Author Topic: The Shape of the Galaxy Project  (Read 6606 times)

aardvak

• View Profile
Re: The Shape of the Galaxy Project
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 01:32:12 pm »
Today I looked at many different 4 armed spiral galaxies with and without bars, thanks to the marvellous work of the Galaxy Zoo classifiers, trying to find a galaxy which looks similar to what we think our Galaxy currently looks like. The most common artists impression the Milky Way can be found here http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/punctuated-equilibrium/2011/jul/05/2?INTCMP=SRCH and I think that one of the closest matches to this picture can be found with this galaxy (not sure how well the link will work but here it is anyway) http://cas.sdss.org/dr7/en/tools/chart/navi.asp?ra=132.37926&dec=39.209721 which certainly looks the part. I haven't yet found it's size or mass so it is not a definite sister galaxy yet, but it looks right. Other galaxies we looked at can be found here http://cas.sdss.org/dr7/en/tools/chart/list.asp so if you think you have another of these galaxies which also looks like the Milky Way please comment on this. Some of the galaxies have bars and some don't so, again, it's up to you to decide how alike they are as this is a very individual task as some people may see four arms where others see only two. In later days we will be looking at Galaxies with only two spiral arms, bars and without bars, but I think the search will turn up fewer matches as there will be more data and we are almost certain our Galaxy has more spirals than two. Until then, please post any matches you think are relevant and if there are any other pictures of galaxies which we haven't found or included in our research I will be pleased to hear any theories.

Aardvak

aardvak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 12:43:29 pm »
We have decided on a galaxy which could be classed as a twin for ours. It shares many qualities such as central bulge size, mass, a similar star formation rate, same number of spiral arms. However we need a name. Any ideas for this galaxy please post, I will be interested to see your ideas. The galaxy itself can be found in a link in my last post. We will probably be writing a small article for a magazine, more of which I can confirm at a later date. So please post any ideas for an interesting galaxy name, we have already thought of Snickers and Bounty, if you're looking for some inspiration.

Aardvak

aardvak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 12:49:02 pm »
More days, more plots. It's a little difficult to show you the plots as i can't really upload the pictures anywhere easy so you'll have to use your imagination but they all look very pretty and are giving some interesting results. I've probably said this before but one of the graphs has a really interesting piece of data. It firstly shows the points of all galaxies where more than 80% of people thinking there were bars against galaxies where more than 80% of people who thought there were four arms. In this category there was 1 galaxy. When we tried the same graph with the only difference being two arms instead of four arms. This turned up over 800 galaxies.This shows how rare four armed spiral galaxies are. As we think the Milky Way has both four arms and a bar it could show how rare and special our Galaxy actually is. More data coming...

Aardvak

aardvak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 08:55:41 am »
today is the penultimate day of my summer placement and there are some interesting conclusions i can draw from what i have learnt. Firstly, finding a galaxy which is very similar t ours is very tricky, not only because it is so unique, adapting to a more independent work style has been difficult for me, be i got there in the end. Secondly, finding a galaxy which is similar to ours is very easy, because in our short investigation we found two or three viable candidates. Also, if you take a postage stamp size piece of sky at night, there is probably hundreds of four armed spiral galaxies in the green valley with a similar stellar mass, some within the visible universe, some outside. Whatever else can be drawn from the project though is eclipsed by two things; our galaxy is very special, it is not a commonly found galaxy, and secondly that i have had a great time and would like to take this opportunity to thank those who gave me this chance and helped me through it. So cheers have to go to Karen Masters, Mr. Thomas, Tim from the other room, Bob Nichol, Gary from IT and those who have just been there to make it most enjoyable, one last post tomorrow, but for now it's thank you and good night.

Aardvak

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »
I hope you've enjoyed your summer placement, Aardvak! Are you going to be writing a blogpost? You will be able to upload the pictures onto that :)

I would love to see the galaxy at least :)

klmasters

• Astronomers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 12:55:23 pm »
I have just posted on the Galaxy Zoo blog a write up which "Aardvark" did of the project - including a picture of the galaxy in question.

http://blogs.zooniverse.org/galaxyzoo/2011/09/06/a-summer-spent-finding-our-galactic-twin/

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 05:06:28 pm »
I'm just writing up an Object of the Day about this. Have you already decided on a name or are you still looking? ;D

aardvak

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 04:44:46 pm »
We are indeed still looking for names, so far we only have a few such as; Bounty, Snickers, The Galaxy galaxy, and some other chocolate related humour. Better suggestions are always welcome, so please encourage everyone to think of as many names as possible, its a clean slate, any idea is a good idea. Just maybe not the best one...

Aardvak

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 07:36:38 pm »
The Milky Bar? ;D