Author Topic: We're in a book! "Reinventing Discovery" by Michael Nielsen  (Read 14875 times)

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: We're in a book! "Reinventing Discovery" by Michael Nielsen
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 07:11:27 pm »
Greetings,

One might think that this book would make a worthwhile addition to the Book Review thread in the Library.

Best regards,
ES

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 11:25:09 am »
Hurray, I've read the chapter. I have limited time today. It's those dinner parties that folk my age participate in and the rivetting topics of conversation, invariably politics and economic woe.

I thoroughly enjoyed Eigen's review but it's time now I thinks that he comes out, and adopts his real name.

What Galaxyzoo always had going for it is public fascination with space sciences. For the professionals who work in these disciplines little has changed over the last 40 years. The constant struggle for recognition, few tenured jobs, miserly pay, stipends, inordinate time spent applying for grants etc. I guess my generation failed you all as did my parents' generation. Times will not improve as we descend into recession. Not another prophet of doom again.

If you are sitting predawn under a clear Andalusian sky, panning for gold, with a good wifi connection, a never loaded fishing line, brewing fresh coffee and nipping down a long shot of brandy, that those poor medics would sadly advise against, those multitude of galaxyzoo projects attest to the importance of all things astronomic and cosmological in the public mind. All other disciplines of endeavour pale into insignificance compared with what is happening in the firmanent way above your head. The road to Oxford was emblazened with grafitti " Give Peas a Chance". In the Mars Attacks movie Mt Rushmore was restuctured- great imagination but pure fiction yet today we can read that emblem of public triumph at the base of the monument, in giant monumental script "GIVE PEAS A CHANCE".

The fact is all can participate in the greatest of all scientific endeavours. Regardless of where you reside, and some have to be born or reside or work in Ponca City or Spokane, Milton Keys or Basra, those giant telescopes take us to those tremote places in space and time that we could otherwise but dream about.

It's obviously time to write our own book but don't ask me I'm too busy seeking a hermit's life.

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »
I have my copy but haven't read it yet....

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 03:41:49 pm »
I'd missed this topic; excellent news though. ;D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 05:02:20 pm »
My copy's just arrived! ;D ;D ;D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 01:27:56 pm »
Hanny's in it obviously, as are Chris and Kevin. I'm quoted and referenced. Rick and Aida are also in it and a few other Zooites get a mention . . .  ;D ;D ;D

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 05:29:48 pm »
Hanny's in it obviously, as are Chris and Kevin. I'm quoted and referenced. Rick and Aida are also in it and a few other Zooites get a mention . . .  ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like a thoroughly written piece. How cool we're all in it. Must get me a copy. :)

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 10:57:22 am »

It's nice to be mentioned, though I doubt I will buy his book. Yes GZ works towards getting scientific papers published
and this may well have been how research has been carried out for many decades. But I disagree that GZ is conservative.
In my unqualified eyes, it is progressive, in that has attempted and succeeded in building a bridge between highly
respected astronomers and amateurs.

I could never have even begun to think about the possibility of writing a paper on the Peas- I'm not up to it. Luckily some
scientists came along that could do. All I did was make a few lists.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »
Heh, as you progress through the book you find the "conservative" thing was a very very minor point! The only thing it meant was that it's done with the aim of writing papers, rather than simply providing information - and since we've now done data releases even that is no longer true.

When we're both next at a meet-up I will show you the bit you're in, you'll like it. I've been reading it on the bus etc. I've discovered I mustn't read it before bed, as I usually read books. The reason being that he wrote it to put a bomb under the scientific community (I think this was what one newspaper or something said?). It lights a fire in my brain and sleep is the last thing I'm likely to achieve. ;D

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 06:16:17 pm »
I've just finished reading this. It really is a very good read and includes a fairly thorough account of how science works now (ie reputation is based on the number of papers written / papers cited) and and how a more open science (sharing data and computer code) could speed up the rate of scientic diiscoveries. While Michael Neilson admits that progress will be slow, he sees citizen science as having a serious role to play in changing the way science works and Galaxy Zoo is used as a shining example. I was also pleased to find Moon Zoo and Solar Stormwatch in there too. :) Half a dozen zooites get a mention as well as a few zookeepers.

It made me realise just how radical (and brave) the decision to start Galaxy Zoo was.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:17:48 pm by jules »

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 01:52:37 pm »
My copy arrived today - now to find time to read it!
  Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 08:43:21 pm »
I was reading it obsessively when I first got it - on the bus, you name it. However, things got so busy I didn't get a chance to finish it. However, I did finish it last night - re-read chapter 7 because it's adorable to read about the peas and the zoo all over again, and chapters 8 and 9 were like someone singing a marching song of my own dreams but a lot more advanced :D ;D ;D ;D I must write a review of it as soon as I can . . . ;D

Ajit

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 02:46:28 pm »
Finally logged in after 2 years to do my first classifications Alice, Thanks for reminding our obligations to the universe. . Is this one called Zooniverse before?. I had saved my password and log in name as Zooniverse. So I thought these 2 are different but managed to log in using the same.
Ajith

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 09:53:17 am »
I was reading it obsessively when I first got it - on the bus, you name it. However, things got so busy I didn't get a chance to finish it. However, I did finish it last night - re-read chapter 7 because it's adorable to read about the peas and the zoo all over again, and chapters 8 and 9 were like someone singing a marching song of my own dreams but a lot more advanced :D ;D ;D ;D I must write a review of it as soon as I can . . . ;D

My God Alice, it's time to write a review already!  Haven't been able to buy it yet.... :-* ;D ;D

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

EigenState

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 09:41:15 pm »
Greetings,

Of related interest:  Highlights from the SOAP project survey. What Scientists Think about Open Access Publishing.

The SOAP (Study of Open Access Publishing) project has run a large-scale survey of the attitudes of researchers on, and the experiences with, open access publishing. Around forty thousands answers were collected across disciplines and around the world, showing an overwhelming support for the idea of open access, while highlighting funding and (perceived) quality as the main barriers to publishing in open access journals.

Best regards,
ES