Author Topic: A question, which could lead to a suggestion concerning an SDSS image database  (Read 14056 times)

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
I am strongly in favor of trying to find a way to design such threads so new material can be added within the thread, and not just at the end, like all the existing threads.  A thread in which material could be added within the thread would make it possible to include each Data Release image for a particular object in one place, plus it would make it possible to insert related images of a particular object, such as an image showing where an object lies within a cluster or a system.

You favor some design for which you don't give the first step of feasability with the tools available within this forum.

I've posted some work on the needs expressed in this thread, with the constraints we know:
around 50 pics per post limited to 20 000 characters and loading issues of DR8 thumbnails.

I proposed many links to respond to the need of more information on a particular object; but it seems to me that including the whole neighbor image has not its place in the post even if the limit constraint is extensible.

My work is doable within around 80 posts !  I started by the less populated constellations, but it will grow up to a dozen posts for Virgo, or mainly between RA 11H to 13H where the cataloguers found the huge grouping.

Hope you'll accept my work keeping feet on ground  ;D  ;D 
c_cld

LankyYankee

• View Profile
You're quite right that my proposal was for a thread or threads that would require a slightly different design than any existing GZ Forum thread, because it needs to accept additions within the thread and not just at the end. I don't have any idea how such a thread could be created, but I would suspect that if such a thread is possible, then the Zooniverse is big enough to host it, perhaps in a different Forum.

I think that my proposed thread could develop into a place where Zooites could post multiple images and bits of text about a single galaxy, for example, SDSS images from each data release, plus Hubble images, plus images from other sources and they'd all be together, so an amateur like me could view them all at once, without specialized knowledge about how to search the various data releases, etc. It would be a sort of wikipedia of galaxy images.

Another attractive feature of my proposal is that the resulting thread would be a collective enterprise, just like the existing threads.

Of course I'll accept your work, which will be a useful addition to the Forum, but I would hope that if a wikipedia-type thread is possible, someone will start it.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
You're quite right that my proposal was for a thread or threads that would require a slightly different design than any existing GZ Forum thread, because it needs to accept additions within the thread and not just at the end. I don't have any idea how such a thread could be created, but I would suspect that if such a thread is possible, then the Zooniverse is big enough to host it, perhaps in a different Forum.
As far as I know, the structure of this forum would make any such thread difficult - if not impossible - to create.  :(

At least, within this forum.

Here's one suggestion: someone creates a thread with ~4300 (or, better, 7840) posts, each of which contains a placeholder text (in the longer version, that placeholder text would read something like 'NGC xxxx', the first 'NGC 0001', and each subsequent one incrementing the number). Every zooite - or some subset of them - would be given 'mod powers' over that thread (perhaps it could be set up in its own section, as mod powers can be section-specific, but not thread-specific). They could then freely edit any of the posts.

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
Outside this forum there are:
- in Wikipedia List of NGC objects in seven pages by thousand NGC numbers with some links to individual objects and links to Simbad/vizier.

- in SEDS the pages i linked my pics to

- in the NGC/IC project a lot of items with pages of DSS images by block of hundred objects.

I don't know if you could join this NGC/IC project or if you could be a contributor to Wikipedia.

What will be adds-on from SDSS are images of the location of each object. 

In the other way, in this forum:
I posted SDSS images and gave the possibility, by "search menu" of a find in a constellation, or result of NGC number,  and clickable links to the tools of visualising/getting information on each object on SDSS, NED and SEDS.  The shortage of this method is lot of posts compared to the hierarchical limited division of wikipedia (by 1000) or NGC/IC project (by 100).

I can't think of reinventing what is already there on the WEB for NGC catalogue.

The defect of our GZ posting method for the purpose of organizing  images is in my opinion the lack of hierarchical features.

Without waiting for this hypothetical improvement, I could continue my "constellations posts" if it's worth for some zooites (raise your hand, no poll) .  ???

