Author Topic: A question, which could lead to a suggestion concerning an SDSS image database  (Read 13445 times)

LankyYankee

• View Profile
Does anyone know if there exists, outside the Zoo, a database of SDSS images, similar to, say, our UGC thread? The main difference between the database I'm imagining and our UGC thread would be that the images would be in catalog numerical order, instead of in the thread's arbitrary order of posting. (Also, the thread I'm thinking of would include every SDSS image of an object, one from each Data Release.)

If the database I am imagining does not already exist, would it make sense to create it, either as a Zoo project or external to the Zoo? I know that I would find such a database to be very useful, and I would think that I'm not totally alone in that.

I'm familiar with databases similar to the one I describe that include teensy-weensy thumbnail style non-SDSS images, but I've never seen one that would allow a visitor to get a good look at a color image of a particular galaxy.

Also, if I was creating such a database, an entry for a galaxy that is part of a system or cluster would include a zoomed out image to show the particular galaxy's position in the system or cluster.

LankyYankee

• View Profile
As I understand it, SDSS images are freely available for non-commercial use, and I suspect that neither of those mega-corporations would be interested in a truly non-commercial project. But who knows, maybe it could become a profit center for SDSS? Maybe I should patent the idea  :D :D

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The closest thing I know of is Dave Hogg's collection of galaxies with large angular sizes, processed directly from the raw imagery.

LankyYankee

• View Profile
The closest thing I know of is Dave Hogg's collection of galaxies with large angular sizes, processed directly from the raw imagery.

Thanks, I didn't know about Hogg's site, which certainly has many lovely images. But there are only about 600 of them, whereas my imaginary site would include tens of thousands of images. Somehow it strikes me as just wrong that all those images are sitting in the SDSS database, but each one of them is very difficult to access unless you are a very sophisticated SDSS user.

I'm not knocking the SDSS site, which is a marvel and a treasure, but merely suggesting that its highlights could with a small amount of effort be made much, much, more accessible. In a way, that's exactly what the various catalog-based GZ threads are doing, but putting a little effort into organizing the posts in whose GZ threads would have the effect of turning them into an important resource for anyone with an interest in galaxy images.

If it were possible, within the GZ forum, to do what I'm suggesting, say, create a new UGC thread where the first post in the thread would be UGC 00001 and the last post UGC 14999 (or whatever the highest UGC number is), then we could do it ourselves -- citizen scientists creating an important and easily accessed astronomical reference work.

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
The closest thing, which I know, is the "NASA Sloan Atlas"! The catalog contains about 140,000 local galaxies and each galaxy has a NSA ID Number:
http://nsatlas.org (Service Temporarily Unavailable)
I would like a "Galaxy Zoo Sloan Atlas"!
The results of our classifications are given as tables in the SDSS database: http://data.galaxyzoo.org/
I guess, that these are mainly used by professional astronomers. To present our classifications as a GZ Atlas would be more attractive! Since GZ is a citizen science project, the published data should be available easily for the participants.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:05:10 am by zutopian »

LankyYankee

• View Profile
After seeing the replies above, I'd like to make a proposal to the moderators -- if it's possible to do it in the Forum, create an additional NGC thread, one in which the posts are displayed in the order of the NGC catalog, from NGC 0001 to NGC 7840.  Call it the Numerical NGC thread. We already have close to half of the objects posted in the existing NGC thread.

Then all of us can populate the thread until it includes all the NGC objects in the SDSS footprint. I think it would be particularly useful if there was room for multiple posts of each object, both for images from each of the Data Releases and for images of galaxy systems and clusters to show how a particular object relates to any near neighbors.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That sounds like something to do in a quiet area and to end up on the Astronomy Board. There is a 20,000 character limit for posts, so it wouldn't be possible to put all into the same post :D unless you were thinking of doing them all chronologically, one NGC galaxy per post, which could take a while and be pretty hard. But if anyone wants to do it, it'd be awesome - let's do it.

