Author Topic: RANKING SYSTEM - would be fine!  (Read 3211 times)

donrumato

• View Profile
RANKING SYSTEM - would be fine!
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:04:50 am »
Hi friends,

my suggestion - to introduce a rank system on galaxy zoo hubble or on other sites of the Project as well.

Example - 1000 galaxies classified = 1 rank, 5000 for the second rank and so on... I think it would add cheer up all fans...

More you classify more ranks (maybe some kind of awards - medals in profile).

Administation should value its devoted users.

thank you,

Don from Moscow

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: RANKING SYSTEM - would be fine!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:46:28 pm »
Hi Don,

Galaxy Zoo isn't a race and we don't want you to hurry through the classifications as fast as possible to gain some rank or prize. We'd rather you spend as much time as you need on each galaxy an do the best classification possible.

Kevin

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:39:31 am »
Don, that would be unfair to new zooites and people in general that can't spend a lot of time classifying.  I used to spend about 16 hours a day here on GZ classifying everything that came my way, not many people have that chance.  Just try to do your best and that should be reward enough  ;D

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

Blackprojects

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:59:40 pm »
Don

Us

ZOOITES
 Do this because we want to not because we have to.

I used to be a bit Like Love the Troppics Clicking 24/7 Now i have Slowed down and Mainly Click on Super Noveas with rare visits to Moon Zoo and Icehunters with Ocasional Hubble Zoo visits.

In the past i have Clicked on a Huge number oF Galaxys on
ZOO1
ZOO2 and a few 1,000  on
Hubble zoo
MoonZoo
and loads of others

So your ranking system would put you way down at the bottom of the List and i mean way way Down Compared to Some ZOOITES

ZooKeeper Kevin

Holds the Record for the Number of Galaxy"s in a Month which none of us will ever willingly attempt.

with out a Fuel Tanker Full of COFFEE!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:03:09 pm by Blackprojects »

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 12:33:18 pm »
lol yes blackprojects - if you do more than me, you will have a headache. I certainly did!

Tom Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:33:28 am »
It might be worth considering whether Zooniverse could implement the Mozilla Open Badges project in some form. Even if it was only a single badge for each project it might be worthwhile.

http://openbadges.org

rocketmama

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:18:34 pm »
I've just noticed after looking around at the forum posts that there does seem to be some kind of system that distinguishes the contribution of some Zooites.  I notice that there are 'hero' members and 'senior' members as well as newbies, and that there are different numbers of squares above the names/pictures of the participant.  Just curious about what these distinctions are based on?

Kiske

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:23:48 pm »
Hi Rocketmama,

The Heroes, Seniors a.s.o. plus the squares you mean, have just to do with the number of postings in the forum. So post a lot and you´ll go from Newbie to Junior.
It has NOTHING to do with the number of classifications you have done.

rocketmama

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:45:48 pm »
That's interesting - many thanks for getting back to me!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:11:53 pm »
Sorry to be distinctly late to the party here :) Those ranks are there because of automatic forum software - if we had the choice, we wouldn't have those. We'd probably have "chatterbox" and "mega chatterbox" instead :D

In the early days of Galaxy Zoo we did have a ranking system, but it led to people being careless with classifications, unhappy about their position, suspecting each other of somehow cheating etc. So things improved without it. (Besides, someone without much time to classify can be just as interested as someone with a lot more time.) A much better way to value people is to put the names of all the classifiers on a link from all the papers published, which is what happens :) I think this was the paper where all this was described - you can find all our papers here, if you're interested.