Author Topic: Saturday 17 March 2012 An enigma wrapped in a riddle (surrounded by emptiness?)  (Read 15054 times)

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
Way to go zutopian!  Thank you so much!  ;D ;D ;D

Well, I didn't solve the mystery! I just found further mysterious spirals! ;D Maybe we should start a new thread for "Spirals with mysterious arms"!

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile

Well, I didn't solve the mystery! I just found further mysterious spirals! ;D Maybe we should start a new thread for "Spirals with mysterious arms"!

Maybe we should.  ;D   And maybe one of the Zookeepers can pitch in and help us think how they happen to be like that.  Guys?

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
so if i may.... conclude: a "mysterious arm" is a spiral-looking arm that does not appear to originate from the center of the galaxy?

Lovethetropics

• View Profile
so if i may.... conclude: a "mysterious arm" is a spiral-looking arm that does not appear to originate from the center of the galaxy?

Not only that egalaxy, how did those "arms" get to be on that particular galaxy...it's very isolated (as a matter of fact it's the only catalog that mentions it) and we may as well forget a close encounter or a merger...why?  The main galaxy is very quiet and reddish-gold while the "arms" are still starforming as far as I know...guys?

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
Here is a galaxy, which looks like the OOTD galaxy:

http://www.galaxyzoo.org/examine/AHZ2000eix
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:50:41 pm by zutopian »

John H.

• View Profile
Thank you Join, don't you think those galaxies are surrounded by other galaxies that could have made a close pass or even some kind of merger but the one on the OOTD is alone with no visible culprit.  :D

See?  There's nothing close enough to produce that starforming ring:

It is too bad we can't view the celestial body, say, from the other side. Maybe then, we would know more.

Very intriguing photo!

Lovethetropics

• View Profile
Thank you John H and welcome to the Zoo  ;D ;D ;D

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile

Maybe we should.  ;D   And maybe one of the Zookeepers can pitch in and help us think how they happen to be like that.  Guys?

I like this idea.  :)

We don't have to wait for a zookeeper though, do we? I mean any of us could start a thread, in Weird and wonderful perhaps, right? To start it I think we would need to rather carefully word the description of what we're looking for. For example, are we looking for galaxies with at least a pair of arms that doesn't look like they're in the same plane (polar ring galaxies are like this)? Or something else?

Lovethetropics

• View Profile
I agree Jean, would you do the honors please?  :-* :-* :-*

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile

Done: Spiral Galaxies with Strange Arms (but not Mergers)

I didn't put all the other galaxies, posted in this thread, into the first post of that new thread, just the three which I think best illustrate what we're looking for (special thanks to zutopian).

Lovethetropics

• View Profile

Done: Spiral Galaxies with Strange Arms (but not Mergers)

I didn't put all the other galaxies, posted in this thread, into the first post of that new thread, just the three which I think best illustrate what we're looking for (special thanks to zutopian).

Thank you so much dear Jean  ;D  YOU ROCK!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -    -  -  -  -  -  -  -    -  -  -  -  -  -  -    -  -  -  -  -  -  -    -  -  -  -  -  -  -    -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
Jean: I think it's unusual, and, like you, can't think what to call it (and I'd be not the least bit surprised to learn that you've actually seen more galaxies than me). But that's what makes it such a great OOTD, right? We should get more eyes on it ... (note to self: check out what the votes were, in Table 2 of the GZ DR1 paper).
A bit late, following up on that note to myself, ...

There are 40 zooite votes, according to Table 2: 31 for CW, seven for EDGE, and two for Merger.

Interesting: none for ACW, and none for Don't Know.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
On a whim, I thought it might be interesting to look at galaxies which zooites voted ~78% CW, ~18% Edge (and maybe ~5% Merger).

Here are a few:

Respectively:
SDSS J222757.33-000657.1, DR7 ObjId 587731186193858716 (78% CW, 3% ACW, 19% Edge)
SDSS J231142.06+150638.2, 587727223019077666 (CW 76%, 2% ACW, 17% Edge)
SDSS J220840.11+004904.8, 587731187265503493 (CW 80%, 16% Edge, 4% Don't Know).

Hmm, the middle one looks somewhat like our mystery galaxy, don't you think?

Maybe if I looked for a few with a some votes for Merger, but still at least twice as many for Edge? Stay tuned!  ;D

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
I've now looked at ~90 galaxies with similar zooite votes to The Aida Enigma galaxy (in the OOTD), from DR1.

I found several interesting-looking ones, some of which deserve to be posted in one or another of the Stunning sights! or Weird and wonderful threads; I'll do that later.

But I found essentially none that look like The Aida Enigma galaxy.  :( Perhaps the two closest are:

Respectively:
SDSS J232542.16-003405.6 (DR7 ObjId 587731185663279320), 10% Elliptical, 69% CW, 14% Edge, 3% Don't Know, 3% Merger
SDSS J221726.01-090706.0 (DR7 ObjId 587726877809115317), 10% Elliptical, 71% CW, 3% ACW, 13% Edge, 3% Don't Know (this one looks a bit like a distant, and fuzzy, Celtic Knot).

More later (I'm only about half-way through the quick check I want to do, from DR1's Table 2, and haven't started on Table 3 yet), including the next-closest ~five ...

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Two more for today:

Respectively:
SDSS J224214.02+000305.3 (DR7 ObjId 587734304880984255), 81% CW, 2% ACW, 2% Edge, 15% Merger
SDSS J232749.71+150709.2 (DR7 ObjId 587730774959128767), 4% Elliptical, 82% CW, 4% ACW, 7% Edge, 4% Merger

The first one was posted before, by paulrogers, in the Biggest cosmic trainwrecks - Mergers thread, as a Stripe 82 color image:

He wrote: "Pretty spectacular arm being thrown out here.  Being pulled out by the orange galaxy (587734304880984077) above?  Yep. z= 0.1047 & 0.1045  Gotta go to the DR7 images (587734304880984255).  And ObjectExplorer can't find the spectrum for the orange, but "AllSpectra" gets two."

The second one was posted before, by LizPeter, in the Ring Galaxy thread:

They wrote: "We're not too sure if this is a ring but the features look unusual; apart from a bar the outer 'ring' looks distinctly separate from the denser, brighter inner core."

I think the second one has a pretty strong resemblance to The Aida Enigma galaxy: it's a loner (no obvious neighbor messing it up), and if the prominent arms were bluer (and the outer fuzz fainter), ...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:44:13 pm by JeanTate »