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
may i volunteer?
and a suggestion: we put them in order as best as we can, and a moderator with the patience can move posts around so that they are in order?
may i present to you:

NGC 0001  1237663235526623298 a=0.015
(NEW GENERAL CATALOG) NGC 0001 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we should make sure they are searchable first.

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
and would lankyyankee, being the one to have posted NGC 0001, like to start the thread?

garrett_cw

• In this picture I'm the Grandfather.
    • View Profile
I have read the above posting carefully. It seems to me that 2 different things have been proposed:

1. A cross reference from an established well known catalogue(e.g., NGC) to the Sloan images in each of the data releases. Some questions come to mind.
        Which catalogues should be included? What other data should it link to? The GZ data?
        Each Sloan data release entry?

2. A new Galaxy Zoo Catalogue of Sloan Objects. A catalogue of all objects found in the Sloan survey. It should contain cross references to older catalogues, and all the other items in 1 above.
        What objects should be included? What links to other data?

A reason not to do 2 is that this might be someones PHD work.  ;) Also 2 would be a very large database when done and not subject to easy representation as book.
Curtis
"To get along in life you must be very clever or very nice. I've been clever. I recomend nice."

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
i understand your last statement. but i do not understand your questions.....
please explain?

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bear in mind, if you want me to move posts around, I'm not going to have infinite time. I'm already asleep most of the time I'm actually at home. I don't really recommend relying on a moderator for this. I don't mean to be unhelpful, just honest.

LankyYankee

• View Profile
The GZ catalog that exists in my imagination would be, for example, an illustrated catalog of all NGC objects, arranged in NGC numerical order, and each entry would include an image from each SDSS Data Release and also relevant related images, i.e., images of clusters or systems the include the main entry.

I was not proposing that hardworking Alice or any moderator have the task of moving the posts around.  I was hoping that perhaps the GZ Forum template could be modified just for the numerical-order catalog threads, so that anyone would be able to insert, say, NGC 0002 between NGC 0001 and 0003, and anyone could also add a DR7 image to the post of a DR 6 image.  I don't know if that's possible, but if the moderators like this idea perhaps they could ask the folks who created the forum software if it could be modified for selected  threads.

If this is doable, we could produce a thread for any catalog we like -- all of those threads that already exist in their random-order form and those that no one has started, like the CGCG catalog. In my imagination, each thread would always be a collective work in progress, with everyone encouraged to add useful posts and perhaps a moderator keeping an eye on it.

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
so what we can do, is have the posts modified by the people who posted them
example;

post1 (NGC 0001)
post2 (NGC 0002)
post3 (NGC 0004)
post4 (NGC 0003)

becomes:

post1 (NGC 0001)
post2 (NGC 0002)
post3 (NGC 0004) (edited to be NGC 0003)
post4 (NGC 0003) (edited to be NGC 0004)

becomes

post1 (NGC 0001)
post2 (NGC 0002)
post3 (NGC 0003)
post4 (NGC 0004)

of course this does require having to edit your post quite often and all the proceeding posts..... we can have it quoted and merged into another post...

post1 (NGC 0001)
post2 (NGC 0002)
post3 (NGC 0004)
post4 (NGC 0003) ( quoted)

becomes either:
post1 (NGC 0001)
post2 (NGC 0002) (NGC 0003)
post3 (NGC 0004)
or:
post1 (NGC 0001)
post2 (NGC 0002)
post3 (NGC 0003) (NGC 0004)
edit: here is a solution for your request ^

garrett_cw

• In this picture I'm the Grandfather.
    • View Profile
I think LankyYanky has answered what he intended.
My questions all boil down to "what should be included for each entry?"

Some of the information referenced by other posters included:
http://data.galaxyzoo.org/

And Hobbs list. And there are other catalogues that are not subsumed by NGC.
Also there are things in the SDSS that are not galaxies. Ask Haney if you don't believe me.  ;) ;D
Curtis
"To get along in life you must be very clever or very nice. I've been clever. I recomend nice."