Author Topic: suggestion for tutorial  (Read 2212 times)

SuzEJ

• View Profile
suggestion for tutorial
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:17:36 am »
the tutorial is an important instruction manual and there are links to examples of objects that meet the required critreria and those that do not. however, i did think that to go straight from the tutorial to the actual classification is a big step. i know that initially i made a few errors purely down to inexperience and misunderstanding rather than genuine judgement issues. although uncertainty is taken into account since the same image is shown to many other users, i assume that error to inexperience is not really covered by this uncertainty term. what if by chance an image is shown to a cohort of users that happen to be mostly newbies (like me) - there is a risk that there will be high error rate (high number of false positives or false negatives) due to inexperience. a user's discriminatory power will improve over time and only then will the uncertainty will be due to judgement issues rather than inexperience. 

may i suggest that that after the tutorial, a new user has an opportunity to take a short test comprising 10 previously confirmed images. a pass rate of 75% should enable the user to be confident about what to look for. the test should also provide a reason why an answer was incorrect for each question. if the pass rate is low, a user can take another test with different images. the test is not an obligation but would enable the user to be confident about contributing to the scientific community.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:26:21 am by SuzannaJ »

mikeastro

• View Profile
Re: suggestion for tutorial
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:55:21 pm »
I totally agree, having the same problems. this really should be implemented and would probably give better results in the end

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:13:33 am »
We did have a test following the tutorial in the early days, but it was discontinued - people's results seemed to be just as good with or without it, from what I remember. We could suggest it as a confidence booster, though.

noynourfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:51:23 am »
It would be nice to see how others rated an image. Or maybe the 'general' consensus about an image.  At the moment i have no idea if i am anywhere near the right classification with some galaxies...

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:55:21 pm »
Don't try and aim for what everyone else is aiming at! That will bias your classification and the majority may not be "right". In fact, in many cases, there is no right answer. If user classifications were unreliable, the zoo wouldn't be working so well . . . so please trust yourself :) The best tool available is the human eye, and the different things seen by different brains. Also, welcome to the zoo!