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
i just had an idea. im sure you are familiar with LizPeter's "identification list of all posted nebulae" right? can we have a similar format? but with the unposted as well?
so, my idea would be that it looks somewhat like this:

first post of thread (format according to my example):
NGC 0006
NGC 0008
other posts (in numerical NGC order)
quote from C_cld:
NGC0006 1237659889192271938 SDSS J000932.68+331831.4

NGC0008
1237678578755829899 SDSS J000845.21+235018.3
1237678578755829899 SDSS J000845.21+235018.3
1237678578755829900 SDSS J000845.64+235018.5
really its like C_cld's posts but we dont have the multiple pictures and we have the list. ( i just noticed btw that there is a repeat c_cld, the first two ids)
so the procedure is really as follows: search the forum for NGC objects in numerical order, post them here, and have LY or whoever starts the thread's post will be edited.
sound good?

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile

I think that my proposed thread could develop into a place where Zooites could post multiple images and bits of text about a single galaxy, for example, SDSS images from each data release, plus Hubble images, plus images from other sources and they'd all be together, so an amateur like me could view them all at once, without specialized knowledge about how to search the various data releases, etc. It would be a sort of wikipedia of galaxy images.

Another attractive feature of my proposal is that the resulting thread would be a collective enterprise, just like the existing threads.

Of course I'll accept your work, which will be a useful addition to the Forum, but I would hope that if a wikipedia-type thread is possible, someone will start it.

I would like to suggest following:
There should be a new board just for NGC Galaxies and in this board there should be separate threads for each NGC object:
So everybody would be able to post in these threads!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:47:15 am by zutopian »

LankyYankee

• View Profile

I would like to suggest following:
There should be a new board just for NGC Galaxies and in this board there should be separate threads for each NGC object:
So everybody would be able to post in these threads!

Given the constraints of the GZ Forum design, it seems to me that zutopian has the best idea. A new board devoted exclusively to NGC objects, with a separate thread for each object. At the very top of the board would be an index, arranged in NGC numerical order, with links to each thread. The threads themselves would be in no particular order, but because the index would be in numerical order, it would be easy to find any thread.

Each thread would include multiple SDSS images of an object (one from each data release) plus Hubble images, plus images from other sources, plus images showing a particular objects position in a cluster or system, plus links to other information about the object. Everyone who is a member of the forum would be able to add posts to any of the threads.

There could also be a thread or threads consisting of collections of NGC objects, such as what c-cld has produced.

I'm confident that this board would not be reproducing something that already exists -- there isn't any site that puts all these images and related information in one place where it is easy for a casual user to access it all at the same time.

Of course, if this board turns out to be a great success, there would be no reason not to create additional boards of the same design, devoted to other catalogs.

I would be happy to take on the task of maintaining the board, in particular, the index thread at the top.

What do others think, especially the Zookeepers?

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Sounds like a plan! contact the zookeepers to point them to this thread. we would also need one for each catalogue ever started here. look for the almost complete list in my catalogue catalogue thread in stunning sights.

elizabeth

• View Profile
 :D :D Well this sounds promising and maybe doable! Of course I do not know the tech things! Where is Wavney? He might be able to shed some light on this subject or maybe Arfon ::)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:43:42 pm by elizabeth »

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
I contacted alice. his name is arfon, not afron. waveney has admin powers?

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
Waveney has powers but not of the admin sort  ;)
  Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What you guys could do is to form a joint account, with one e-mail address, and share the password amongst yourselves. That way you could go back and edit any of the posts. Sort of like LizPeter ;D

Or you could be great pioneers and build a whole new website dedicated to all the images of all NGC galaxies. I would of course link to it in the Astronomy board at the top of the forum! ;D

LankyYankee

• View Profile
Having zero website-building skill I would favor the LizPeter style solution, unless we have among us a website builder.  What do others say?

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
HAY! I recently made a website... Here is the link: www.astroupdates.proboards.com i can make a whole board and whatnot for it!
So... Shall we choose which solution?

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
On second thought... The LP solution is better because its on this site. But you can still join my website.