays, though thefact that there seems to be an interesting correspondance between the edge of the disk and the edge of the rays seems interesting... Then again, I know of no process to create anything like that, except something emitted by the black hole.

The question I would like to ask is why can we see a couple of stars 'below' the core in the hubble legacy photo but not in the SDSS photo

Blackprojects

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:51:44 am »
*Frowns and stares* I'm more than happy to accept cosmic rays, though thefact that there seems to be an interesting correspondance between the edge of the disk and the edge of the rays seems interesting... Then again, I know of no process to create anything like that, except something emitted by the black hole.

The question I would like to ask is why can we see a couple of stars 'below' the core in the hubble legacy photo but not in the SDSS photo

This is Archived so is not Alive area

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:18:03 pm »
I would be happy to move it if people are still interested?