Author Topic: A question, which could lead to a suggestion concerning an SDSS image database  (Read 14167 times)

elizabeth

• View Profile
Having zero website-building skill I would favor the LizPeter style solution, unless we have among us a website builder.  What do others say?
:D I also have no website-building skills. I suggested Waveney since he does.  ;D but he is busy has anyone contacted them zookeepers?

garrett_cw

• In this picture I'm the Grandfather.
    • View Profile
I think the person to comunicate with is Arfon, the administrator.
Arfon
Curtis
"To get along in life you must be very clever or very nice. I've been clever. I recomend nice."

ctlgprjct

• View Profile
well, i guess this is the joint account. if you wish to partake, send egalaxy a message, and he will give you the info.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Welcome aboard ;D ;D ;D

LankyYankee

• View Profile
We've bitten the bullet and started the NGC-objects-in-numerical-order thread here.

Posting to it takes a little extra effort, because you need to log in to the joint account, but it promises to eventually be an important Internet resource, useful to anyone who wants to see easy-to-find images and information about NGC objects. Please check out the thread (which is a work in progress and would benefit from constructive criticism) and if you'd like to help to build it, send a PM to me or egalaxy.

djj

• OotD posters
    • View Profile

LankyYankee

• View Profile
I have a question about the mechanics of a joint account, which is what we're using to administer the NGC catalog list thread: does anyone know, if one person is logged in to the joint account, can another person log in to the same account at the same time, or must they wait until the first person logs out?

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
you can be logged in at the same time. i did it with my phone and computer. (two different IP addresses)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
For several NGC objects, there is more than one SDSS object. What to do in those cases? For example, which of the two (or more) SDSS objects should be the one matched with the NGC object (assuming only one is allowed, in this catalog)?

588017949357965355  NGC 5214

Galaxy with horns smoking a big Habana !!

This illustrates another challenge: as I understand it, the two galaxies here are NGC 5214 and NGC 5214A. Will the catalog include both?
I see that you've solved this, by including everything with the name NGC [1111][A] in NGC [1111] (where [1] is any numeral in the interval [0,9], and [A] is any letter, in the interval [{null},Z]); e.g. NGC 0061 8)

LankyYankee

• View Profile
Jean's right -- the thread has one slot for every whole number NGC designator -- if there are objects A, B and C, and NOTES01 and NOTES02 all preceded by the same whole number, all those objects will be assigned to the one slot -- but any number of images can be (and are being) posted in each slot -- when the thread is mature, a visitor ought to be able to view several images (SDSS, Hubble, GALEX, you name it) images of the same object(s), all posted together.